Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy released and retained list

edited May 2022 in General Charlton
https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6286075ee9cf5/academy-update-retained-and-released-players

Ness signs a 2 year deal and French a 1 year deal.

The club have triggered contract options for an additional year in Nazir Bakrin, Charles Clayden, Dylan Gavin, Sam Oguntayo and Harris O’Connor.

The club have offered contracts to Euan Williams and Nathan Harvey.

The following academy players will leave the club following the expiration of their contracts:

- Terrell Agyemang

- Wassim Aouachria

- Jimmy Appiah

- Hady Ghandour

- Johl Powell

- James Vennings

- Harry Whitling

Second-year scholars Deji Elerewe and Tyreece Campbell have already signed long-term contracts with the club.

Matt Dench will begin a professional contract with the club in July.

Jason Adigun, Tolu Ladapo, Miles Leaburn, Mack Reilly and Seydil Toure have all been offered new contracts with the club.

Comments

• Options
    Some head scratchers in there, why have they extended Clayden's contract? 

Johl Powell seems a bit of a surprise, unless I am confusing him withsomeone else?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Johl Powell seems a bit of a surprise, unless I am confusing him withsomeone else?
    Claydon seemingly has well out on loan, does Dylan Gavin have a contract already? 

Shame about powell , a Charlton fan 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I thought that about Clayden. Looked up his DOB and he’s pretty much 1 year younger than Dempsey meaning he’ll come under the squad cap if we want to play him in the first team. Maybe we’ll loan him out again to see if he can push on after getting  a bit more experience.

Powell’s soon to turn 21 and was only on loan in the 6th tier so assume we didn’t feel he was close enough to the first team.
  • Options
    They have trigger a years extension for Dylan Gavin
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Claydon seemingly has well out on loan, does Dylan Gavin have a contract already? 

Shame about powell , a Charlton fan 
    Gavin’s in the article, one of a few who’ve had their 1 year extension options activated.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    They have trigger a years extension for Dylan Gavin
    Very happy about that 💚
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I thought that about Clayden. Looked up his DOB and he’s pretty much 1 year younger than Dempsey meaning he’ll come under the squad cap if we want to play him in the first team. Maybe we’ll loan him out again to see if he can push on after getting  a bit more experience.

Powell’s soon to turn 21 and was only on loan in the 6th tier so assume we didn’t feel he was close enough to the first team.
    I think if Clayden was anywhere near good enough he would have got some game time at the start of last season.

I think Powell I am confusing him with someone younger.
  • Options
    Ominous the ones that it says we offered contracts, seems like they'll sign elsewhere then. Especially Adigun
  • Options
    Clayden was impressive by all accounts (Along with Henry) at Wealdstone. They would gladly have the pair of them back.

Maybe Clayden did enough in the eyes of the Charlton staff whilst at Wealdstone to earn a new deal. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vennings is a bit of a surprise.  Showed promise couple of seasons ago .
  • Options
    Vennings is a bit of a surprise.  Showed promise couple of seasons ago .
    Horrible injury record
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Clayden was impressive by all accounts (Along with Henry) at Wealdstone. They would gladly have the pair of them back.

Maybe Clayden did enough in the eyes of the Charlton staff whilst at Wealdstone to earn a new deal. 

Probably a very low cost risk. If he doesn’t impress in pre season, I imagine he will probably be back out on loan in the national league. If he has improved then that could be one less signing we need to make in the summer.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    No mention of Jacob Roddy. Maybe we gave him a 5 year deal?…
    He doesn't come under the Academy, he's our first team left-back. 
  • Options
    Jacob must have been here on rent.
  • Options
    Also pleased to see Sam Oguntayo has been given another year.

Must have been injured as hardly played.  Could be ideal as a wing back.

And yes, what about Roddy?  Even with all the politics he deserves a goodbye as much as anyone else.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sad to see Johl go, a big Charlton fan. Has been a victim of his own versatility, can play in 4 or 5 positions but never really shone in any, probably due to not have one settled position.
  • Options
    Only seen Powell once but I remember reading that others rated him quite highly so slightly surprised at that. Vennings is a bit of a blow cos a couple of years ago i thought he could be a reasonable option in the midfield area. seemed a tidy player. 

Wonder if Maidstone will pick up a couple of these players such as Powell and Ghandour? 
  • Options
    Surprised Nathan Harvey has been offered another contract, when he seemed to have fallen down the pecking order of young keepers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pleased to see Ness signed for another 2 years - I actually think he’s got more promise than Deji 
  • Options
    Shame about Ghandour, thought he was one to watch
  • Options
    Very surprised by Johl Powell. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I too thought Powell was highly rated
  • Options
    Haven't seen enough of the players released to have a strong opinion either way but no real surprises.

Vennings was thrown in young and looked lightweight but TBF has had injuries and may have a decent career in the National League. Clayden looked promising in pre season but again didn't take his chance when played in Papa John's and may have played against Wimbledon at the Valley in the League cup which we lost 1-0 ?

Nathan Jones U21 side must've had the highest amount of players who got pro contracts I can recall. Bradley Jordan(such a great kid) and the Irish CB who went back to Ireland and changed to Gaelic football are the only two from that team or squad that didn't from memory. 

Ajayi now would've been offered 3 year contract but only offered 6 months I believe so moved on.
    I said both Michael Smith and Joe Pigott would've decent career but maybe not at Cafc !
    Pope and Holmes-Dennis were my naps but Pope had that weakness ( hard straight shot low at his body) which he has eradicated.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    And another one gone who we could use to postpone games due to international  call ups. Looks like we will be playing all through the WC.
  • Options
    With the amount of people ITK on CL, last survey said 87 I'm surprised that it's not clear what's has happened to Jacob Roddy?
    He was a very left field signing.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    And another one gone who we could use to postpone games due to international  call ups. Looks like we will be playing all through the WC.
    To say nothing of giving me the perfect excuse, other than being peckish, to "sample" (pronounced "wolf down vast quantities of...") the many delights of Lebanese cuisine...
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Don’t think Lebanon quite made it anyway!