Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beatles or Abba

I love all forms of music
Last night lots of stuff about Abba on tv

Both groups had roughly the same chart life span
The Beatles 62-70
Abba 74-82

The Beatles would edge it for me but probably one of my favourite songs was not a single
Eagle by Abba

Comments

• Options
    The Beatles - no contest for me but my wife would disagree
  • Options
    Beatles, never liked Abba
  • Options
    The Beatles, obviously.

I really don't like ABBA, overplayed, repetitive, and saccharine. 
  • Options
    The Beatles - no contest.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Beatles are one of my favourite bands so hands down them.

AbbA have written some great songs though.

Winner takes it all is a belter
  • Options
    ABBA or Queen 

Who represents the worst of 1970s music?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Abba or the cheeky girls would be closer. 
    Both crap.
  • Options
    The Beatles.

Without the Beatles there never would have been ABBA…
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Both crap.

Admin:
    Can you please take away the 27 likes I have given Blackpool over the last 8 years.
    (Normally when he told Roland to eff off !)

• Options
    Jints said:
    Beatles or Stones is a valid question. Beatles or Abba is not.
    STILL The Beatles...
  • Options
    I can't stand Abba. They're like a 70s version of Steps.
  • Options
    Do you like a steak dinner (vegan comparison ) or a Knickerbocker glory.

Talking of knickers I will admit I did sometimes watch ABBA with the sound down but staring at Agnetha and Anni-Frid backsides; Benny and Bjorn I never noticed.

I was young and straight and no dancing Queen.

Beatles lyrics once they got past She loves you and I wanna hold your hand are excellent and are still relevant today.

• Options
    ABBA or Queen 

Queen. Utter cack, music for people who hate music, to be played to crowds of muppets with foam hands in leisure centres in new towns with no football team, where a boring, shit indoor sport has just finished and noone gives a flying one.

• Options
    Both crap.

Admin:
    Can you please take away the 27 likes I have given Blackpool over the last 8 years.
    (Normally when he told Roland to eff off !)

I take it back.

The cheeky girls ain't crap
    🤣
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Great question, they both have so much in common.  Both had some very good musicians, both had a lot of hits, but ultimately both were overrated. Both were groundbreaking in their own ways: The Beatles demonstrating that Brits could do rock music; ABBA proving that Europop could be successful outside of national boundaries. Both had silly contrived names with unusual spellings. Both bands were better at songwriting than performing as evidenced by the fact that the best recorded music from their cannons came in the form of cover versions. For the avoidance of doubt that's Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Day Before You Came by Blancmange. Both were clever enough to produce their best work in their second language. ABBA choosing English over their native Swedish. The Beatles choosing  English over their native Scouse. On their work together, it's therefore difficult for the discerning listener to judge either one as better than the other. We could look at their post-band works which are in both cases impressive. ABBA providing the writing partnership behind several successful successful west end musicals,  The Beatles providing the second best Thomas The Tank narrator there has ever been (coming second only to the god-like Michael Angelis) and the world's greatest chaperone of one-legged models. It is just so hard to pull these bands two apart. I'm just going to have to don my Stig The Sexist hat and give it to ABBA on the grounds that Agnetha was prettier than Ringo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gob smacked that anyone would ever compare the two?
    As a pure ‘pop music’ group ABBA are amongst the very best…..if not the best.
    When it comes to The Beatles…..they were way off into the stratosphere as far as being a pop group is concerned……..of course they never were classified as  ‘pop music’ musicians….thank god.

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    ABBA or Queen 

Queen. Utter cack, music for people who hate music, to be played to crowds of muppets with foam hands in leisure centres in new towns with no football team, where a boring, shit indoor sport has just finished and noone gives a flying one.

I need to buy you a drink 
  • Options
    Wu Tang
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    MrLargo said:
    Never liked ABBA, but…
    I somehow got roped into DJ’ing at ITN parties in the 1990s (and a couple of ITN weddings) and much as I thought I was a cool alt / rare groove DJ (lol) I actually discovered that Dancing Queen is one of the greatest floor fillers of all time (and incredibly well produced). Nought wrong with a bit of cheesiness from time to time. 
    (Other floor fillers were That’s the Way I Like it, Sex Machine, Funky Nassau, and a Hamilton Bohannon number the title of which I’ve forgotten).  Oh, and Born Slippy worked back in the day as well. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    MrLargo said:
    Never liked ABBA, but…
    I somehow got roped into DJ’ing at ITN parties in the 1990s (and a couple of ITN weddings) and much as I thought I was a cool alt / rare groove DJ (lol) I actually discovered that Dancing Queen is one of the greatest floor fillers of all time (and incredibly well produced). Nought wrong with a bit of cheesiness from time to time. 
    (Other floor fillers were That’s the Way I Like it, Sex Machine, Funky Nassau, and a Hamilton Bohannon number the title of which I’ve forgotten).  Oh, and Born Slippy worked back in the day as well. 
    How about…It’s raining men…..The Weather Girls.
    That’s a great one for filling the dance floor.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    MrLargo said:
    Never liked ABBA, but…
    https://youtu.be/8LZ3rJofS0U
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    MrLargo said:
    Never liked ABBA, but…
    How about…It’s raining men…..The Weather Girls.
    That’s a great one for filling the dance floor.
    Hmm, there are limits you know. 
  • Options
    If I was driving in my car on a long journey, then Abba, easy listening, however, overall, Beatles for me.
  • Options
    How can you say ABBA over the Beatles?! 

Beatles all day. 
  • Options
    Neither, listen to the Stones all day long.