Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Martin Robinson (NOT an RIP !!!)

One for those of us at a certain age……

I’m in my early 50’s, so Martin was a regular in the early 80’s Charlton teams for me as a young lad - good player - I liked him - for a winger, I note that in Valiant 500 he scored 100 league goals - impressive 

He will be mid 60’s now - anyone know what he did in later life ?

Hope he is still with us 

What is he up to now ?

Apologies for those who haven’t a clue who this player is - he just popped into my head tonight !!!

Comments

• Options
    One for those of us at a certain age……

I’m in my early 50’s, so Martin was a regular in the early 80’s Charlton teams for me as a young lad - good player - I liked him - for a winger, I note that in Valiant 500 he scored 100 league goals - impressive 

He will be mid 60’s now - anyone know what he did in later life ?

Hope he is still with us 

What is he up to now ?

Apologies for those who haven’t a clue who this player is - he just popped into my head tonight !!!
    One of my favourite players from that era (Who’s that scoring goals, who’s that scoring goals). I think he ended up at Cambridge. 
  • Options
    Yes remember him well. Also one of my favourite players from that time. Winger and scored a few goals. Consistently decent.
  • Options
    Loved his attitude and work rate, makes the players we have now look pedestrian 
  • Options
    Working in the City last I heard.
  • Options
    One of my all time favourites. Used to get the right hump as a kid if he wasn’t playing. 
  • Options
    Very good player. Signed from Spurs for about 25k I think.
    Scored some very valuable goals including a brace that saved us from relegation from the old 2nd Division.
    Met him and had a good chat on the District Line Tube, years after he'd finished playing.
    He was working as a chef then in the City, and was living in Aveley near Thurrock.
  • Options
    Another good player that just seemed to drift away from the club for no reason, when he was still playing well. 

Watch the run he makes in the Crystal Palace away game 0-2...when he sets Hales up for a tap in (which Hales manages to balls up).....absolutely brilliant. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Taken in Feb at ‘an evening with’ Paddy, Robinson (2nd left) Terry Naylor and Tony Want.

looked very good for his age and had some great stories 
  • Options

Cheers for that, just reminded me that I went to watch Gillingham v York with my Dad and Gills supporting uncle down from his home in Lincoln. 

Poor game but Robbo scored the only goal in the last minute. Forgot he played for them. 

Remember him grinning like a Cheshire cat wearing an awful green caudroy jacket at Carlisle station when the players caught the same train home as the fans after securing promotion in 81.
  • Options
    As the owner of green corduroy trousers and a green corduroy sofa, I object. Martin Robinson is clearly a fashion icon.
  • Options
    don’t remember Tony Want Want Want 
  • Options
    Just googled him  he played 50 times for spurs and 150 for Birmingham And in USA for a couple of teams 
  • Options
    Who's that scoring goals.....great player for us back in the day.
  • Options
    I think he started out as pretty much an out and out striker. Moved over to the left wing once Paul Walsh came in to partner Hales. He was a useful player but his his right foot was only used to stand on.
  • Options
    Thought he was great, gave his all most games and a tidy finisher. Loved his goal in the 2-1 defeat at Spurs where we went 1 up after i think about 9 mins, then held off till the last 15 mins. I am sure Spurs had two penalties that day and missed one.
  • Options
    There's a Robinson goal in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zHEdYbcnS0

Also Steve Gritt with hair.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT0TbxEiiBI

20 seconds into this.....proper wing-play by Martin Robinson and an amazing miss by Derek Hales/amazing save by Paul Barron.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Paul Barron is my cousin in law.
  • Options
    He played more games for Welling than any of his other clubs.
  • Options
    Working in the City last I heard.
    Wouldn't surprise me, his wife worked at the Bank of England.
  • Options
    He played more games for Welling than any of his other clubs.
    His uncle Len Scott played for Chelsea I think but was a big name at Erith and Belvedere. Think there was an event acknowledging him about 3-5 years ago? The stand might even be named after him - I think  Paul came back from the States for it.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Had a good perm as well
    liked him as a player , prepared to have a go in the positive sense unlike our current squad full of crabs 
    His hair was like fannies of the day, his hair now is the same as fannies of  today.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If I remember rightly he also had a long throw. I enjoyed watching that side, full of enterprise and quite a bit of guile and skill.
  • Options
    A really underrated player...today he would be scape goat potential but did a lot for the team.  His goal scoring ratio not the best but a genuinely good player.
    If you offered us a winger who scored in excess of one every four games, we’d bite your hand off. 
  • Options
    A really underrated player...today he would be scape goat potential but did a lot for the team.  His goal scoring ratio not the best but a genuinely good player.
    If you offered us a winger who scored in excess of one every four games, we’d bite your hand off. 
    Agreed.
    However for much of his time with us he played as an out and out striker.
  • Options
    Was one of the only players who could read what Alan Simonsen intended if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT0TbxEiiBI

20 seconds into this.....proper wing-play by Martin Robinson and an amazing miss by Derek Hales/amazing save by Paul Barron.
    Not a great save, shocking miss by Killer.