Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andrew Symonds RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gutted by this. Grew up watching him at Kent and along with Rob Key is my absolute favourite. Super talented and a real entertainer. A genuine legend and a big reason why I love cricket. RIP.
  • Options
    He hosted the Shane Warne tribute at the MCG a few weeks ago. Loved his year with Kent 😢😢
    Spent a good 2/3 years with Kent didnt he? 
    More than that even. 
  • Options
    saw him blast a number of sixes at Beckenham in the early days of the 20/20 .. a really destructive batsman and seemed to be a happy go lucky character .. R I P
  • Options
    Dreadful news.

RIP
  • Options
    Got to know Andrew Symonds very well during the 11 years I worked for KCCC and have a good number of stories about him, many of which I couldn’t repeat here. What I would say is that several of his best innings for Kent were after he had had a good night out!
    The only person who could keep him in check was his then wife Brooke, who was just half his size.
    A fierce competitor at all times, Kent were a much better side with him in their starting eleven. He always seemed to get the best out of his team mates.
    He will be sadly missed. RIP my friend.
    I remember listening to Ed Smith talk about him, before they infamously fell out.  He said he would do anything for a team mate.  I gather ES was doing a talk to kids when they were both at Kent and AS insisted on staying for it and helped put chairs out and clear up afterwards.  I also recall him bowling endlessly once against a strong Surrey at Canterbury once - Murali was also playing  for Kent .  I don’t think we’ve had an overseas player in the last 25 years that has given more to Kent .  Gutted .  
  • Options
    Saw him play many times for Kent - cracking player - how sad 

Thoughts with his wife and children

RIP
  • Options
    R.I.P Roy . Rob Key has lost 2 good friends in cricket this year
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Watched him a lot in the Kent years as was living by the cricket ground in Canterbury and used my quieter lecture days etc wisely!  

Really exciting player to watch, type where there's more of a buzz when he's in.

Sad one.

RIP.
  • Options
    Born in Birmingham and was adopted with whom he then moved to Oz. Shame he never played for us as he was a superb player, particularly in limited overs. RIP
    If you ever met him you’d know he was a proper old school Aussie bush man. Was never in a million years going to play for England.
    Correct, he'd have lasted about three weeks with the stuffed shirts that run English cricket.

Symonds was arguably one of the last old school players, he smoked and drank and had no time for all the social media bullshit.

I saw him play for QLD vs VIC in a Day/Night 50 over game at the Gabba and he smashed Warne out of the attack, including a six into the top tier of the three-tier stand, amazing power.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lovely obituary in today's 'Times' .. we'll worth a read if you get a chance .. one comment made while he was deep in drink about the new England cricket coach is VERY rude .. Andrew never knew his natural parents, he was adopted as a baby by two schoolteachers .. he told a very amusing yet poignant story about the first few days after his adoption .. R I P
  • Options
    RIP