Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town | Saturday 23rd April 2022 @ 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Shrewsbury Town
Saturday 23rd April 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Sam Purkiss

Introduction
Well we've finally made it, we're at the penultimate game of the season, and the final one to be held on the hallowed turf at the Valley before the pitch is no doubt ripped up ready for the next season - Its almost been a trial by fire when it comes to travelling to SE7 this season, and when this season is consigned to the history books, I doubt there will be many who'll want to delve back into its archives - Shrewsbury Town travel down from Shropshire for this final home encounter of the 2021/22 season.

The Opposition
Name: Shrewsbury Town (17th) | Manager: Steve Cotterill
Ground: The New Meadow
Previous Meeting: Shrewsbury Town 1-0 Charlton Athletic

Both sides go into this game safe in the knowledge that this'll be another League One fixture next season so I wouldn't expect too many fireworks - Matches against Salop, have in the past been uneventful encounters (apart from their destiny season with the Play-Offs), goals have certainly been hard to come by, with only five goals scored in the last three outings between these two sides.

It was a Saturday afternoon in late November when these two sides last met - Charlton were already showing continued signs of what has been a struggle on the road, even under Johnnie Jackson, having travelled to Shropshire off the back of a 2-2 draw at Morecambe. Our performance against Shrewsbury was nothing special, and there were no doubt bitter laughs as Daniel Udoh ensured that the points would stay with the home side, a contentious decision, with almost the last kick of the game.

In recent weeks; Shrewsbury have put in the type of form that like Charlton has kept them at arms reach from the fight for the relegation zone - Since March they've lost on just three occasions, picking up three wins (including an impressive 3-0 win at Rotherham), and four draws, they are however winless in April so are no doubt on their mental holidays.

I certainly wouldn't expect us to be discussing a classic come full time at 8pm tomorrow evening.

Charlton Team News
I cant lie, and would be surprised if many aren't feeling the same way... its difficult to watch this same Charlton side being played even with our place in League One assured next season, when we could be putting points and league placings aside, and instead focusing on potential players that could step up, be a part of next season, and so potentially save us the need to dip into the transfer market.

Of course many of our U23s (Aaron Henry | Dylan Gavin) are impressing on loan, and cannot be recalled - Whilst the likes of our U18s are still getting used to the step up to the next level (even if some like Karoy Anderson aren't even 18 yet) - Yet with Contract Negotiations still to take place for many being involved at the moment, you have to wonder what the point is of them playing, if there is no intention for those negotiations to take place? - Oh yeah... Ryan Inniss finally returns from suspension, so will surely take Deji Elerewe's place in the matchday squad at the very least.

MacGillivray
Clare - Pearce - Famewo
Matthews - Dobson - Gilbey - Blackett-Taylor
Morgan
Stockley - Burstow

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Inniss - Forster-Caskey - Leko - Aneke - Washington - Jaiyesimi

Prediction
Ultimately I suspect this'll be a game that'll have little excitement and emotion from either the stands or on the pitch - Many of the Charlton squad will be fighting to show they deserve a Contract, not just here in SE7 but to any prospective scouts and clubs that may have them on their radars - It wont be surprising if we see a Charlton win, but like last week, we shouldn't be surprised if we get to witness one last capitulation if the going should get tough.

Comments

• Options
    Must win if we're to have any chance of reaching the playoffs.

0-0.
  • Options
    There is no point playing Burstow ahead of Washington. That is a recipe to fail. No Washington means no win, simple as that. There is no point playing any of the loan players (apart from Famewo where we have no cover, with Purrington injured), and they should not be on the bench either. Surely this is the time to give a couple of our youngsters some first team experience?

Sadly, I think we will see Matthews and Gilbey again, but I would rather see DJ over Matthews and anyone over Gilbey!

It will be good to finally draw a line under this season (at least at The Valley).

If Washington is starting then I think we will win. If Burstow starts then at best we will draw. 
  • Options
    COYR
  • Options
    Bitter sweet preview full of foreboding and a touch of painful disillusionment.  

I will be tuning in but God only knows why. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I think Shrewsbury could be a dark horse for next season. Experienced manager. Don’t leak many goals. 

1-1
  • Options
    I hope Yann's voice is as beautiful as his face
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I hope that JFC and Washington start in place of Gilbey and Burstow. I also wondered if Jacko might give Inniss a game if no final decision's been made on whether or not to release him but who knows. 

Games against Shrewsbury are rarely exciting and they've been a bit of a bogey side for us over the years. Let's hope the team put on a decent show for the long suffering home support - 9 wins, 4 draws and 9 defeats this season is a very poor return at The Valley.
  • Options
    Please do not play any loanees and give a couple of kids a chance. This is a match that has no significance outside the sphere of these two clubs so let's start getting ready for next season.
  • Options
    9-0
  • Options
    Whoo-hooo last game!! The dreaded Slop, cannot stand them!!! For that reason, 4-0 to the mighty Addicks!! Roll on next season!!!
  • Options
    Same team as Tuesday night & same result. 

2-0 home win.
  • Options
    Thanks for an honest preview. 
    I’m  only going to see that French bloke. 
    I heard he was quite good back in the day 
    #ourcantona
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I'll be in the Bull in Woolwich and will have my usual 4 pints  (opens at Noon, no bar queues, jump on train at 2.30, at match by 2.50) watching a Prem game thinking wistfully about years gone by. It has acted like a local anaesthetic all season as it will do tomorrow as I then  head off to watch awful football at the Valley. Have renewed for next season of course...😂
  • Options
    Good preview mate. Just one thing, we’re in season 2021/22 as I bloody well hope we aren’t in the same situation in 2022/23!

Inniss and Forster-Caskey into the starting 11, Washington keeps his place.

Looking forward to the walk tomorrow and hopefully leaving The Valley with 3 points. The players in the squad would do well to learn a thing or two from some French bloke who will be there tomorrow. How we could do with anyone half as good as him.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Shrewsbury Town
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    MacGillivray
    Inniss - Pearce - Famewo
    Dobson
    Jaiyesimi - Morgan - F.Caskey - B.Taylor
    Washington - Stockley

4-0 gains us that 12th spot and we finish there after a 0-0 next week.
  • Options
    Boring Draw 1-1. Innis header. 
  • Options
    Thanks for preview FA.  See you next season (hopefully).
  • Options
    End season with a bang. 

4-0 Addicks 

sets us up for next season 
  • Options
    4-1
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing Yann again more than the game. Nevertheless 3-1 to CAFC Stockley hits No 20, Washington and Chuks leave hope for next season in our hearts and minds
  • Options
    Looking at the sides coming down plus those that miss out on promotion, getting a top half finish next year is a seemingly impossible task unless a lot of fecal matter is togethered.  Meantime, the Titans of Charlton playing the Giants of Shrewsbury haggling for which teams finish between 12th and 17th in Div 3 is not really getting the juices flowing. 

That said….. 6-3 to Charlton…..
  • Options
    Is it next season yet..?
  • Options
    I hate it when the season comes to an end.
    Poxy tennis n stuff.
    Any news of the pre season friendlies?
  • Options
    Is it next season yet..?
    Hang in there mate, nearly there, let's just get these last couple of game sorted with nice wins then we can all revert to moaning about rumours that don't materialize, pre season friendlies that are boring and the "we should be aiming higher" stuff, then off we go again...relax while you can... B)