Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The exodus begins (Watson, Gunter. Souare to be released)

edited April 2022 in General Charlton
https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-trio-will-be-leaving-club-this-summer-no-fresh-terms-will-be-tabled/

No shocks there. The question will be whether that's it, or just the first wave. 

Comments

• Options
    👋
  • Options
    YES! Gunter and Watson are finally leaving!

Thanks for the memories lads. 

• Options
    Hope that's just the start to be honest.
    I think we all do Neil.
  • Options
    That shows up the nonsense of not signing a decent attacking LB last summer when Purrington was injured, and instead hoping Souare could do the job, despite his long injury absence

• Options
    edited April 2022
    No surprise but good to see it confirmed.

Decisions to come on:

Henderson
    Matthews
    Inniss
    Pearce
    Purrington
    JFC
    Davison
    Washington

Plus 6 loanees will be going:

Famewo
    Castillo
    Lee
    John
    Leko
    Burstow

Also have Kirk who seems likely he’ll be sold or loaned out again.

On replacements TS said 2-5 permanents and 5 or 6 loans to come in. That must be assuming no one under contract is unexpectedly sold.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    The three most obvious one to start off with. A bit of a non story as most of them have not been seen since 2021.
  • Options
    I'm gutted, I'll have to bat my cafc souare tattoo changed!!!
  • Options
    hopefully the start of a massive clear out - im not too well versed on whos contracts are up. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Mr Dangerfield is not hanging around then…
    It says they won't be offered new terms it doesn't mention the main reason is Danger mouse lost the paper work.......

It's hardly surprising and not really an acid test of our summer.   That will come later, probably much later.

It will be intresting what Watson does next, really would not be suprised if he gets a coaching gig here.  If it's apart of a set up under a new manager and Jackson and Euall both go that could be intresting..... Still find it amazing that his 6 league starts cost us the 35 points we needed to get promoted :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Maybe they should have waited until Season Ticket sales were a little bit higher - How can they expect people to purchase an ST when three legends of the club are treated with such distain.

I for one cant wait to deservedly vote them into the Hall of Fame 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Decisions to come on:

Henderson
    Matthews
    Inniss
    Pearce
    Purrington
    JFC
    Davison
    Washington

Famewo
    Castillo
    Lee
    John
    Leko
    Burstow

On replacements TS said 2-5 permanents and 5 or 6 loans to come in. That must be assuming no one under contract is unexpectedly sold.
    My guess as to what will happen

Henderson - definitely released
    Matthews - 50/50 chances of a FOURTH one year deal
    Inniss - 50/50
    Pearce - 50/50 player/coach role but the squad number rules count against having a player/coach
    Purrington - 50/50 depending on who else stays
    JFC - new contract offered
    Davison - new contract offered but might choose to leave to get regular football
    Washington - new contract offered

Of course the players may choose not to stay themselves, even if offered a new deal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Decisions to come on:

Henderson
    Matthews
    Inniss
    Pearce
    Purrington
    JFC
    Davison
    Washington

Famewo
    Castillo
    Lee
    John
    Leko
    Burstow

My guess as to what will happen

Henderson - definitely released
    Matthews - 50/50 chances of a FOURTH one year deal
    Inniss - 50/50
    Pearce - 50/50 player/coach role but the squad number rules count against having a player/coach
    Purrington - 50/50 depending on who else stays
    JFC - new contract offered
    Davison - new contract offered but might choose to leave to get regular football
    Washington - new contract offered

Of course the players may choose not to stay themselves, even if offered a new deal
    isn't the option of a second year Charlton's decision?
  • Options
    I’d completely forgotten Pape Soure even played for us 
  • Options
    WIOTOS I'll start rejoicing.
    I imagine they will hold back on any official announcement until decisions have been made on all OOC players.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’d completely forgotten Pape Soure even played for us 
    I wonder what he does? Is he even asked to come into training, does he train with the kids, or is he just paid to sit at home playing Fortnite with John and Castillo?
  • Options
    The lack of news about Matthews is worrying. 

Hopefully just means they plan on playing him the rest of the season before moving him on. 

I can't deal with another 1 year contract for the waste of space. 
    I think people will be disappointed by the number of expirers who stay. The real test will be whether we're doing it because we've shrugged our shoulders and lost interest or because we've targeted a very good first choice RB and Matthews is the cheapest and most easily available backup. Same at LB, if we're spending a lot on a good LB then the Purrington renewal may be the cheapest option for a player we're not intending to play much anyway. It will an interesting and possibly depressing indicator of what our transfer plans look like
  • Options
    I can see us keeping more defenders than we’d like because so many are out of contract or on loan.

I’ll be disappointed if Inniss stays as he doesn’t play enough games and when fit can’t play twice a week.

Can see Pearce staying as back up for Lavelle.

I’d like to see Matthews go. Could see DJ as the back up RWB but it could leave us short if we need to switch to a back four, though Clare moving across is an option.

Purrington will probably stay as a versatile squad player.

Davison might step up to L1 in time but he’s never going to get the game time he needs here to develop. Not realistic to loan him out for a year or two at his age when he can get a a good longer term deal elsewhere.