Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone know anything about motorbike licences on here?

I passed the A2 test in 1999, but didn't put in for full entitlement within the 2 years of passing (genuinely didn't know I had to until looking at the pass certificate in more recent years). 

It says that I have 2 years from the date of passing to claim full entitlement and that if I don't, I'll have to take both tests again. The question is, does that mean the A2 licence is now void, or that I'll now have to do 2 test to get full entitlement?

Comments

• Options

• Options
    I should imagine the legislation is still the same.
    However as we all know, DVLA do change things from time to time.
    email them (phoning them used to be good but is a nightmare nowadays), they are pretty good at replying 
  • Options
    Pretty sure you'll need to do both reading that line of text, but definitely reach out to them to check.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Pretty sure you'll need to do both reading that line of text, but definitely reach out to them to check.
    Yeah that's what I thought initially, but then I thought it could mean that I'd need to take the tests just to get full entitlement and the A2 licence would still be vallied. 

I'll give them a email this week. There's not a lot on the Internet about it. Even recognised motorbike sites give conflicting info. Seems a lot of confusion for anyone who has anything other than the full bike licence.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Yeah that's what I thought initially, but then I thought it could mean that I'd need to take the tests just to get full entitlement and the A2 licence would still be vallied. 

I'll give them a email this week. There's not a lot on the Internet about it. Even recognised motorbike sites give conflicting info. Seems a lot of confusion for anyone who has anything other than the full bike licence.
    Usually when you do your CBT you have to complete your full test within two years or have to redo both so assume this is the same. I did my CBT maybe 8 years ago then bike test 2 weeks before my CBT ran out.
  • Options
    Yeah looks like you'll have to start again. You do your CBT, then I believe it's a year to complete parts 1 (fixed manoeuvres on a standardised pan) and 2 (riding in road traffic).
  • Options
    Back in 1999, I think it was a choice to do a "direct access" test to get your A licence, allowing you to basically go out the following day and get on a Busa 1300, or the one I took that meant you could ride anything upto a certain kW output (think it was upto about 500cc / 47kW at the time). I only wanted to ride my LI150 Silver Special (190cc) so just done the 2nd option, but never realised I had to put it through within the 2 years. Pretty sure none of the instructors or examiner said anyhing or I'd have definitely done it straight away. 
  • Options
    I've watched Police Interceptors and you don't need to worry about a licence these days.
    You can drive/ride with no licence, no tax, no insurance, pissed, high on class A, up the wrong side of a motorway and then reverse into the old bill and you'll be let off with a caution.
  • Options
    Watching those shows, it's very clear that fines are cheaper than tax or insurance. 
  • Options
    Does that mean you've been driving on the road for the best part of 23 years without actually taking a test. 

No wonder why there are so many mopeds with L plates on. Coming back home last week on the South Circular I pulled up at traffic lights in Forest Hill. In the time it took the lights to go green 3 "fast food" delivery riders pulled out in front of me to get ahead of the queue. All 3 had L plates on. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does that mean you've been driving on the road for the best part of 23 years without actually taking a test. 

No wonder why there are so many mopeds with L plates on. Coming back home last week on the South Circular I pulled up at traffic lights in Forest Hill. In the time it took the lights to go green 3 "fast food" delivery riders pulled out in front of me to get ahead of the queue. All 3 had L plates on. 
    You can fail your CBT so technically not. 

You need to have done your Part 1 (Off Road Manoeuvres) and Part 2 (On Road) to actually ride anything larger than 125cc. 
  • Options
    I only had my Lambretta for about 2 and a half years, so was covered by the licence for most of that time.

The test slip I shared weren't a CBT @Dazzler21. It's the A2 test slip I got so I could ride a Lambretta which was a 190cc. You have to take a number of hours of lessons (compulsory I think), followed by a test that can be failed. I passed it and got the slip posted above, which had to be submited to the DVLA with the 2 years. I never submited it so forfeited the right to ride bikes / scooters covered on the A2 licence
  • Options

That means L for “lunch on board.”
  • Options
    Pah, mere boys!!, GET YOURSELF AN HGV CLASS 1 (C+E). A mans licence for men...Grrrrh!