Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What’s the latest on Charlie Barker?

Seem to remember he was going to be the next one to come through our system and make the grade….played a few games and then was curiously shipped off on loan to Wealdstone, one assumes to further his progress.
Heard nowt since?

Comments

• Options
    Our academy in recent years, much like our recruitment policy really ain't all it's cracked up to be.
  • Options
    I’m not convinced by him, as Henry said he only played because older players weren’t eligible.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Have we had anyone since Gomez or Lookman who's really kicked on? 

Edit: just remembered Doughty in fairness 
  • Options
    Phillips, Aribo, Grant
  • Options
    Our academy in recent years, much like our recruitment policy really ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    Incredibly inaccurate statement. 
  • Options
    Thought he looked an excellent prospect in the first team, then just disappeared.
    Steve Brown was also questioning his whereabouts a few weeks back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aribo, Dijksteel, Phillips, Grant, Sarmiento (spellling) at Brighton, Beadle snatched by Brighton, Burstow by Chelsea.
    Konsa too.
  • Options
    Honestly I don't get why people keep naming him as the next big thing. He was used because we had no-one else to play, nothing more, nothing less. He's a bang average defender in the under 23's, nothing more, nothing less. He's not on the level of Gomez, Konsa, even Dijksteel or Elewere. If he makes it I'll be amazed, but I expect his career to follow Yado Mambo's more than Joe Gomez'. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    sam3110 said:
    Honestly I don't get why people keep naming him as the next big thing. He was used because we had no-one else to play, nothing more, nothing less. He's a bang average defender in the under 23's, nothing more, nothing less. He's not on the level of Gomez, Konsa, even Dijksteel or Elewere. If he makes it I'll be amazed, but I expect his career to follow Yado Mambo's more than Joe Gomez'. 
    The answer is that he “was” touted as being a very good prospect….not by me or any other fan but by some media sources and club officials.
    Whereas he most likely did get to play because no one else was available, he also most definitely was held up to be a big up-and coming talent.
    So maybe you get it now.🧐

• Options
    Wasn’t he a famous Jazz Saxophonist also known as Bird, who sadly passed in 1955 aged just 34 but, young though that may be, it appears he ran all the way there?
  • Options
    Barker and Elerewe (since early promise) have had fairly injury hit and probably forgettable seasons?
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Recalled from his loan at Hemel Hempstead

Injured?
    Bench tomorrow?
  • Options
    Covering for Jerry Lee Lewis at the Brixton Academy?
  • Options
    Bit unfortunate for Hemel Hempstead, but means he gets to move back into the National League.
  • Options
    That's a weird one, I wonder why we recalled him as if we were so concerned that NLS was too low a level, why did we let him go there in the first place?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Signed for Wealdstone permanently. They finished mid table in the NL last season.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/released-charlton-athletic-defender-seals-non-league-move/

We’ve got a lot of promising CBs coming through which must be one reason he’s gone - several players who are seen as better prospects.

Ness and Mitchell in the first team squad. Elerewe pushing to make that step up. Bakrin and Toure in the u21s with Laqeretabua hopefully joining them.
  • Options
    We've got quite a few links with Wealdstone these days, haven't we?

Good luck to him, hope he does well.
  • Options
    Good luck to him, hope he can himself back up the leagues. a good reminder to kids breaking through that there are no guarantees 
  • Options
    Glad to see he's got himself a Contract elsewhere.
  • Options
    Best wishes Charlie.
    An example where our development system will produce loads of players who make a bit of a living out of football, it ranges from Joe Gomez to Jack Munns and points in between.
  • Options
    Glad to see he has got himself a contract. So young when he played.for us but showed grit and. determination and some skill.
  • Options
    Enjoyed that. Thanks for posting 

Hayes is a big loss to the youth set up
  • Options
    Really enjoyed reading that. 
    Only a handful of games for us but he is a proper trier who gave max effort each time. 
    I hope his continued hard work pays off and he makes a living in the game. 
    Seems a good egg and one that deserves to make it from his effort and guts.