Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

“Limbs”

Saw this doing the rounds over the weekend from Watford vs Leeds (it’s the away end after a goal).

Chatting with mates last week and also saw an article on the topic from a disabled supporter talking about their concerns about this sort of behaviour going forward, and it definitely got me thinking. 

The viral trend of “limbs” is becoming rather boring now isn’t it?

Don’t get me wrong - it is an incredible sight, and I’ve always loved watching it on goal highlights, being a part of it for a big goal etc. But it feels like when it’s got to nonsense like the below, it is just becoming increasingly staged.

At some point it is going to end in tears (or a lot worse).

Discuss.

Comments

• Options
    No idea what this is 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    No idea what this is 
    They're all tired and settling down for a power nap.
  • Options
    It doesn't look staged to me.
    It looks like they've tumbled over the seats.
    4 of the 7 odd on their backs are in their 50's or 60's.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    No idea what this is 
    It's a phase of being extra dramatic while celebrating and falling over. No idea how fans managed to avoid doing it upto now.

The same middle aged men probably moan about kids shinging torches on phones.
  • Options
    Let’s hope they get away with less injuries than @Clem_Snide got at Villa Park 4-3 :-) 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Saw this doing the rounds over the weekend from Watford vs Leeds (it’s the away end after a goal).

Chatting with mates last week and also saw an article on the topic from a disabled supporter talking about their concerns about this sort of behaviour going forward, and it definitely got me thinking. 

Don’t get me wrong - it is an incredible sight, and I’ve always loved watching it on goal highlights, being a part of it for a big goal etc. But it feels like when it’s got to nonsense like the below, it is just becoming increasingly staged.

Discuss.

Without knowing which one of their goals this was for (i'm going to assume the second that effectively sealed the win), it was a big goal. Puts 9 points between them and the bottom 3 and effectively keeps them in the PL next season. If results had gone against them this weekend, they'd only be 3 points from the drop with 4 tough games coming up.
  • Options
    I agree with Tom.  I think people still get lost in the moment, and so they should, but it’s become a thing.  There’s a twitter handle dedicated to it, and although I am sure a lot of it is ‘the moment’ there’s also a lot of over egging it.  

When we got promoted 3 seasons ago, there were plenty of games where I got caught up in and enjoyed it.  Same for the season in the Championship.  When we’ve played like we have this season, I struggle to see how that can conjure up the same excitement and ‘limbs’ we had during that period.  

Leeds have a great fan base and I think it’s mostly genuine, with a few going out there way to throw themselves 4 or 5 rows in front of themselves, but someone like Arsenal doing it for example, a club and set of fans with no backbone, then you know it’s manufactured.

I remember Kenilworth road and Solly’s equaliser.  Such a tight stadium I got pushed forward in the surge and the bloke in front lost his balance and broke his glasses, and I almost took out voice of the valley writer John Ingram’s crutch so I can see the safety element to it as well.

I don’t know when but I think it may die down a bit as time goes on.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    There's a fine line here.

Throwing your arms and legs in the air = "limbs" = good banter

Waving your third leg in the air = "indecent exposure" = a stretch on the nonce wing.

Be careful fellas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem is and always has been social media. 

Twitter especially. 

Become fashionable now for random kids to go into pointless football league games with flares and smoke grenades thinking they're in turkey, all for the 30 second clip to go viral on several 'proper football fans' Twitter pages. 
    I agree. Kids today, eh?
    :-)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Discuss.

Wow! Moe from the Three Stooges has been re-incarnated!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Remember when everyone threw their pints in the air when England scored during a major tournament (was it World Cup 2018?) and it basically went from a genuine outpouring of joy to a manufactured bit for social media? This is that. 
    I hated that.

People accidentally spilling pints in a melee, fine, funny.  People lobbing whole pints over a crowd deliberately, dickhead behaviour.
  • Options
    Just another thing which will stop people going to away matches, alongside bad behaviour and standing etc. 

Wouldn’t safe standing stop the issues and make it safer when it comes to this?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Discuss.

There are limbs and there are people hurling themselves down multiple rows on purpose. Leeds thrive off the latter

• Options
    Reality is these photos are a great advert for safe standing. Safer to celebrate with a rail than it is on steep seating.
  • Options
    Have definitely noticed an increase in over exaggerated celebrations. It's a shame that something that was previously just a pure expression of joy is now being faked by fans just because they think they have to. The throwing of pints at England games previously mentioned is the best example of this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you can guarantee many of those thrown pints in fan parks weren't lager either...
  • Options
    Nobody throws pints any more - it’s too fucking expensive 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    cafctom said:

Discuss.

Without knowing which one of their goals this was for (i'm going to assume the second that effectively sealed the win), it was a big goal. Puts 9 points between them and the bottom 3 and effectively keeps them in the PL next season. If results had gone against them this weekend, they'd only be 3 points from the drop with 4 tough games coming up.
    No doubt it was an important goal. But important enough to have no option but to ‘spontaneously’ throw yourself into 1-2 rows in front of you, head first? I’m not so sure.

For last minute winners, cup finals, promotion goals - those sorts of occasions - I can fully understand why absolutely mental scenes would follow in the stands.

Agreed with the points above about the 2018 World Cup. A lot of this, and the social media element, stems from that.
  • Options
    Yep cringey over the top celebrations were obvious when fans was going mental over England's 4th goal against Panama in 2018. 
  • Options
    Yep cringey over the top celebrations were obvious when fans was going mental over England's 4th goal against Panama in 2018. 
     our fans at Wimbledon last week ..
  • Options
    blimey when we scored last minute at Wembley I nearly jumped straight off the top tier in ecstasy !
  • Options
    blimey when we scored last minute at Wembley I nearly jumped straight off the top tier in ecstasy !
    And rightly so. Dont really understand jumping over barriers and falling down stairs while going 1 up against Wimbledon though when we cant go up or down 🤣
  • Options
    It's very Leeds, there's a similar picture below. I'm at an age where I see things like a page called away fans and the clapping emoji and find it all very cringey. Likewise on the age front I think of the safety aspect. Safe standing would eliminate this, terracing isn't as step and someone, probably elderly is going to get hurt due to some teenager in the name of banter.