Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Burnley and Nick Pope

If Burnley are relegated, Pope will not want to stay with them, now he is a full England international. Does anyone know if we have a sell on contract, or did the silly woman give him away with the low fee?

Comments

• Options
    Thank you Scoham
  • Options
    I still think there’s a chance he could stay there if they go down.

English goalkeepers aren’t around in abundance in the Premier League - hence why you still see Johnstone from West Brom getting call ups regularly even though they are in the Championship.

As we’ve seen with Fulham in recent years, the parachute payments are enough to keep the big earners hanging around.

Think it all depends on whether a big club comes in for him which he/Burnley simply can’t refuse.
  • Options
    Has he been good enough to earn a move and to whom? Only teams I could see in the market for a keeper are Newcastle and Spurs. I think Conte would want someone else, Newcastle or a promoted side seems the only viable options to me. 
  • Options
    who in the prem would currently take Pope??
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Who really needs a goalkeeper? 

Newcastle, Southampton, West Ham and Tottenham I suppose would be the only likely destinations. 

Pope is 29 and probably past his peak in terms of value now. 
  • Options
    Fulham when they get promoted 
  • Options
    He's been brilliant for Burnley tbf, so pretty sure plenty of Prem teams will be keeping an eye on him if/when they drop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just about any of them
    He'd walk straight into about 18 of the sides
    Burnley getting relegated could be just about the best thing that could happen for Nick
    Sounds odd don't it?  But it will take away any notions of loyalty and leave him with only "where" to go, not "if" to consider.

The club's owners have pulled the purse strings right in, hence their impending relegation.
    They'll be conducting a fire sale to get the squad costs straight down to a normal Championship budget i.e. without parachute payments
    Don't be surprised if Dyche is among the departees, not cos he gets blamed and sacked for the relegation, he's done reasonably well with such a low budget, but cos he's pissed off at the owners' change of financial policy.  They sold Chris Wood to a relegation rival don't forget.
  • Options
    I actually think he could end up at West Ham. 
  • Options
    Even if we did have a decent sell on fee all that will happen is it will be publicised what we received and any players we go for in the summer will suddenly have an extra zero on their asking prices.
  • Options
    Even if we did have a decent sell on fee all that will happen is it will be publicised what we received and any players we go for in the summer will suddenly have an extra zero on their asking prices.
    I think we will give Ben Watson a new 5 year contract if Pope moves on 
  • Options
    The sell on fee with Pope was reported to be in excess of 20%.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Just about any of them
    Burnley getting relegated could be just about the best thing that could happen for Nick
    Sounds odd don't it?  But it will take away any notions of loyalty and leave him with only "where" to go, not "if" to consider.

The club's owners have pulled the purse strings right in, hence their impending relegation.
    They'll be conducting a fire sale to get the squad costs straight down to a normal Championship budget i.e. without parachute payments
    Don't be surprised if Dyche is among the departees, not cos he gets blamed and sacked for the relegation, he's done reasonably well with such a low budget, but cos he's pissed off at the owners' change of financial policy.  They sold Chris Wood to a relegation rival don't forget.
    Behave. 

He's good but he's not great. A solid Premier League keeper. 

Is a pure shotstopper so his ceiling is midtable Premier League team. Won't go to a top club unless he sorts his feet out. 

West Ham and Newcastle most likely if we're hoping for some money. 
  • Options
    I think we will give Ben Watson a new 5 year contract if Pope moves on 
    This is why we still need a report button
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Just about any of them

Behave. 

He's good but he's not great. A solid Premier League keeper. 

Is a pure shotstopper so his ceiling is midtable Premier League team. Won't go to a top club unless he sorts his feet out. 

West Ham and Newcastle most likely if we're hoping for some money. 
    Agreed. He's a great old school keeper, but the top teams want more of a footballer in goal

Unless he goes to a Big 6 type club as backup
  • Options
    I actually think he could end up at West Ham. 
    Likely a good shout. Fabianski is 37 next week and Moyes wants a shot stopper above anything else regardless of what a keeper can do with his feet. Areola is apparently wanted by Fulham again so it could all come together.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do you know if it was reported as 20% of fee or 20% of profit? 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

English goalkeepers aren’t around in abundance in the Premier League - hence why you still see Johnstone from West Brom getting call ups regularly even though they are in the Championship.

As we’ve seen with Fulham in recent years, the parachute payments are enough to keep the big earners hanging around.

Think it all depends on whether a big club comes in for him which he/Burnley simply can’t refuse.
    Not that he'll start, but the fact it's a world cup year would likely make him want to leave.
  • Options
    Could see Palace maybe being interested - Gualtia is 35, they probably signed Butland as a long term replacement and he's been poor.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Probably 20% of his cost to us
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Near enough the same thing isn't it? didn't he go for about 1.5 million? 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Not that he'll start, but the fact it's a world cup year would likely make him want to leave.
    That’s true - valid point. But I expect it would need to be to a team where he knows he will start. Not sure how many there are in the Premier League, unless he joined someone like Huddersfield or Luton or someone of that level if they went up. 
  • Options
    Got to be worth £10-20M assuming he still has some time on his contract so we would get £2-4M.

Then Gomez goes to Villa for say, £30M and we get another £6M.

Hey presto, break even 
  • Options
    Didn’t ESI call in some of the sell on clauses? 
    Or something. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Leicester.

Schmeichel is 35 now, 36 this year, their back up keepers are not good and are old. A solid keeper like Pope for the next few years and at a club where he’ll get more attention to be included in the England squad. 
    Not quite true, Ward is younger than Pope. Although I did think of Leicester earlier, I don't think they will pay what Pope would cost for a number 2. More likely to sign someone who is 23/24 and let them be number 2 for a year or two. I think Johnstone on a free will be a more attractive option than Pope unfortunately.