Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Interesting but can’t see us signing him, too similar to Stockley, not nippy enough.
    He'll get 20plus goals for us and we are currently about that number short within the squad. It is a no brainer for me.
    What makes you think that until the last two seasons, a player who had never scored over 5 goals in a season, and only over 15 once will score 20 plus goals for us?
    The fact that he looked the best striker at The Valley last season, scored 20+ goals, including at least 2 from the half way line.
  • Options
    Stockton’s record before last season doesn’t suggest he’s a goalscorer. But so many seem to be sold based on one hot season
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Interesting but can’t see us signing him, too similar to Stockley, not nippy enough.
    He'll get 20plus goals for us and we are currently about that number short within the squad. It is a no brainer for me.
    What makes you think that until the last two seasons, a player who had never scored over 5 goals in a season, and only over 15 once will score 20 plus goals for us?
    The fact that he looked the best striker at The Valley last season, scored 20+ goals, including at least 2 from the half way line.
    I mean if the best striker of the season at the valley last year is someone who scored one goal and didn’t get a look in during the second half, then we should have nothing to worry about at all this season 
  • Options
    Some of us have watched him play a few times. Maybe that is it.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I mean if the best striker of the season at the valley last year is someone who scored one goal and didn’t get a look in during the second half, then we should have nothing to worry about at all this season 
    Which strikers do you think were better and will sign for us?
  • Options
    Jury is out for me on Stockton, only really done any good for 1 season, but his off the ball movement is good. 
    I'm wondering whether, the plan is to get  a young PL striker (not a winger cum striker ala JRS) or indeed Tyreece Simpson is the final piece of the striker conundrum?
  • Options
    That’s almost as ambiguous an answer you gave to why you thought Wollacott was not very good, ‘I’ve seen things’, after basing it all on one mistake he made in a half of a pre season friendly.

If all the rumours are true and Stockton is off to Fleetwood, then again I think that says it all about how other teams rate his quality and the risk he represents.
  • Options
    Last season in the one season in 12 he got to 20 goals? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Stockton’s record before last season doesn’t suggest he’s a goalscorer. But so many seem to be sold based on one hot season
    Yes, but it was the most recent season, be more worried if his hot season was five years agon and he only scored 5.goals in each of those  years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That’s almost as ambiguous an answer you gave to why you thought Wollacott was not very good, ‘I’ve seen things’, after basing it all on one mistake he made in a half of a pre season friendly.

If all the rumours are true and Stockton is off to Fleetwood, then again I think that says it all about how other teams rate his quality and the risk he represents.
    I have changed my mind about Wollacott and was always open to it. He was shit against Kilmanock but it was the first game I had seen him.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Rothko said:
    Yes, but it was the most recent season, be more worried if his hot season was five years agon and he only scored 5.goals in each of those  years.
    It’s the best player in a shit World Cup team signing, he’s got double figures twice in his career, including seasons in League 2 and the National League. I want to be convinced, just don’t buy it, and I would have guessed a NW championship club would be sniffing around, and they haven’t 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Scoham said:
    I don’t know. I’m not a scout. I think most strikers at league one level are going to be inconsistent and represent a risk.

If I’m the owner, of a loss making business, I’m sure as hell not spending my money on a 28 year old who for all intense purposes has had one good season, and who flops, you’ve got no chance of making any of your money back.

Id much rather be spending that on someone younger who can develop, and if they do have a poor season for you (*cough* Kirk *cough*), there’s a chance you can recoup some of your outlay.  

Are you willing to take the risk on Stockton?
  • Options
    The risk is what makes it doable for us financially. The reward is that he has attributes we are crying out for.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    If I was taking a risk on a hot season last year, it’s McKirdy, knows the manager, has a decent pedigree from Villa, and can finish. If he flops, you might get your money back
    This with knobs on. Would suit the system far better too. I’m far from convinced by Stockton and do worry in him being a one season wonder especially as he’s spent so long in the lower leagues. I’d rather take a punt on McKirdy if Garner wanted him for the reasons above unless we can get someone better.
  • Options
    Last time I looked we were in the lower leagues!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tyreece Simpson is the one I have my eye on. Problem is, I think Ipswich won’t want to let him go to a team in their league.
    Pigott and Fraser? If they don’t sell him he’ll walk away next summer for minimal compensation.
  • Options
    Tyreece Simpson is the one I have my eye on. Problem is, I think Ipswich won’t want to let him go to a team in their league.
    I can only go by what I’ve read and from the highlights from the Swindon games I have seen. So for all I know he could be Davison level (which is not an insult btw).

But for me he offers far less of a risk both in terms of ability and financial then Stockton would. 
  • Options
    McKirdy had his "breakthrough" season in L2, there's no guarantee he can step up and be as dangerous. That makes him MORE of a risk than Stockton, who not only did it in L1, he did it in a poor L1 team.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Simple solution,  they sell him to Swindon then we loan him and sign permanently in January..... 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The other thing I feel itchy on Stockton, is he’s never really played outside the North West, and your expecting him to settle in London. Gets all a bit Andy Gray for me
    I would agree that his NW roots may be an issue. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Rothko said:
    If I was taking a risk on a hot season last year, it’s McKirdy, knows the manager, has a decent pedigree from Villa, and can finish. If he flops, you might get your money back
    This with knobs on. Would suit the system far better too. I’m far from convinced by Stockton and do worry in him being a one season wonder especially as he’s spent so long in the lower leagues. I’d rather take a punt on McKirdy if Garner wanted him for the reasons above unless we can get someone better.
    The issue with McKirdy is he’s more of a wide player, it wouldn’t really solve the issue of Stockley not suiting the system.
    I’d really like McKirdy but like @Callumcafc I’d like Tyreece Simpson too. I’d see Simpson as the priority but both would improve us. 
  • Options
    Stockton for me. As people mentioned he was a terror at the Valley last season and could really add something to this team. 

Technically good, last couple of seasons he has had a decent goal scoring record in this league in an average team..the way we are playing and how we are set up, he could do really well. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I don’t know. I’m not a scout. I think most strikers at league one level are going to be inconsistent and represent a risk.

If I’m the owner, of a loss making business, I’m sure as hell not spending my money on a 28 year old who for all intense purposes has had one good season, and who flops, you’ve got no chance of making any of your money back.

Id much rather be spending that on someone younger who can develop, and if they do have a poor season for you (*cough* Kirk *cough*), there’s a chance you can recoup some of your outlay.  

Are you willing to take the risk on Stockton?
    Definitely, there's no guarantees but if he's available for £250K I'd take the gamble without doubt.
    I do watch all the highlights every week and all the live games.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I'd definitely try for McKirdy and sell Kirk.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I'd definitely try for McKirdy and sell Kirk.
    I think the McKirdy boat has sailed