Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rotherham United vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 9th April 2022 - 3pm KO | Match Preview

Rotherham United vs Charlton Athletic
Saturday 9th April 2022 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ross Joyce

Introduction
Charlton made the short trip across London on Tuesday night with AFC Wimbledon awaiting us - It was a game that was typical of our season, a brief impressive start to the game, before falling back into the inorganisation that we've become used to - This Saturday we make the trip to a side who look on course for a return to the Championship at the first time of asking; Charlton pretty much have their League One place secure next term, many of the players have the look of a group that are done for the season.

The Opposition
Name: Rotherham United (3rd) | Manager: Paul Warne
Ground: New York Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 1-1 Rotherham United

The Millers come into the weekend having not played a league game since mid-March. Games have been called off either due to International call ups, or because of their comeback victory in the EFL Trophy Final against Sutton United last week. Yet as a result both Wigan Athletic and Milton Keynes have jumped above Rotherham in the table, although with games in hand, you'd expect the side from Buckinghamshire to be the one to settle with the Play-Offs.

Rotherham United | Paul Warne | League One... Is there a more ideal combination?

Paul Warne after all took charge of our opponents in November 2016 when they were a Championship side, in the five seasons since his appointment; the Millers havent spent more than a single season in one Division, and all of those campaigns have been spent between the Championship and League One - With Rotherham back in League One, its no surprise to see them once again competing at the top, and should Warne once again complete the job, it'll be his third promotion from this level in six years.

Perhaps next term, will finally be the year that he keeps his side in the Championship - Addressing the slight slump in form will be the priority beforehand though; Rotherham recorded just the single victory in March, with home losses coming against Milton Keynes and Shrewsbury Town, even their performance last week, against a League Two side was less than convincing.

They'll be relieved they're up against a side with nothing to play for tomorrow.

Charlton Team News
It was rather ironic when Johnnie Jackson discussed our disciplinary record ahead of last weekend - We went into the game against Lincoln City, one booking short of a century. Determined not to be outdone, both Alex Gilbey and Ryan Inniss have since showed their desire to take it one step further in receiving their marching orders.

Gilbey returns to the side this Saturday having served his one match suspension, whilst Ryan Inniss must wait a little longer before yet another comeback into the squad; Jake Forster-Caskey will certainly challenge the former for a place in the squad. Elsewhere and Sam Lavelle's campaign has ended with a dislocated shoulder, with Inniss already out, it means our defence will look slightly different tomorrow, with both Jason Pearce and Akin Famewo waiting in the wings.

MacGillivray
Clare - Pearce - Purrington
Matthews - Dobson - Forster-Caskey - Blackett-Taylor
Fraser
Stockley - Washington

Substitutes Bench: Harness - Famewo - Gunter - Lee - Gilbey - Leko - Burstow

Prediction
The Addicks may already be thinking about their summer holidays, yet our last two trips to the New York Stadium have resulted in wins for the visiting side (0-2 | 1-4). The last time Rotherham came out of this game was in 1983, shortly before I arrived in this world - It certainly wont be easy for Charlton to keep up that record though this time around.

Comments

• I will go to Luxembourg and tune in, but I fear this will be a thrashing.
  • edited April 2022
    Terrific preview F A

They will be desperate to get back to the top of the league as they now have real competition for the automatic spot from Wigan and MKD. Their form has dropped off lately, could be as good a time as ever to pay a visit .. However .. 
    A home win, but, as always I am hoping for us to do what we all too often do, fail against the poor sides and play out of our skins against the good sides

Millers United 2 v CAFC 0
  • Sometimes the pressure of challenging for promotion can affect players as they approach the "winning line".
    Remember the old term "promotion jitters".
    Not saying that will happen to Rotherham this week, but sometimes an opponent with nothing to play for can, well just relax and play.
    9-1 Rotherham
  • I think Gilbey will come straight back in as JFC may not be ready for two games in a week.  Purrington back at his old club but maybe Famewo will be better alongside JP?  Not much else will change....

3-0 defeat.
  • Don’t think we’ll get a rogering. Routine 2-0 to Rotherham. 
  • 4-2 defeat where we don’t look completely awful
  • Sponsored links:

• 9-0 to Rotheram.
  • I remember in the reverse fixture there were Rotherham fans saying we were the best team they had played at that point in the season, wonder if they’ll say we’re the worst on Saturday…
  • I think Purrington is injured and won't make this game, so expect Famewo to play. I will also be surprised if JFC starts. My head says we should lose this, but there is more pressure on Rotherham and that could work to our advantage if we start well. Rotherham are a good side, but I think we may nick a draw. Predict 1-1.
  • We are utter rubbish and have some key absences in a defence that was already weak.

Rotherham are the best team I have seen play in this league.  

We have nothing  to play for and don't look overly bothered when we do.

Rotherham are highly motivated and could make automatic promotion.

Answers on a postcard please.  
  • edited April 2022
    I like the look of the starting line up selected by FA given what we have to chose from. The midfield feels right based on the players we have - the strikers pick themselves as does blackett - taylor. Matthews played well last Saturday and Leko and jayesimi can't be trusted (you don't know what sort of peformance you will get), so fine with that but definitely a position to strengthen. Same for Clare - doing a decent job but needs an upgrade -  Pearce and Purington ditto. Edit - i'd possibly have Famewho in but not if he's off as no point. 
  • 5-1 Rotherham and even Curbs and Minto in the Charlton TV studio turn on them

• Defeat number 20 of this season incoming. 20 defeats, read it and weep. If Rotherham show the slightest interest in winning they will smash us. 3-0 at best, fear far worse.

Shit players, shit tactics, no team spirit, nothing to play for all adds up to an absolute hammering.

Thank god I have other plans and won't be tuning in.
  • 0-1 Somehow these bottlers do a job
  • Defeat number 20 of this season incoming. 20 defeats, read it and weep. If Rotherham show the slightest interest in winning they will smash us. 3-0 at best, fear far worse.

Shit players, shit tactics, no team spirit, nothing to play for all adds up to an absolute hammering.

Thank god I have other plans and won't be tuning in.
    Dazzler21 said:
    0-1 Somehow these bottlers do a job
    See.  Same medication, two completely different results!
  • Sponsored links:

• Something tells me we might get something out of this trip, just a hunch that form book and pressure on Rothers might not result in a home win, could sneak a draw? 
    Fair play to all fans making the trip, last time i went there in early eighties can't remember if we won or lost just remember its a bloody long way on the coach. 
  • first away game of the season for the 6 of us....no idea on the result, we will be up there early enough to have had enough to drink to not really care either
  • It would have been knackering last Tuesday so maybe Jackson will make more changes than normal. Pearce, Gilbey, Famewo, B-Taylor in. Maybe Gunter? Anneke off the bench? Lavelle, Lee, Purrington, JF-C, DJ out. We will play well for about twenty minutes and then it'll all turn to shite, like as usual.
  • Aneke injured
  • edited April 2022
    Aneke injured
    Shurely shome mishtake Mish Moneypenny!
  • Hope the weather is half decent because this is simply a trip out with friends, as for the game I guess something dull like a 4-4 draw. 
  • Rotherham have not been out of the top two for a long time, they'll get the jitters and bottle this.
    My £10 is on Charlton at 9/2
  • I expect Rotherham to only narrowly beat us, as they're not in great form at the moment.

I expect Gilbey to come straight back in, and Morgan inexplicably to be absent again.
  • Aneke injured
    Paper cut?