Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flat Roofing

edited April 2022 in Not Sports Related

Just getting some quotes to replace my flat roofs. 

Does anyone know what the best material is? 

GRP- 
Fibre Glass or EPDM- Rubber. Both seem to have pro's and con's. 

Looks like the EPDM lasts longer. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

I am based in Yorkshire and finding it difficult getting pricing. 

Comments

• Options
    Whereabouts in Yorkshire?
  • Options
    I am certainly no expert bit having had a GRP Fibre glass roof fitted on my garden office very poorly and then had other roofers over to give me advice the general consensus was that people used to go on a training course to install them.  Now they can just watch a video for an hour.  They are not as easy to install as people think so many of the roofers said they spend a lot of their time ripping up and replacing poorly fitted ones.  
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I am certainly no expert bit having had a GRP Fibre glass roof fitted on my garden office very poorly and then had other roofers over to give me advice the general consensus was that people used to go on a training course to install them.  Now they can just watch a video for an hour.  They are not as easy to install as people think so many of the roofers said they spend a lot of their time ripping up and replacing poorly fitted ones.  

In a nut shell this is true but in reality getting thickness and detailing correct is trickier. Depends on where the flat roof is? Main roof lower roof etc? Are you insulating?
  • Options
    Whereabouts in Yorkshire?
    On the roof
  • Options
    From personal experience, dont go fibre glass.  We were told fibre glass was the best solution for our flat wrap round roof but in reality, because it is the sun each and every day, the heat build up causes cracks.  We ended up with 2 very big leaks from a very minute hairline crack.  Having had a number of roofers around to attempt to fix it, we had the fibre glass relayed under the guaranteed that we had but it still didn't fix it, so we had it felted and sealed over the top and it has been good as gold every since, thank god. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    It is a second story flat roof and is in the sun all day. 

It has started to leak into the room below and down the internal walls. 

@Baldybonce
    Halifax mate 

• Options
    Our house has a fibreglass roof - 3,000 square feet, albeit with a slight pitch.

It was installed in 1992 and still good. It has a generous covering of chippings etc.
  • Options
    I was persuaded to go down the felt roof route and I'm happy with the results. Roofer told me it would last 30 years and then died about a year later - that's my guarantee fucked, the bastard!
  • Options
    I would recommend the felt option either 2 layer or 3 layer system with insulation 120mm normally achieve . 18 u value. With its mineral capsheet its u v stable and provides adequate protection even in direct sunlight.

How big is the area as I might know a few gangs that can assist you.
  • Options
    I would recommend the felt option either 2 layer or 3 layer system with insulation 120mm normally achieve . 18 u value. With its mineral capsheet its u v stable and provides adequate protection even in direct sunlight.

How big is the area as I might know a few gangs that can assist you.
    I think it is about 20 x 30 ft mate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it a pub? You know what they say. 
  • Options
    Is it a pub? You know what they say. 
    No. And no what do they say? 
  • Options
    You have to have felt on a pub flat roof?