Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | Saturday 2nd April 2022

Comments

• Options
    We should have won that game comfortably if we had taken the numerous decent chances we had. We have played worse than that and won. Both strikers seemed to have their boots on the wrong feet!

The one huge positive was to see JFC on the pitch, and what a cameo he made. It looked as though he had never been away. Let's all hope he can now avoid further injury. I think he could be the key player for next year. I am expecting Fraser to be fully fit and firing on all cylinders next year too, so with a central midfield three of Dobson, Fraser and JFC, that should be good enough to challenge. However, it's the back up that is equally important and where we are lacking. Morgan - maybe; Gilbey - maybe, but I don't think so. We need a solid backup for Dobson (Clare?) as a matter of priority, and if we lose Dobson I am not sure where that leaves us.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Just feel so empty with everything Charlton at the moment. Like I didn't even know who we were playing today. Just feels awful at the moment, probably just me but my interest for Charlton at the moment is at an all time low. Squad we have is depressing just full of plain Janes. 
    Actually, that's not depressing. Plain Jane was only disguised as plain. If these players turn out next season to play football as beautiful as her then we'll be in football heaven. Await the transformation!

Didn’t they call her plain Jayne super brain???, our lot are thick as shit!!!!!🤣…… this should be on the would ya!  thread anyway👍
    Damn! You saw through the weakness in my argument. 
    Anyway, don't be daft - who wouldn't? Neighbours was pure 80s eye candy. For a would'ya you'd need to use a more up to date photo

Yes to any photo :D
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    We a have some poor players but some are decent enough for this level. 
    Jackson can’t get em playing, not sure he has what it takes to get us promoted next season…
    Some poor and some decent, sounds like we should be in mid table if that’s all we have.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    First game at the Valley for two years, and result aside  that was a good game of football. I see a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but the season is over anyway. 
    To me it felt a bit like one of those games where nothing quite falls where you want it. We were already 1-0 down when Gilbey shot the team in the foot, so after a reasonable first period (we'd already hit the bar remember) we went in behind and s man short. Second half we played some nice football, especislly after the Imps went down to 10 men. Stockley had two good chances he should have buried, Wash also showed great control bur poor finisjing, and Lincoln showed us how to score.
    Negatives for me were Gilbey, and the defending for their first. Positives were all mild. Dobson looked geat, Matthews turned in a good game after I told friends he was on my out list. CBT tormented their defence, but needs to try the easy ball sometimes.

We're where we are entirely on lack of merit, but some of these players show promise. We badly need a good striker, and the defence needs a rethink. And the loanees are all replaceable. But there could be a basis of a good team somewhere in there.
  • Options
    Entertaining game if you were a non-partisan spectator. But quite frustrating otherwise. This season we've lost 14 games by a margin of one goal as well as getting 7 draws. This mean that 21 games out of 40 (a majority) could have been turned our way by scoring a single goal. Statistically our defence isn't that bad. (In the last six games we've scored six and conceded 4). And both our main strikers look ok when fit. Whats missing is the lack of goals in the rest of the team. What we lack is a quality, creative, game-changing midfielder. 
  • Options
    Apologies for the typo

I have been banging on about Stockton for a while and usually spell his name right! I think his game has a lot of what we are missing. 

Good player this season from what I’ve watched of him, a lot better than Washington and Stockley. There will be a lot of clubs after him though
  • Options
    Entertaining game if you were a non-partisan spectator. But quite frustrating otherwise. This season we've lost 14 games by a margin of one goal as well as getting 7 draws. This mean that 21 games out of 40 (a majority) could have been turned our way by scoring a single goal. Statistically our defence isn't that bad. (In the last six games we've scored six and conceded 4). And both our main strikers look ok when fit. Whats missing is the lack of goals in the rest of the team. What we lack is a quality, creative, game-changing midfielder. 
    But is that enough to get promoted?
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    What frustrates me most is that so many of our players have the skills required at this level, but just cannot compete for the duration of the game. 

I think the missing factor is spunk, grit, courage, determination - call it what you will - but that innate ability to give it and keep giving it is clearly missing.  Gilbey is the prime example.  He has some good football skills, football is in his feet somewhere, but over 90 minutes he becomes a liability.  I think Clare is the same, Leko, maybe Fraser too. 

We take too many chances on our signings.  Players that we may be able to develop, may be able to train obvious  weaknesses away, may somehow miraculously shed them of their injury prone bodies.

After the first Lincoln goal my son reminded me of our Premiership side. When we were on the back foot, players would put their bodies on the line, time after time.  It was a spirit that can be shown at any level of football,  we simply do not have that.

Also known as a bunch of lightweights, which I have been saying for years.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Still a meaningless stat. We were "expected" to score 3 times as many goals than the opposition given the chances we had. But does it take into account we have crap strikers who cant finish? Do XG know we have crap strikers or do they think we have Shearer & Owen up front. 

• Options
    Apologies for the typo

I have been banging on about Stockton for a while and usually spell his name right! I think his game has a lot of what we are missing. 

Good player this season from what I’ve watched of him, a lot better than Washington and Stockley. There will be a lot of clubs after him though
    I'm not sure - he is 28/29 and might be considered a risk at a higher level than League One. If Morecombe get relegated he probably will not want to play at a lower level and will only have a year left on his contract so maybe a cheeky bid could get him. 
  • Options
    Last week we should have scored at least six goals but got one, yesterday it should have been three or four, but was one, I know it is League 1, but surely our two front men should do better that this.
    So who replaces Gilbey on Tuesday, JFC cannot be ready to start after today surely, so is it Morgan, Lee or John?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:

Still a meaningless stat. We were "expected" to score 3 times as many goals than the opposition given the chances we had. But does it take into account we have crap strikers who cant finish? Do XG know we have crap strikers or do they think we have Shearer & Owen up front. 

Fundamental misunderstanding of what xG is meant to show.

The stat is supposed to be independent of the players taking the shot. It wouldn’t be much use if it did. It’s more closely related to shots and shots on target than it is to goals.
  • Options
    Good points about today were that Jake Forster Caskey is so much better than Gilbey all day long at being a creative midfielder. Gilby got sent off because he’s not quick enough.Nor for that matter is Matthews, Purrington, Stockley. Corey and George and Washington and Jake are the kind of players that we need to build on. Conor, Although he missed loads, he creates his own chances and he’s great at taking a ball from long range so I have no problem and nor should he at the chances he missed today because they were largely of his own making. Yes it was disappointing today especially when Leko lost his man for the second goal and you have a tired and slow Matthews trying to catch his man and failing. George Dobson cannot be the only person who catches his man and tackles if we are to win games regularly.So yes Forster caskey  is the big positive news of today as I think if we had started with him the outcome may well have been different.
    It wasn't Matthews trying to catch him. Matthews was subbed for Leko after having what I thought was a good game. Leko currently is like playing with 10 men - incredibly frustrating player. Jacko made a gamble that we needed to chase the game and brought on an attacking player. Burstow might have been a better option at this point given how he can actually score and shift washington to the wing back role. I'm done with leko, offers nothing. 
    And as for Gilbey - he does this loads - stupid pointless fouls that get carded. I'm not sure it can be coached out of him at his age. After he got the first one yesterday and JFC was warming up I was hoping Jacko had seen the light and was going to sub Gilbey before he nabbed the 101st yellow card. 
    Thankfully there are only 2 more home games. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    Good points about today were that Jake Forster Caskey is so much better than Gilbey all day long at being a creative midfielder. Gilby got sent off because he’s not quick enough.Nor for that matter is Matthews, Purrington, Stockley. Corey and George and Washington and Jake are the kind of players that we need to build on. Conor, Although he missed loads, he creates his own chances and he’s great at taking a ball from long range so I have no problem and nor should he at the chances he missed today because they were largely of his own making. Yes it was disappointing today especially when Leko lost his man for the second goal and you have a tired and slow Matthews trying to catch his man and failing. George Dobson cannot be the only person who catches his man and tackles if we are to win games regularly.So yes Forster caskey  is the big positive news of today as I think if we had started with him the outcome may well have been different.
    It wasn't Matthews trying to catch him. Matthews was subbed for Leko after having what I thought was a good game. Leko currently is like playing with 10 men - incredibly frustrating player. Jacko made a gamble that we needed to chase the game and brought on an attacking player. Burstow might have been a better option at this point given how he can actually score and shift washington to the wing back role. I'm done with leko, offers nothing. 
    And as for Gilbey - he does this loads - stupid pointless fouls that get carded. I'm not sure it can be coached out of him at his age. After he got the first one yesterday and JFC was warming up I was hoping Jacko had seen the light and was going to sub Gilbey before he nabbed the 101st yellow card. 
    We were playing with ten men.
    😉
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The stat is supposed to be independent of the players taking the shot. It wouldn’t be much use if it did. It’s more closely related to shots and shots on target than it is to goals.
    I don't think it's golfie who has the fundamental misunderstanding.

What he's trying to say is that if it's independent of the players taking the shot, where does expectancy come into it? XG is a fundamental nonsensical misunderstanding of football.

• Options
    rananegra said:
    We were playing with ten men.
    😉
    Yeah, I meant to say in this instance 9. But instead I distracted myself with how frustrating Gilbey is. 
    I don't think he's that good and I 'm about to go on another tangent about him..

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Scoham said:

What he's trying to say is that if it's independent of the players taking the shot, where does expectancy come into it? XG is a fundamental nonsensical misunderstanding of football.

Here’s how to build a basic xG model… hopefully it helps explain where expectancy comes in.

- Start with a database of shots and goals over tens of leagues and thousands of matches.
    - Divide the pitch area into equal, smaller sections/areas.
    - Count the number of shots taken from any chosen section/area.
    - Count the number of goals scored from the same chosen section/area.
    - Divide the number of goals by the number of shots to arrive at a basic xG figure for each shot taken from that section/area.

For example, let’s imagine that we chose a section/area that happened to have 10000 shots and 1000 goals, regardless of the quality of player taking the shot or in goal.

On a historical basis, we can say that a shot from that section/area has a 10% chance of being a goal and therefore gets 0.1 xG assigned. That is where the ‘expectancy’ comes in.

Companies like Opta and Statsbomb are doing the above in a far more sophisticated way, for one they are doing it in 3D rather than the simple 2D example I gave above. They are also taking it many steps further, adding in conditions such as number of defenders between ball and net, whether it’s a header or a shot with the foot, etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Here’s how to build a basic xG model… hopefully it helps explain where expectancy comes in.

- Start with a database of shots and goals over tens of leagues and thousands of matches.
    - Divide the pitch area into equal, smaller sections/areas.
    - Count the number of shots taken from any chosen section/area.
    - Count the number of goals scored from the same chosen section/area.
    - Divide the number of goals by the number of shots to arrive at a basic xG figure for each shot taken from that section/area.

For example, let’s imagine that we chose a section/area that happened to have 10000 shots and 1000 goals, regardless of the quality of player taking the shot or in goal.

On a historical basis, we can say that a shot from that section/area has a 10% chance of being a goal and therefore gets 0.1 xG assigned. That is where the ‘expectancy’ comes in.

Companies like Opta and Statsbomb are doing the above in a far more sophisticated way, for one they are doing it in 3D rather than the simple 2D example I gave above. They are also taking it many steps further, adding in conditions such as number of defenders between ball and net, whether it’s a header or a shot with the foot, etc.
    Christ almighty!
    Way to take the enjoyment out of football 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    For you maybe. Plenty of people enjoy doing the stats. It’s only going to become more and more prevalent.
  • Options
    Oh, I don't doubt it and my son would definitely agree with you.
    It has it's place, but it isn't in my world.
  • Options
    Appleton is a good coach….Lincoln played some nice stuff at times…would be a good option for us
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Appleton is a good coach….Lincoln played some nice stuff at times…would be a good option for us

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Leko this season has been rubbish for us and his attempted tackle prior to their second was a disgrace,  but I thought he got several decent crosses in on Saturday,  consistently beating their left back. 
  • Options
    Leko this season has been rubbish for us and his attempted tackle prior to their second was a disgrace,  but I thought he got several decent crosses in on Saturday,  consistently beating their left back. 
    Yeah but he didn't track back that one time (ignoring the fact that he made himself an outlet option by staying out of our overcrowded box, the players behind him should have also done better)

• Options
    edited April 2022
    First game at the Valley for two years, and result aside  that was a good game of football. I see a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, but the season is over anyway. 
    To me it felt a bit like one of those games where nothing quite falls where you want it. We were already 1-0 down when Gilbey shot the team in the foot, so after a reasonable first period (we'd already hit the bar remember) we went in behind and s man short. Second half we played some nice football, especislly after the Imps went down to 10 men. Stockley had two good chances he should have buried, Wash also showed great control bur poor finisjing, and Lincoln showed us how to score.
    Negatives for me were Gilbey, and the defending for their first. Positives were all mild. Dobson looked geat, Matthews turned in a good game after I told friends he was on my out list. CBT tormented their defence, but needs to try the easy ball sometimes.

We're where we are entirely on lack of merit, but some of these players show promise. We badly need a good striker, and the defence needs a rethink. And the loanees are all replaceable. But there could be a basis of a good team somewhere in there.
    It was one of those games as was the week before even though we won it. We have been greatly improved by having Stockley and Washington back but both need to be sharper. Overall, I think this is more of a long term issue for Washington. If I was Jacko, I would see him as a squad option next season and confidence and great form would get him in the side, as with Aneke but I would be looking for a starting partner for Stockley. For me a great option is Cole Stockton. He Knows where the goal is, he can mix it up and knows the nasty side of the game bullying defenders, he can score from outside the area and I think he would be reasonably priced.
  • Options
    Might be wrong but I thought Stockton is a similar type of player to Stockley, i.e. more of a target man than pacey striker. Would they be too similar to play together?
  • Options
    Stockton will be another Northerner who will struggle to move/enjoy life down South. Looking at his career history, would be surprised if he moved from tha norf!