Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Annual Upbeats Walk

edited April 2022 in General Charlton
As I’m sure you’re all aware, the annual Upbeats Walk returns this year in person. April 23rd, our last home game of the season. Let’s hope the weather is better by then!

For those of you who don’t know, the Charlton Upbeats is a project delivered by CACT and relies solely on generous donations and fundraising each year. This year’s target is £30,000.

I will be participating alongside my better half in the annual Upbeats Walk and asking anyone who can potentially spare anything to donate to this incredible cause and group of people, it would be much appreciated.

I actually wrote the latest Upbeats report that was published on World Down’s Syndrome Day, just last month. If you would like to learn more or have a read through, you can do so here: https://www.flipsnack.com/B879575BDC9/upbeats-report-2022.html

For those willing and able to donate, please do here: https://cact.gives/fundraising/nicole-blackman

Thank you, and let’s make this year its best yet!

Comments

• Options
    Can you add a link to the walk, please?
  • Options
    I wont be there this year but aim to do the virtual walk of 9-10 miles everyday up until the 23rd the day of the Upbeats walk.
  • Options
    Can you add a link to the walk, please?
    Here is the link to all details of the walk and how to sign up etc.

https://cact.gives/event/3/upbeats-walk-2022
  • Options
    I'll be there, its a great day. Good to catch up with lifers.
  • Options
    Looking forward to doing this again, always a good day (and a great cause). Still trying to work out why I bothered getting a ticket for the game though.
  • Options
    I’m doing the walk too - bloody hope the weather is kind ! 
  • Options
    My daughter and her mate are doing the walk on my behalf as I’m injured.  Daughters friend has an uncle with Downs Syndrome.

love this cause and it’s usually a great day so hope it all goes to plan
  • Options
    Group of us from the Friday Night Social will be doing the walk. Not sure I’ll manage playing a 2 hour session on the Friday night, before doing 9 miles the next morning though! 
  • Options
    Looking forward to doing this again, always a good day (and a great cause). Still trying to work out why I bothered getting a ticket for the game though.
    Did you apply for the £5 tickets? See you Saturday! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did you apply for the £5 tickets? See you Saturday! 
    I did, see you there 
  • Options
    @DaveMehmet
    Could you please sign me in and nick a teeshirt XL, I'll catch up somewhere in SE9

• Options
    T_C_E said:
    @DaveMehmet
    Could you please sign me in and nick a teeshirt XL, I'll catch up somewhere in SE9

Will do mate.
  • Options
    Really surprised to see that this is limited to 200 people. Is this the first time that's happened and if so, why? Please not Health and Safety...
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Missing this one sadly, worked out where to join the walk away from SL but after working out the cost of fuel, the zone charge and my dogs insurance it’s a £100 day money that will pay for three local visits. 
    Plus the thought of bumping into Mr Keohane turns my stomach. 

Edited….
    Thanks to an anonymous sponsor and on the understanding and a promise to my wife I stay away from club premises myself and Therapy dog Bowyer will be joining the Upbeats walk. 💪
    My ignorance - does this mean you need insurance per event your dogs are involved with? Didn't appreciate the wider implications of all that you do. Always more to things than it first seems I guess. Great you can support again this time.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Missing this one sadly, worked out where to join the walk away from SL but after working out the cost of fuel, the zone charge and my dogs insurance it’s a £100 day money that will pay for three local visits. 
    Plus the thought of bumping into Mr Keohane turns my stomach. 

Edited….
    Thanks to an anonymous sponsor and on the understanding and a promise to my wife I stay away from club premises myself and Therapy dog Bowyer will be joining the Upbeats walk. 💪
    My ignorance - does this mean you need insurance per event your dogs are involved with? Didn't appreciate the wider implications of all that you do. Always more to things than it first seems I guess. Great you can support again this time.
    Yes, if my dogs are working with the public as "working dogs" they need Liability insurance, 
    Some aspects of their work is covered by the charity insurance, but those events not endorsed by the charity we have to cover ourselves .
    For example helping at the Valley was around the £80 mark until the charge came in then fuel went up, I never asked for any money I was truly honoured to help out then they offered some expenses which was a great help although it didn't cover our outlay.
    Visiting individuals at home is frowned upon by the charity so again we cover it, we try to lump all our visits together in a month to make it cost effective but it doesn't always work out.
  • Options
    Really surprised to see that this is limited to 200 people. Is this the first time that's happened and if so, why? Please not Health and Safety...
    I think It is H&S - many more people and it would need stewards / marshals etc I think
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I think It is H&S - many more people and it would need stewards / marshals etc I think
    There’s nowhere near 200 people currently signed up for it.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Pretty sure they are. It was 180 odd a couple of weeks ago and I know of 5 more who have signed up since then 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    Pretty sure they are. It was 180 odd a couple of weeks ago and I know of 5 more who have signed up since then 
    It says 113 on the event hub?
  • Options
    Maybe that’s for the H&S nazis benefit 😀

“Nothing to see here, please move along”

shhhhhhhhhh
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Swisdom said:
    It says 113 on the event hub?
    I signed up me and Dec but it wasn’t the same as in previous years where he gets the info too. I only gave his name not his email etc. So maybe it’s 113 sign ups but some of those are multiple sign ups not accounted for? 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Why’s it not going to Greenwich this year or through Avery hill park? Also, I’ve never understood why it’s 9 miles not 10. It’s never been as the crow flies? 9 sounds lame when I tell people I’m doing a walk and they should sponsor me. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I was deterred by the thought of registering and all that might go with it (I note you are expected now to raise a minimum of £100). Turning into a corporate event which feels a shame. I hope that doesn't affect the fund-raising.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I was deterred by the thought of registering and all that might go with it (I note you are expected now to raise a minimum of £100). Turning into a corporate event which feels a shame. I hope that doesn't affect the fund-raising.
    I've done the walk 3 times I think and never raised £100 once, not even the 3 times together combined I don't think it's mandatory to raise that amount. Some people on here like to sponsor based on the number of CL members participating so I usually just like to add myself into that number instead.
  • Options
    It will be disappointing if we don’t get more than 100 or so - I’m not sure I understand this it’s all gone a bit corporate point - it’s a walk in aid of the upbeats and the money raised ( the more the better) goes to fund them - why on earth do people feel the need to confuse that with other points 
    it’s easy to register you can raise less or more than £100 and it’s a bloody good cause !! 
  • Options
    I’m sure the other year, it had a figure that you were expected to raise. It asked how you were going to achieve the figure. I said, family, friends and CL website.
  • Options
    It will be disappointing if we don’t get more than 100 or so - I’m not sure I understand this it’s all gone a bit corporate point - it’s a walk in aid of the upbeats and the money raised ( the more the better) goes to fund them - why on earth do people feel the need to confuse that with other points 
    it’s easy to register you can raise less or more than £100 and it’s a bloody good cause !! 
    I will be equally disappointed if there are significantly less walkers than in previous years, especially after the gap due to Covid. Kind of why I am making this point. The need to register and mention of a £100 minimum target has put me off and I am guessing it will have done others too. What was wrong with what was done previously? It was easy, carefree and raised the cash?

• Options
    I've signed up - when I did it last time there was a target which I met comfortably. Sadly this time round, WFH and work restructures make it more of a challenge. Now if only the people I go with who are all on holiday and missing this game would cough up.... 

Was hoping to get my daughter involved but she's not coming. Looking forward to seeing other Lifers tomorrow.