Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bruce Willis To Retire From Acting.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    No wonder he managed to cram in a load of straight to DVD flicks before this. I follow RedLetterMedia on YouTube which reviewed a few of these films and he is seen wearing an earpiece in some of them which prompted theories that he had dementia. 
  • Options
    Pretty sure this happened after Die Hard 2….
  • Options
    Remember Moonlighting.  Cracking 80's series, he was a great comic actor and Cybil Shepherb was a twitcher.
  • Options
    He was great in Moonlighting & Die Hard, and had a great few scenes in Pulp Fiction. The least said about Hudson Hawk the better. 
  • Options
    Last Man Standing 👌
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    1StevieG said:
    No wonder he managed to cram in a load of straight to DVD flicks before this. I follow RedLetterMedia on YouTube which reviewed a few of these films and he is seen wearing an earpiece in some of them which prompted theories that he had dementia. 
    It's possibly worse than that - there's a story going around that the guy who produced a lot of those movies knew he was onto a winner despite Bruce's issues. All he had to do was get a budget together that could make a shitty movie, get Bruce in for 24 hours of shooting, whack him on the poster and bam - he could make a profit. 

But it seems Bruce was already finished. He hardly knew where he was, and was being exploited by this guy and Bruce's entourage, who were helping to wheel him onto the set where he listened to lines from the earpiece and repeated them out loud. At times he literally didn't know he was on a set or why he had to say things. 

I don't know if this story is true, but it certainly fits with his alarming regularity in straight-to-streaming guff, and the performances therein.  I just don't think I can buy that his family would allow it to happen. 

Here’s a good article about his career and feelings toward the press. 

https://english.elpais.com/culture/2022-03-07/from-the-highest-paid-actor-in-hollywood-to-straight-to-video-b-movies-the-rise-and-fall-of-bruce-willis.html?outputType=amp
  • Options
    I would also argue that 12 Monkeys is his best performance by some distance. He did well in Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but it was all understatement in Shayamalan films. While Looper was his last, great film. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we are shouting out great films, he was great in Death becomes her too.. totally against type in his heyday, but very funny.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    1StevieG said:
    It's possibly worse than that - there's a story going around that the guy who produced a lot of those movies knew he was onto a winner despite Bruce's issues. All he had to do was get a budget together that could make a shitty movie, get Bruce in for 24 hours of shooting, whack him on the poster and bam - he could make a profit. 

But it seems Bruce was already finished. He hardly knew where he was, and was being exploited by this guy and Bruce's entourage, who were helping to wheel him onto the set where he listened to lines from the earpiece and repeated them out loud. At times he literally didn't know he was on a set or why he had to say things. 

I don't know if this story is true, but it certainly fits with his alarming regularity in straight-to-streaming guff, and the performances therein.  I just don't think I can buy that his family would allow it to happen. 

Either way, Here's a good article about Bruce's career and his attitude to the press who never respected his efforts

Link does not seem to be working 
  • Options
    Superb actor. Loved him in Die Hard, 5th Element,  Pulp Fiction, etc.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Bruce but, on the other hand, he did get to have marital sexual relations with the stunning Demi Moore at her peak in the early 1990s so, all thing considered, he’s had a pretty decent innings!
  • Options
    He was great in Moonlighting & Die Hard, and had a great few scenes in Pulp Fiction. The least said about Hudson Hawk the better. 
    I quite liked Hudson Hawk. 
  • Options
    I feel in love with him in Moonlighting and I have watched absolutely everything he’s done.
    Good and bad.
    He just does it for me.

And I have no shame in admitting that the very first moment I saw Hubby, in his suit at Southwark nick, my breath was taken away because the similarity to ‘David’ was unbelievable.

He knows I only fell in love with him because he looked like Bruce Willis.

Take care Bruce ♥️
  • Options
    That's awful news. For someone who has a lifetime, and presumably love of, communication for a living that's going to be hard to come to terms with.

Yes, some of his more recent stuff has been utter guff, but he's also been in some classic movies too.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Bit harsh.
    Agreed that it’s a bit harsh in the circumstances. It’s not nice news and I wish BW the best of health and a happy retirement. 
    I do, however, agree with the point that I think @Fumbluff was trying to make - even if the attempt at humour was a little insensitive - ie He isn’t a great actor and has done very little good work since the first two Die Hards. And even they were only good because they were so splendidly cheesy and silly. I was never quite able to understand why he had mass appeal.

Nonetheless, good luck and good health to him.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Bit harsh.
    Agreed that it’s a bit harsh in the circumstances. It’s not nice news and I wish BW the best of health and a happy retirement. 
    I do, however, agree with the point that I think @Fumbluff was trying to make - even if the attempt at humour was a little insensitive - ie He isn’t a great actor and has done very little good work since the first two Die Hards. And even they were only good because they were so splendidly cheesy and silly. I was never quite able to understand why he had mass appeal.

He once said that Terry Gilliam was the first person to tell him hto act, and not just do his cocky smug thing. I really do think the movie press annoyed him and he just said fuck it, I'll do my thing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Bit harsh.

the fact that multiple people keep coming up with more and more quality performances the longer the thread goes on suggests you are wrong. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Bit harsh.

the fact that multiple people keep coming up with more and more quality performances the longer the thread goes on suggests you are wrong. 
    Maybe. Or maybe we just disagree.
    To be honest, I was just posting an opinion. I don’t think he’s a great actor, but I guess you do. 
    But to be honest, I have no intention of derailing what is essentially a respectful thread following some sad news about BW’s health that I wouldn’t wish on anyone.
    So if it’s ok with you, I’d rather we just agree to disagree and wish him well.
  • Options
    Armageddon was great

Die hard trilogy, sixth sense, looper, pulp fiction... All great films 
  • Options
    Also really liked hostage and sin city 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    1StevieG said:

Here’s a good article about his career and feelings toward the press. 

https://english.elpais.com/culture/2022-03-07/from-the-highest-paid-actor-in-hollywood-to-straight-to-video-b-movies-the-rise-and-fall-of-bruce-willis.html?outputType=amp
    Thanks for posting the article. For a non film buff like myself it was interesting reading.  I guess I only really know BW from his big hits as I don't watch that many movies outside of those and the ones recommended by Beds at Xmas.  I had no idea he had featured in so many B movies recently, a somewhat sad end to a high profile career.

Whilst clearly not the greatest actor, BW for me was generally an actor who's name was synonymous with easy watching American action films.  I enjoyed just about all of those listed above.

At 67 he is still a relatively young man and I wish him well in his years ahead.
  • Options
    Terrible shame..a top Hollywood actor 
  • Options
    Absolutely mental opinion from me but Die Hard with a vengeance is the best one and probably the only decent 3rd film ever. 
  • Options
    Absolutely mental opinion from me but Die Hard with a vengeance is the best one and probably the only decent 3rd film ever. 
    the 3rd was just as good as the 2nd for me.
    But love all 3 and have watched them over and over.
  • Options
    I agree with your praise for Die Hard 3, awesome film, but cannot let that slur on Toy Story 3 or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade lie without comment...
    And some might argue that the most oscar-decorated film of all time, LOTR ROTK, was decent. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Never thought he was a great actor and relied on his charisma on screen.

Awful that he has cognitive decline - I hope he gets all the support he needs. Very worrying for him and his family.