Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Two surprising stats that I didn’t expect us to be leading… home wins and away losses…

edited March 2022 in General Charlton
As a percentage, we have the most home wins by two or more goals in the league (85%).

Charlton 2-0 Crewe
Charlton 4-0 Doncaster
Charlton 2-0 Plymouth
Charlton 2-0 Ipswich
Charlton 2-0 Cambridge
Charlton 2-0 Fleetwood
Charlton 3-2 Wimbledon

As a percentage, we have the most away losses by a single goal in the league (90%).

Oxford 2-1 Charlton
MK 2-1 Charlton
Wycombe 2-1 Charlton
Lincoln 2-1 Charlton
Shrewsbury 1-0 Charlton
Plymouth 1-0 Charlton
Crewe 2-1 Charlton
Bolton 2-1 Charlton
Wigan 2-1 Charlton
Sheff Wed 2-0 Charlton

Both trends had 100% records this season until our most recent home win and most recent away loss.

We tend to like winning 2-0 at home and losing 2-1 away. To a degree that is almost bizarre. You’d have made a decent amount of money backing those scores when Charlton play this season.

What does it actually tell us? Probably not a lot. Maybe the fact that we do enough to stay in games away from home but not enough to take points. Perhaps it shows we can turn it on when we want to at home but don’t do it often enough. 

Bottom line is that I just thought it was interesting and wanted to share…

Comments

• Think we also have the most games at home without goals conceded.
  • Of course we have a great home record - that's what having a capacity crowd every week delivers. Also, look at the number of clean sheet wins. #thomasdelivers
  • I saw a stat that backs up your point and is just as bizarre, although it was a few weeks ago now, MacG was second for most clean sheets in the league.  Considering how much our defence gets slagged off (and rightly so) very surprising.  
  • Look at all those clean sheet wins! 
  • I don’t understand those percentages
  • Any why is a 3-2 win listed as win by 2 or more goals 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Any why is a 3-2 win listed as win by 2 or more goals 
    I think the OP means winning by scoring 2 or more goals, not winning BY 2 or more.
  • What it tells me is that if we score 2 goals then we dont generally lose. We might score in away games but not enough to win. 

All teams can score......you just have to score more than your opponents to win. Generally if you score 3 goals in a match you will get something from it. Most likely a win. 

Also scoring first helps.....😉
  • MrOneLung said:
    I think the OP means winning by scoring 2 or more goals, not winning BY 2 or more.
    No, he's listed all the home wins and all the away losses to illustrate where the percentages have come from. Six out of seven home wins by a two goal margin gives 85% and nine out of ten away losses by a single goal giving 90%.

Interesting stuff.
  • Also shows how different things could look with some of those defeats.

Bolton away we were winning it until late. Crewe we had a late equaliser disallowed, Shrewsbury they scored in injury time, Wigan we were winning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also shows how different things could look with some of those defeats.

Bolton away we were winning it until late. Crewe we had a late equaliser disallowed, Shrewsbury they scored in injury time, Wigan we were winning.
    We were drawing with Bolton.
  • We have scored more often than missed in the half time penalty crossbar challenge.
    Spooky huh?
  • small consolation
  • think this is a meaningless stat

we could have lost ten games at home and won just one by 3-0 and we could top the divisions stats by having 100% of our home victories by at least 3 goals

Nothing to celebrate about that
  • MrOneLung said:
    No, he's listed all the home wins and all the away losses to illustrate where the percentages have come from. Six out of seven home wins by a two goal margin gives 85% and nine out of ten away losses by a single goal giving 90%.

Interesting stuff.

Yes that's exactly it. Sorry if it was unclear.
  • edited March 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    think this is a meaningless stat

we could have lost ten games at home and won just one by 3-0 and we could top the divisions stats by having 100% of our home victories by at least 3 goals

Nothing to celebrate about that
    I guess you could argue that, yes. But I wasn't trying to say we are really good at home, just that we are incredibly inconsistent at home. We either win comfortably, or lose comfortably with no in between. That's a sign of a talented but mentally immature squad IMO.

What the away table might tell us is that we are generally beaten in close affairs. If you look at the teams around us and compare the number of losses to ours, it points to the fact that those teams have done well to turn these 2-1 defeats into 1-1 draws by not conceding sloppy goals which throw points away. Bolton immediately comes to mind here. Lincoln & Shrewsbury are another two.

Source:

https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england3&tid=e

Here is a table transformed for home wins to illustrate the point I was making in the first post.

And the same for the away losses:

• The only stat that matters is we are 16th in the 3rd division  :'(