Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dehumidifiers

After a bit of advice from the CL hive mind....

Our en suite is awful for condensation, and then mould etc.

Was a problem when we moved in, and several attempts at fixing it - better extractor fan, moving the fan directly above the shower etc have improved it a but but not enough.

So I'm after a small dehumidifier that we can chuck in there for half an hour or so after someone has had a shower to help.  

After one that will be decent but won't break the bank, doesnt need to be that big as its a small en suite, but needs to work!  No idea where to start as haven't had to use one before.  Any recommendations?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Options
    We have a wet room which we always ventilate until dry after use until dry if possible, our dehumidifier is in our conservatory, which can get damp in winter, we have a Unibond 360° which when used with permanent low heat keeps it dry and usable. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    We have an 'electriq' model. Not sure of spec.

Been good. Think i got from John Lewis or maybe ao.com

Helps with drying washing indoors this time of year too.
  • Options
    I got this one 8 years ago and it's still working pretty well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005G7M9BU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use it for when we've got clothes out to dry
  • Options
    Bought this one from Screwfix. Has worked really well.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-wdh-316db-16ltr-dehumidifier/368gy

• Options
    After a bit of advice from the CL hive mind....

Our en suite is awful for condensation, and then mould etc.

Was a problem when we moved in, and several attempts at fixing it - better extractor fan, moving the fan directly above the shower etc have improved it a but but not enough.

So I'm after a small dehumidifier that we can chuck in there for half an hour or so after someone has had a shower to help.  

After one that will be decent but won't break the bank, doesnt need to be that big as its a small en suite, but needs to work!  No idea where to start as haven't had to use one before.  Any recommendations?

Cheers in advance.
    In my previous house we had similar problems to what your experiencing. We bought a couple of dehumidifiers one for upstairs and one down. Frankly it’s like magic. Sounds to me that putting one on your landing upstairs and keeping your doors open will make a significant difference but during the late autumn and winter months you’ll probably need to keep it running most of the time. They don’t cost the earth. About £250 will get you a decent one but they won’t work if you don’t keep them running. You’ll be shocked just how much water you get out of them. 
  • Options
    Screwfix Blyss is good.
    You need one that takes at least 12ltrs out every 24 hrs. 

Look at how easy they are to empty and how noisy. 

The one above has the option for continuous emptying which could be useful as you want it in the shower room. Switches off when full which is essential!!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I have a damp house and have 2 running almost all of the time. One in cellar and one in upstairs bedroom. They usually pull out about 2-4 litres each in less than 24 hours, always full if I change at the same time each day.
    There are diffent types. The old compressor style are noisy but very effective. 
    They can last anything from 2-4 years+ if in continual use. 

Got a MEACO DD8L in cellar at moment but occasionally use it in closed small bedroom as a drying room. We leave a full load of washing hanging up and in a day it's all dry. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Had one for the old house. Made by eBac. Good customer service and UK made. Did wonders to keep the place damp free.
  • Options
    Bought this one from Screwfix. Has worked really well.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-wdh-316db-16ltr-dehumidifier/368gy

^^ We use this in our flat, made a huge difference and a good price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have 2 of these. (Bought 1 for my daughter when she was at Uni),
    They dry clothes really well, and help keep the condensation to minimum around the house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EcoAir-Desiccant-Dehumidifier-Bacteria-Basement/dp/B09FFMCNJG/ref=sr_1_2?m=A33A7QFCM8K4UW&qid=1645715669&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2&th=1

• Options
    I got an air filtration system fitted. It takes the air from outdoors, filters out humidity, pollution etc and pumps it into the house. It has reduced the humidity level in our bedroom from 65% to 55% on wet days.
    The old air extraction system is now dormant. This new system pushes the humid air out rather than try to suck it out.

https://www.ventilairsec.co.uk/
  • Options
    Hugely recommend. Had one for both the last two flats and has worked wonders. Have had a Pro Breeze one both times. First one died after about 5-6 years. Second one going strong 4 years in. Without being allowed to hang washing out, it’s a god send.

Only suggestion, get one that’s at least 12-20 litres as the small ones really aren’t fit for doing rooms. (Good for damp cupboards though)
  • Options
    Had one for the old house. Made by eBac. Good customer service and UK made. Did wonders to keep the place damp free.
    Ebac are a good company I think. their UK made washing machines are supposed to be excellent too.

• Options
    They are essential in my opinion during the damp months of the year. Significantly improves the ability to dry washing indoors and we use ours to do that in the conservatory which eliminates condensation.  If your house flat suffers with condensation issues then one strategically placed will dramatically improve the situation if all doors are left open. Wouldn’t be without one now. Get the largest water reservoir you can.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Always open the bathroom window during showing, it makes a huge difference.

The extractor is ideally operated by a humidistat, so it will always turn on when required if set correctly.

Once you've finished in the bathroom leave the door open. A lack of air movement in a damp environment will always be a problem. The only potential problem with this is that you need to watch that you're not transferring the problem to a different area of the dwelling.

Be aware that you can also create lots of moisture in the kitchen by cooking or boiling the kettle, so ventilation and extraction from the kitchen would help generally too as well as avoid drying washing indoors.

A dehumidifier should always be a last resort as they are expensive to run and have the potential to draw too much moisture out of the fabric of the building causing other problems. Having said that, I use one in a particular room that can get musty if we don't.

Edit: I forgot.  Get a squeegee and use it after every shower to get the water off all surfaces and down the plug hole asap.

It also helps if you can keep the wall temperature above 15 degrees.