Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our goal contribution from midfield this season

I took these from Wikipedia (may be incorrect), and it includes all games this season, league and cups, and substitute appearances, but I thought it was worth sharing just to shine a light on how far off we are and why we need major surgery this summer 

Charlie Kirk - 0 goals in 14 games
Alex Gilbey - 2 goals in 29 games (1 in the Papa John's)
Elliott Lee - 4 goals in 30 games (1 in the Papa John's)
Albie Morgan - 1 goal in 23 games
CBT - 1 goal in 25 (it was in the Papa John's)
George Dobson - 0 goals in 30 games
Jonathan Leko - 3 goals in 26 games (1 in the Papa John's)
DJ - 2 goals in 29 games 
Ben Watson - 0 goals in 9 games

That's a total of 13 goals, across a combined 215 games 

If you take out the Papa John's goals, 9 in League One, although the combined number of games will go down as well.  I couldn't be bothered to look it up.

9 LEAGUE GOALS.

I know Dobson and Watson are defensive midfielders, and Watson hasn't really featured since Adkins left, but just let that sink in.  It's terrible 

Not sure what the assist stats are, I expect them to be marginally better, but if we're taking a moneyball type approach to recruitment which I believe we have been, then surely the same applies for who we want to retain

Comments

• Options
    This thread should act as gulag for any poster who's used the phrase 'This midfield has goals in them' this season.
  • Options
    Can we have the assist stats too? :D
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leuth said:
    Can we have the assist stats too? :D
    Lee 4
    Morgan 3
    Leko 3
    DJ 2
    CBT 2
    Fraser 1
    Dobson 1
    Gilbey 1
    Kirk 1

From Opta via SofaScore app.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    From the Statbank, using the same players

Charlie Kirk - 0 assists in 14 games
    Alex Gilbey - 4 assists in 29 games
    Elliott Lee - 6 assists in 30 games
    Albie Morgan - 4 assists in 23 games (1 was in the Papa John's)
    CBT - 2 assists in 25 (1 was in the Papa John's)
    George Dobson - 1 assist in 30 games
    Jonathan Leko - 3 assists in 26 games
    DJ - 2 assists in 29 games
    Ben Watson - 0 assists in 9 games

22-assists...
  • Options
    (Kirk does have an assist, for instance. He passed to Leko before he scored against Fleetwood away) 
  • Options
    It's because we don't gamble. I noticed twice last night that when we put crosses into the box and Milton Keynes cleared, we didn't have anyone on the edge of the box to pick up the ball and shoot at goal. The game between the attacking players and central midfielders is shockingly big
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    (Kirk does have an assist, for instance. He passed to Leko before he scored against Fleetwood away) 
    BBC has Kirk down with two assists... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers/assists
  • Options
    Those stats say a lot , real lack of midfielders chipping in , which hopefully the addition of Fraser can help a bit but something that probably needs to be looked at in the summer. Ideally you'd want a 7-10 goal CM and same with the wingers. 
  • Options
    From the Statbank, using the same players

Charlie Kirk - 0 assists in 14 games
    Alex Gilbey - 4 assists in 29 games
    Elliott Lee - 6 assists in 30 games
    Albie Morgan - 4 assists in 23 games (1 was in the Papa John's)
    CBT - 2 assists in 25 (1 was in the Papa John's)
    George Dobson - 1 assist in 30 games
    Jonathan Leko - 3 assists in 26 games
    DJ - 2 assists in 29 games
    Ben Watson - 0 assists in 9 games

22-assists...
    Thanks mate.  Marginally better as I had thought.  20 assists in League One, or are those also including the the 1 League Cup and 3 FA Cup games?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Gilbey doesn't have four fucking assists. Will go with the official line 
    Gilbiesta
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Those stats say a lot , real lack of midfielders chipping in , which hopefully the addition of Fraser can help a bit but something that probably needs to be looked at in the summer. Ideally you'd want a 7-10 goal CM and same with the wingers. 
    At this rate Fraser will still have Covid in the summer
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    At this rate Fraser will still have Covid in the summer

Just sums this season up , finally sign a creative goalscoring midfielder, makes 2 sub appearances and gets COVID. 
  • Options
    Kirk Played 14 games? He was so anonymous I thought he only played in 3 or 4. 

• Options
    pitiful contribution from a shot shy bunch .. as much of a worry is the number of 'midfielders' who have taken the field .. a mix of inconsistent selection player incompetence and injury .. this cannot go on  >:)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Funny looking back at the start of the season to see how things actually turned out. Was always going to be hilarious in hindsight. 

There's one post in my memory that predicted the amount of goals each player would get over the season (during complaints that a frontline of Stockley + Davison wasn't enough). 

"Found it: 

Stockley 15-20
    DJ & Kirk 15-20 between them
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Inniss & other defenders 5
    Washington 10

That’s a 60-75 goals. The numbers add up quickly."

Will remove the users name because that's not the point. Just shows the overall overating of our midfield and attack. 
  • Options
    Funny looking back at the start of the season to see how things actually turned out. Was always going to be hilarious in hindsight. 

Found it: 

Stockley 15-20
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Washington 10

That’s a 60-75 goals. The numbers add up quickly.

Will remove the users name because that's not the point. Just shows the overall overating of our midfield and attack. 
    Washington has 9 in 24 had it not been for the injury it would have been a surprise if he had not gotten to at least 15.
  • Options
    pitiful contribution from a shot shy bunch .. as much of a worry is the number of 'midfielders' who have taken the field .. a mix of inconsistent selection player incompetence and injury .. this cannot go on  >:)
    It can, and it might, but lets hope not.
  • Options

There's one post in my memory that predicted the amount of goals each player would get over the season (during complaints that a frontline of Stockley + Davison wasn't enough). 

"Found it: 

Stockley 15-20
    Gilbey 5-10
    Morgan 5
    Clare 5
    Washington 10

That’s a 60-75 goals. The numbers add up quickly."

DJ ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clare has a goal from midfield. And a decent one too. Was it home against Pompey in a 2-2? Arrived late in the box and finished well.
  • Options
    Clare has a goal from midfield. And a decent one too. Was it home against Pompey in a 2-2? Arrived late in the box and finished well.
    it was .. if I recall .  a backward pass from a free kick (taken by Lee ?)  fooled the Pompey defenders , left Clare all alone, and he placed a terrific shot just inside their right hand post 
  • Options
    About all he did from midfield .  People make mistakes but his raw stupidly on Saturday has turned me back off him .