Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mullins + other potential signings

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Played the full ninety for West Ham tonight at Orient, starting to look unlikely now.

Comments

• Options
    agreed. WetSpam are hardly overloaded in the CM position and unless they sign another one soon I can't see this happening. May not happen until the last knockings of the window if at all.
  • Options
    I'm suprised we haven't had a big signing though (i don't mean in Weaver sense).

If it turns out come the start of the season, Luke Varney is our big signing, i'll be disappointed, and that's no disrespect to Luke.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I'm suprised we haven't had a big signing though (i don't mean in Weaver sense).

If it turns out come the start of the season, Luke Varney is our big signing, i'll be disappointed, and that's no disrespect to Luke.

if,as alledged,we offered 3.5m for Earnshaw there must be some money knocking around to spend and that was before the Young/Romm income. I still reckon we'll spend close to about 3.5/4m on two players. Just wish he'd get on with it esp the CM. All these new players are going to take time to gel.
  • Options
    in all fairness, i went to the orient game tonight and mullins was pony, i'd take sinclair over that
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I'm suprised we haven't had a big signing though (i don't mean in Weaver sense).

This is what I meant yesterday. A signing to make you sit up, rub your hands together and go yeah ....
  • Options
    As with Mullins we are in a chain. West Ham buy a new CM then get rid of Mullins so he comes to us and I'm sure that the rumoour mill being what it is that Pards has identified a few players who are potential targets but we have to wait for activity elsewhere first. Similarly with loan signings.

I'm not too discouraged, the way Charlton operate in the transfer market we don't tennd to compete with other clubs, have a budget and if that player is outside the budget either a deal with lots of add-ons is done - eg Darren Bent, or we walk away. A bit passive, but it makes sense and stops us over-paying.
  • Options
    Realistically, what signing would make you sit up and rub your hands? Bearing in mind the league we are in and the money we have. Do we know of up and coming players who'd have the wow factor? We know we don't want someone who hasn't hacked it at PL level. Would Song be a 'sit up and rub your hands' signing? I'm hoping that some of the new signings will be a great success, but we didn't know anything about them before.
  • Options
    Ronaldinho, Henry, Messi .....
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: sasha_saves[/cite]Realistically, what signing would make you sit up and rub your hands? Bearing in mind the league we are in and the money we have. Do we know of up and coming players who'd have the wow factor? We know we don't want someone who hasn't hacked it at PL level. Would Song be a 'sit up and rub your hands' signing? I'm hoping that some of the new signings will be a great success, but we didn't know anything about them before.

Bang on Sasha. We have had the "big names" before (JFH, Murphy, Jeffers) and they never worked out at all. The only names that have worked have been PDC and Jorge.

We cannot afford big names and that has got to be a good thing IMHO.

For us, Mullins would be a "big name" as would Song as both are coming from Prem clubs.
  • Options
    If it comes to that when was the last time Charlton signed a player with "wow" factor? I don't remember us signing that many when we were in the Premiership...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think I went 'wow' when we signed Bryan Hughes - though not in a good way!
  • Options
    if we signed two from McLeod, Maynard, Mullins and Song i'd be really chuffed.
  • Options
    I think we all would Mart. Especially the latter in my case.
  • Options
    Guys I really do not understand where you think the money for a player who is obviously on a not to insignificant Premier League wage is coming from?
  • Options
    I get your points SS and Ormiston, but my concern is that are adopting a bit of a risky strategy.

I'm not talking 'wow' as in bringing in a superstar, i'm just concerned from the signings we have made, we haven't brought in anyone who is clearly a level above what we are going to be playing in, or are particularly proven and excelling at the league we are going to be in. The nearest we have got to that is Ilewumo, and he has scored goals by a team playing to his strengths and being direct, something i can' see us doing so much.

As for the other summer signings, Moo2 and Samedo have the unknown potential to go on and do big things, but there are still massive risks attached to that, particularly being young and away from home in a hustle bustle league. Varney i think will work hard but i can't see him delivering the kind of goals tally we would need to win the league. Todorov i think is someone who will prove past his best, and chances of him staying injury free are pretty slim. McCarthy i have serious doubts about and am dying to be proved wrong.

I think the pieces are there to have a good season, but it will rely on some long-term players gaining confidence and pushing on (Thomas, Reid, Ambrose), a couple of the new signings proving to be stars, the (what looks to me) not as potent as we would of liked strikeforce of Varney, Todorov, Bent and Ilewumo all chipping in with goals.

But above all else, we need one signing that will not so much as be a sign for the fans, but a sign for all the other clubs that we mean business. A proven, quality centre half / midfield / striker who we know will return.
  • Options
    No arguments about that AFKA - but I go back to my question: who is out there who fits the bill?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]if we signed two from McLeod, Maynard, Mullins and Song i'd be really chuffed.

Who's Maynard?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Forward from Crewe
  • Options
    Well for me Scott Sinclair for a year would be a rub your hands player.
  • Options
    Varney will score plenty for us, don't understand concerns about him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite] Forward from Crewe

He's a quality striker and although i like Varney i probably would have taken Maynard before him. that said varney will get 20+ goals this year.
  • Options
    don't share some peoples pessimism with Varney as I reckon he'll do more than ok and be our top scorer. The jury is out on McCarthy though for me as he looked (in one game I know) more akin to a carthorse than a footballer but in Pards I trust. Think Moo2 and Christiansen are going to be revelations. Iwelumo will do alright as well. Think Weaver will become a cult hero. Of the others I think Toddy will be a bit part player, come off the bench but score some vital goals to nick games. Samedo, havn't seen, can't comment.
  • Options
    Varney will be our Top Scorer LOCKED ON !
  • Options
    I'm surprised any of you older heads expect a rub your hands signing.

We are still extremely short in midfield so maybe you'll get your wish?
  • Options
    Given the budgetary constraints we should be looking at ambitious youngsters with scope to improve.

Andrew Crofts of Gillingham is 23, plays the holding role, scored 10 goals in league 1 last season from midfield as a holding player and has experienced the Championship albeit in a relegated side.

His wage demands wouldn't be excessice coming from Gillingham and by all accounts the lad has a decent attitude in the best Charlton traditions.

We could do a lot worse in my view. Scally is solely in it for the money so would sell if the price was right.

Personally I would prefer a player like Crofts to the likes of Mullins.
  • Options
    I believe our front men have a lot to offer us in the CCC.

Apart from Dickson, who's looking very sharp at the mo, and Walker, they've all had degrees of success and experience.

Iwelumo seems to have been a bit of a late starter, but he's been very effective for the last few seasons but scored 18 in the CCC last year and a penalty taker.

Varney - coming from non-league, as a late starter too, he's made a fair impression in a short time including CCC experience and 18 goals for Crewe last year. Still young and enthusiastic.

Don't underestimate 'Sweaty' - Todorov has got a brilliant first touch, flair and guile, and reads the game well.
    Everybody talks about 26 goals for Pompey in the CCC when they got promoted, and that he's injury stricken.
    He's 28, an experienced International, and a proven player at this level.

Then there's Marcus - if he's still here after the transfer window closes, then he's either got to knuckle down and produce the goods - or look forward to a season in the stiffs.
    On his day, he's big, strong and fast with a reasonable touch and shot. But his strength is in the air, providing he get's consistant service. Of course, everyone rightly questions his attitude.

Strikers thrive on service - that means crosses into the box, and we've been weak in that area for a few seasons now.
    Can we expect our wideman and creative players - we've got talent: JT, Ambrose, Christiansen, Reid, Sam - to be effective?

That could be the key.
  • Options
    How many other “wow” signings have their been in the CC so far? Fowler to Cardiff is all I can think of
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]How many other “wow” signings have their been in the CC so far? Fowler to Cardiff is all I can think of[/quote]

Bang on, WSS. The cream rises to the Prem, we get the unproven and the not good enoughs. Sad, but true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]How many other “wow” signings have their been in the CC so far? Fowler to Cardiff is all I can think of

Kish to Leicester ??
  • Options
    I suspect that Fowler may turn out to be more "why" than "wow".