Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February @ 3pm | Match Preview

Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United
Saturday 19th February 2021 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Carl Boyeson

Introduction
To make an extremely brave prediction, between now and the end of the season I dont things will get overly better for Charlton on the pitch - Last Saturday we put in a spirited performance up at the DW Stadium, yet so often this season, the effort was visible at times, yet so were the simple mistakes that have cost us in so many games - This Saturday we play host to another promotion chasing side in Oxford United, as for our own season, it appears to have Gone with the Wind... Frankly, I dont think many give a damn.

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United (7th) | Manager: Karl Robinson
Ground: Kassam Stadium
Previous Meeting: Oxford United 2-1 Charlton Athletic

To continue to be frank, we can all joke about the irritating, endless chatterbox that is Karl Robinson, yet you equally have to admire his ability to take clubs to a level that is potentially above their ceiling - Oxford fans will no doubt feel slighted by that comment, especially when you consider the continued support from Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth (Yes that was a copy and paste job).

Yet since his takeover in 2018, the Thai owner has turned Oxford into a club that is regularly fighting for a first return to the Championship since 1999 - Each of the last two campaigns have seen Oxford reaching the Play-Offs, yet so far have been unable to take that final step; 2019-20 is the closest they've ever been, losing 2-1 to Wycombe Wanderers in a deserted Wembley Stadium. Once again this term, Oxford find themselves in the mix for those four Play-Off spots, at present they're just a point behind Plymouth in sixth and I for one wont be surprised if Karl Robinson can guide them to another season extension.

As for their squad, I'm continued to be shocked by their ability to keep hold of Cameron Brannagan, the midfielder (Once of Liverpool's Academy) was subject to interest from Blackpool last month, yet once again remained in Oxfordshire. He's one who'll be looking for a second hat-trick in the South East this season, having scored four, yes FOUR, penalties in a recent trip to Gillingham.

Charlton Team News
Only here at Sparrows Lane could we possibly have three, yes THREE, Strikers out injured - We shouldn't really be surprised with regards to Chuks Aneke (although the attacker was involved in the majority of games last term), yet the continued absence of Jayden Stockley has hit us hard, and when you add in Conor Washington that mix.

The one highlight means that the Goal Machine that is Daniel Kanu has now been given an opportunity, and should be on the bench once again this coming Saturday - Unfortunately with three senior players out, and against a team fighting at the top, you'd expect the same outcome that we're currently seeing with Mason Burstow. Elsewhere and the fact that Scott Fraser has managed to catch COVID (so soon after impressing at Bolton) is a typical sign of how our season has felt an absolute joke - Hopefully it wont be too long until we see the Scottish Playmaker back in action.

MacGillivray
Lavelle - Inniss - Famewo
Jaiyesimi - Dobson - Gilbey - Castillo
Lee
Leko - Burstow

Substitutes Bench: Henderson - Pearce - Clare - Morgan - Purrington - Campbell - Kanu

Prediction
The run of fixtures we now find ourselves in was always going to be a tough ask, even when we looked back at them in June - Unfortunately with the injuries mounting up again, this Saturday could be another step too far for this squad, even with our impressive home record at present - It might be a chance for youngsters to show if they have potential for next season, but equally we dont want to "Joe Pigott" any of them.

Comments

• Options
    hope it is postponed due to the weather as it will give some players a chance to regain fitness
    Rearranged game on a Tuesday night with an official attendance of 24000 and only 8000 of those in the ground 
  • Options
    hope it is postponed due to the weather as it will give some players a chance to regain fitness
    Bollox to that.
    I much prefer our games to be on a Saturday. 
    It's not as if there is anything to play for so let's just get on with it.
    2 2 draw  for me.
  • Options
    Don't hold out much hope for this one, but that's usually when we pull it out of the bag!
  • Options
    I'd rather we played two AMs behind Burstow instead of putting Leko up top. Our striking options are woeful at the moment.
  • Options
    Do we know for certain Fraser is out?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'd rather we played two AMs behind Burstow instead of putting Leko up top. Our striking options are woeful at the moment.
    I wouldn’t play either I’d have two AMs like you say behind Kanu, tell the kid to go enjoy himself no pressure.
  • Options
    No way, I want this miserable season done as soon as possible.
  • Options
    I'll be there but I haven't been this unexcited for a game in a long time. The idea of having Leko and Burstow up front is not helping that feeling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would definitely like to see Lavelle back in the side. As well as giving us more aerial ability defensively, he's a threat in the opposition box and a set-play is probably our best chance of scoring with him and Inniss in the side. I did wonder whether it might be worth including an extra man in midfield and asking Clare to do a man-to-man marking job on Brannagan, although that would probably involve a change of shape, with Purrington coming in for Famewo in a flat back four.

Oxford have been a bogey side for us in recent years and it's particularly unfortunate that we are without four key players. We do need to take something from this game, as we'll probably remain depleted for the two games next week and we don't want to be in a position where we're looking over our shoulders again. 
  • Options
    Sorry FA, but who is Campbell, who is on the bench?
  • Options
    My money is on Oxford this weekend 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Sorry FA, but who is Campbell, who is on the bench?
    Tyreece Campbell... another U18 - Id be shocked if he was on there to be honest
  • Options
    Horrendous weather forecast .. another horrendous injury crisis …… we are up against it ….. like to see Kanu and Leko led the line …. But if we go one up top then why not a centre half like Laville or Inniss as a target man with Lee, Gilbey and Leko playing of him sometimes you have to try something diff when you have very limited options 
  • Options
    But I will say .. we need the man in black to get it right .. the luck against us before we start we can’t afford the ref making basic errors like in the last three games at key moments 
  • Options
    These are the sort of games I always expect us lose so no doubt we will win.

I think the lack of Stockley and Washington more highlights our general weakness as a team, not how good they are. We aren't missing chances, we just aren't creating anything 
  • Options
    Time for Gilbey to get on the scoresheet along with Lee. I can`t see any points for us this game. Oxford have more to play for and we will be too weak. 0-2 
  • Options
    Is B-Taylor out as well?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d play Gilbey off Burstow , but it doesn’t fill me full of excitement. 

A keeper 

Clare, Lavelle, Inniss

Matthews, Morgan, Dobbo, Lee, DJ

Gilbey

Burstow 
  • Options
                 Big Mac
       Lavelle  Inniss.  Famewo
    Clair. Gilbey  Dobson. Jay
          B-Taylor. Burstow.

If B-Taylor is fit I would play him much further forward as he is a fairly big guy and has the pace to frighten defenders. I think he would be more of a threat than Leko.
  • Options
    The first step of an improbable playoff run. 3-0 the Addicks.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Hoping for something like this - I see no point in playing two strikers when we haven’t got the players to play those roles. 

1-3 Oxford
  • Options

Hoping for something like this - I see no point in playing two strikers when we haven’t got the players to play those roles. 

1-3 Oxford
    Playing 2 strikers when you haven't got any is inverse Adkins/Robinson, which they both got, rightfully, dogs abuse for.

Saying that we haven't got the player to play one up front either. 
  • Options
    That's a powder puff attack. We are very unfortunate to be missing all our strikers. I will be at the game but my expectations are as low as they have ever been. I simply cannot see any realistic way we can win this. I can't see us scoring either, so a depressing prediction of 0-2. PS. Please do not play Leko up front (or at all ideally)!
  • Options
    That's a powder puff attack. We are very unfortunate to be missing all our strikers. I will be at the game but my expectations are as low as they have ever been. I simply cannot see any realistic way we can win this. I can't see us scoring either, so a depressing prediction of 0-2. PS. Please do not play Leko up front (or at all ideally)!
    We are unfortunate to be missing Stockley and Washington at the same time .  We knew what we were getting with Aneke
  • Options
    This is the plan to score a goal. Use the conditions.
    When kicking into the wind you lob up a punt forward with backspin , it hangs in the air then drops with no pace so defenders can't clear it far(if heading). Whilst its in the air your forward(s) gamble and swarm forward to pick up the clearance. This is guile shown by Blackburn  when they beat us in the Championship at the Valley on a windy day.
    We'll still probably lose this one but one goal would be a help. I'm confident that Burstow could score a proper "footie" goal if given the opportunity, but will the midfield create something for him?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    We are unfortunate to be missing Stockley and Washington at the same time .  We knew what we were getting with Aneke
    There no team at any level who would not be affected by missing their 3 main experienced Strikers 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    There no team at any level who would not be affected by missing their 3 main experienced Strikers 
    Management must have known about JS being more serious and long term, and we know Chuks track record and similar with CW. Not luck at all. Accept we may not have the money to buy another, TS must have poured money in so far. But not bad luck imho.