Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Out of contract players - Summer 22

To go alongside the new thread of plan for the summer recruitment wise. I’ve complied a list of players who are out of contract this summer that I either think we could sign or should be aiming for…

Championship:

Moses Odubajo - Currently at QPR but not been a regular this season. Can play right back and right midfield so could be perfect in the RWB position. He’s from Greenwich so although he’s in London now, could a return to SE London be attractive? We must show ambition to bring in a player like him though.

Fred Onyedinma - Currently at Luton but not completed a 90 minute game all season. Usually in their squad but Luton may be looking for better. An ex-Millwall man so may not be the greatest of moves but a good League One player and again someone who might want a move back to SE London.

Michael Morrison - Even at 34 (next month) he’ll provide good leadership skills and organisation at the back, taking that baton from Pearce. As far as we are aware, he’s good friends with Jackson and will know Euell too. He may feel he has unfinished business and want to help us get back to The Championship, he’s done it before as Jackson as his captain, he might want to do it again with him as manager.

League One:

Tom Carroll - Struggled for game time this season at Ipswich by starting just 5 league games, the deep-lying central midfielder could look to rejuvenate his career by following former teammate Fraser to The Valley. A player who ought to be very good at this level with playing for Swansea in the Championship and coming through at Spurs.

Chey Dunkley - A very good central defender at this level and one I think Sheffield Wednesday might look to offer a new deal. However, if we have ambitions of getting promoted next season, he’s the level of player we need to be bringing in. 

Connor Wickham - Incredibly only 28, seems to have been around forever. Signed a short term deal at MK after his release from Preston in January. The only problem is he’s never been prolific but really ought to be a handful at this level if he can sort his fitness out. Jackson is friends with Lowe at Preston so will know more about him should we be interested. 

Michael Jacobs - Another player who his current club, Portsmouth, might want to offer a new deal. But after a couple of seasons of missing out on the play-offs, might feel a change of club and scenery could be the way he gets some success. 

John Bostock - Someone who hasn’t lived up to his potential or hype as a youngster but was on a deal we tried to do when he was at Toulouse. As Doncaster will be in League two next season, Bostock will look to get a move to another club and returning to London could be just what he needs to kickstart his career.

Panutche Camara - The dynamic, box to box midfielder was man of the match in December on the south west coast. A player who always seems to do well against us and I’d love for us to be able to pick him up on a free. We don’t have anyone doing similar to Gilbey and Camara is just as capable.

Jack Tucker - If rumours are to be believed, a player we were interested in last summer so might want to go back in this time round. The young central defender won’t be at Gillingham next season, even if they somehow manage to stay up. If we are to continue with the back 3, he’s someone I can see slotting in well instead of a flat back 4. 

Tom Lowery - A very talented player at this level and despite his stand off with Crewe last summer, he’s started and completed 16 league games since returning to the team for Crewe back in October. Another central midfielder who could really improve us.

Feel free to have a look and suggest others. I know we will be signing players with money this coming summer but we will also be looking to see if we can pick up a bargain by signing free agents as there are going to be some very good players available this summer.

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Jason Pearce. A no nonsense defender who has promotion CV with Wigan & Charlton. Maybe getting on a bit now but could be good for leadership on the pitch.

Connor Washington. A NI international who runs & runs & runs. Maybe not that prolific but his goals have proved pivotal in the past.

Ben Purrington. Like Pearce he has a promotion on his CV as well as a play off final.goal. Steady left back & can also be used as a left wingback. 

Need I go on.....😂

Edit.

Sorry Sage just a little joke. I know your post is well meaning & I bet others will be along soon with their faves.
  • edited February 2022
    A vast majority of your suggestions Sage are either struggling to get a game or are struggling to get out of bed due to age. I would rather we sign keen, hungry players that are playing football week in, week out.

Fred Onyedinma  Elliot Lee- Currently at Luton but not completed a 90 minute game all season. Usually in their squad but Luton may be looking for better................ See what I mean.

• Where is Steve Portway? 
  • Jason Pearce. A no nonsense defender who has promotion CV with Wigan & Charlton. Maybe getting on a bit now but could be good for leadership on the pitch.

Connor Washington. A NI international who runs & runs & runs. Maybe not that prolific but his goals have proved pivotal in the past.

Ben Purrington. Like Pearce he has a promotion on his CV as well as a play off final.goal. Steady left back & can also be used as a left wingback. 

Need I go on.....😂

Edit.

Sorry Sage just a little joke. I know your post is well meaning & I bet others will be along soon with their faves.
    I worry you might not be far off the mark.  I think Matthews may be let go this time.  I think only giving him a one year deal this year, and his performances overall may mean we’ll cut ties.  I know he’s only just coming back from injury, but I think he’ll go.  I have sneaking suspicion they’ll offer Lee a deal, which would send out all the wrong signals imo.

Anyhow, not to derail the thread.  Some okay names in Sage’s picks.  I still think we need 6/7 players to the ones we have now, so I am sure we be using out of contract players as a route to overhaul the team.  I’d be surprised if TS sanctioned more big spending this summer after Kirk, Stockley, Fraser and Aneke in the last two windows.  
  • Jason Pearce. A no nonsense defender who has promotion CV with Wigan & Charlton. Maybe getting on a bit now but could be good for leadership on the pitch.

Need I go on.....😂

Edit.

I agree about not signing Pearce and Purrington. I think we’ll be saying thank you but good luck in the summer. Washington though can definitely do a job and is good enough at this level.

But it’s okay, I know you’re joking :smile:
  • A vast majority of your suggestions Sage are either struggling to get a game or are struggling to get out of bed due to age. I would rather we sign keen, hungry players that are playing football week in, week out.

Fred Onyedinma  Elliot Lee- Currently at Luton but not completed a 90 minute game all season. Usually in their squad but Luton may be looking for better................ See what I mean.

Odubajo is 28. He actually started for QPR yesterday. Admittedly, very unlikely to join us but was a suggestion.

Onyedinma is 25 and featured around 20 times for Luton this season. Very good at League One level.

Morrison as said is 34 next month but as reasons stated think he could be a good addition.

Carroll is 29 and it just hasn’t worked out at Ipswich, happens sometimes.

Dunkley just turned 30 and is a quality centre back, even more so at this level.

Wickham is 28 and this is the lowest level he’s played at after being injured.

Jacobs is 30 and regularly performs well at this level.

Bostock is 30 but has quality, just might need to come back home to London to enjoy himself.

Camara is 24, arguably Plymouth’s best player and knows the area.

Tucker is 22 and will only get better as he develops. Young age for a centre back.

Lowery is 24 and shown his quality enough at this level.

I wasn’t suggesting we sign each and every one of them. But saying there are a number of good players who will be available and these are some examples.

Your point doesn’t stack up when the average age is actually 25 and other than Carroll, all have played a decent part for their team this season or recently joined in January, such as Wickham.
  • May e the 4 whom are 25 and under as I have heard of all of them and they seem to have pedigree.  Maybe Odubajo and Dunkley from your write up.  No to the rest.  Mainly old/injury prone and definitely not the type of players we should target imo.
  • edited February 2022
    May e the 4 whom are 25 and under as I have heard of all of them and they seem to have pedigree.  Maybe Odubajo and Dunkley from your write up.  No to the rest.  Mainly old/injury prone and definitely not the type of players we should target imo.
    Very much fair enough.

The bottom 3 would be very solid signings and be an improvement on what we currently have in terms of squad depth.

Dobson, Gilbey, Camara, Lowery, Morgan, Fraser would be strong. Would need more but that would be a good start. Forster-Caskey also if he can get himself fit.
  • Tucker would be a good choice IMO. They may have had a shit season but the fact he can play left and right side is good and he maybe able to play the central role as well.
    Surely Inniss Lavelle Famewo Clair Tucker and a couple of  centre backs we have playing for the under 23’s should be sufficient and offer good competition.
  • Panutche Camara had his contract extension clause triggered the other day. He'll be there next season. Top player tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Camara is the one who really stands out to me. Looks quality at this level whenever I've seen him. Feels like a good League One player who might have Championship interest but isn't out of our league so to speak.

Moses Odubajo would be a good signing for our system. I want to say he's a boyhood Charlton supporter too. I just suspect he'll get some Championship offers. But we'll see. 
  • Chunes said:
    Panutche Camara had his contract extension clause triggered the other day. He'll be there next season. Top player tho.
    That’s gutting. Still someone we could go after in the summer nonetheless.
  • Thought Joe Allen was a lot older than 31!
  • I'd be all over that Naby baby
  • edited February 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'd be all over that Naby baby
    Bring. Him. Home. 
  • We have been linked to Jodi Jones during Gallens time with us haven't we?
  • One name that jumped out at me is Ryan Nyambe. Can play RWB, RB, and RCB. I suspect he's too good to drop down to League One though. And just seen he's in their free agent 11 so yeah he'll have Champo offers. 

Ciaron Brown, who we may face tomorrow, left footer CB who has played fullback and is pretty mobile. Will be out of contract with Cardiff. 

Nathan Byrne has looked good at this level, might be an interesting one to challenge for that RWB role.

Those are the ones who jumped out at me but I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of lower league football. 
  • SDAddick said:
    One name that jumped out at me is Ryan Nyambe. Can play RWB, RB, and RCB. I suspect he's too good to drop down to League One though. And just seen he's in their free agent 11 so yeah he'll have Champo offers. 

Ciaron Brown, who we may face tomorrow, left footer CB who has played fullback and is pretty mobile. Will be out of contract with Cardiff. 

Nathan Byrne has looked good at this level, might be an interesting one to challenge for that RWB role.

Those are the ones who jumped out at me but I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of lower league football. 
    The one that jumped out at me was Swift, but no chance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Love Naby but he’ll be heading to the midlands to reunite with a certain Mr Bowyer.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    SDAddick said:
    One name that jumped out at me is Ryan Nyambe. Can play RWB, RB, and RCB. I suspect he's too good to drop down to League One though. And just seen he's in their free agent 11 so yeah he'll have Champo offers. 

The one that jumped out at me was Swift, but no chance. 
    Same but I didn't even put him because he's far too good. 
  • Sage said:
    Love Naby but he’ll be heading to the midlands to reunite with a certain Mr Bowyer.
    Gutted
  • I thnk we need to widen the search to players who maybe available but cost a fee. 
  • When can our out of contract players talk to other clubs ? I thought they can now but is that right.
  • Bailey said:
    When can our out of contract players talk to other clubs ? I thought they can now but is that right.
    Yes, they were allowed to from 1st February if in England. 1st January if abroad.
  • We have seen this scenario before, players now looking for fresh fields, not pointing the finger at anyone but if contract talks haven't started with some of our players then their agents would be actively sounding out their availability. Watch out for some below par performances then, like yesterday.