Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Carr

Anyone a fan? I can't stand him and am curious what he's up to with his holocaust 'joke'? Is he just desperate for publicity?

Comments

• And we're off! 

Honestly, I was hoping we wouldn't be though. These people thrive off any sort of publicity. Leave the **** alone, where he belongs 
  • McBobbin said:
    He's been saying highly offensive jokes like this for his entire career. It's his thing, and quite frankly it's fine by me - either you find offensive jokes funny or you don't. Surprised it was this one that caused the outrage.
    Have to say I've never found 'jokes' about genocide funny - not sure where the joke is?
    He knows who to target.

I don't mind offensive comedy if it makes a point or there is an ounce of intelligence in it. 
  • I am not a fan, because I don't think he's funny.  But I very much agree with something he said in an interview once: if you think I am funny, you're right; if you don't think I am funny, you're also right.  

I get the 'offensive' nature of his shtick - sometimes comedians rely on being a bit 'edgy' in order to provoke publicity.  If you like 'offensive' stuff, go and watch him; if you don't, then exercise your prerogative simply to switch over.  If he wants to try to be 'offensive' that's fine by me!  And if I am ever 'offended' by anything he says, tough titty!  I can always find someone better, funnier or more entertaining to be entertained by.  

But, if there's a line that is better not to cross, surely overt racism is it.  
  • Chizz said:
    I am not a fan, because I don't think he's funny.  But I very much agree with something he said in an interview once: if you think I am funny, you're right; if you don't think I am funny, you're also right.  

I get the 'offensive' nature of his shtick - sometimes comedians rely on being a bit 'edgy' in order to provoke publicity.  If you like 'offensive' stuff, go and watch him; if you don't, then exercise your prerogative simply to switch over.  If he wants to try to be 'offensive' that's fine by me!  And if I am ever 'offended' by anything he says, tough titty!  I can always find someone better, funnier or more entertaining to be entertained by.  

He's crossed the line - he wouldn't have directed this 'joke' at another community. 
  • This thread will get ugly.

Seen as I’m here though, if you have to resort to lines that malicious then you’re running out of ideas clearly.  I love a bit of offensive comedy if it’s quick witted, dry and intelligent but that was just a bit desperate.  

And before anyone gives it the “snowflake” treatment, go down to your nearest traveler site and spout it see how you get on..
  • Chizz said:
    I am not a fan, because I don't think he's funny.  But I very much agree with something he said in an interview once: if you think I am funny, you're right; if you don't think I am funny, you're also right.  

He's crossed the line - he wouldn't have directed this 'joke' at another community. 
    He crosses many 'lines' about many different communities.
  • Chizz said:

He's a smarmy git who knows who to target and thinks racism passes for comedy. If he was making a point I missed it.

• This thread will get ugly.

Seen as I’m here though, if you have to resort to lines that malicious then you’re running out of ideas clearly.  I love a bit of offensive comedy if it’s quick witted, dry and intelligent but that was just a bit desperate.  

And before anyone gives it the “snowflake” treatment, go down to your nearest traveler site and spout it see how you get on..
    Aren't you being prejudiced towards that community to insinuate that anyone making such jokes to people of the traveller community would end in violence? 
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:
    He's been saying highly offensive jokes like this for his entire career. It's his thing, and quite frankly it's fine by me - either you find offensive jokes funny or you don't. Surprised it was this one that caused the outrage.
    I’m not offended in the slightest either because I’m not a traveler.  This is what the “everyone’s a snowflake these days” mob don’t get, it ain’t up to you it’s up to the mob it’s aimed at to decide if it’s offensive.  
  • Dazzler21 said:
    This thread will get ugly.

Aren't you being prejudiced towards that community to insinuate that anyone making such jokes to people of the traveller community would end in violence? 
    If you insult a community with a joke about genocide you might get a response. 
  • edited February 2022
    Chizz said:

He's a smarmy git who knows who to target and thinks racism passes for comedy. If he was making a point I missed it.
    I assume you've never had travellers wreak havoc on your local community. I wouldn't say every traveller is the same, but it's no coincidence that wherever I have experienced Traveller's set up, violent crime increases, vandalism increases, littering including human waste increases. 

I will add these are my lived experiences having lived between two towns where the Traveller communities frequently set up in the local parks, school playgrounds and Farmer's fields. We have not had a visit since the beginning of Covid as far as I can remember though so 🤷‍♂️
  • Dazzler21 said:
    This thread will get ugly.

Maybe yeah, although the few I do know who have family with ties to that community would knock your head off if you started slagging them off. 
  • edited February 2022
    I'm off to see him soon at Blackheath ....................
  • edited February 2022
    Chizz said:

Sorry, you've gone from asking what it's all about to a conclusion in a matter of minutes. That suggests you started this thread for the reactions and wasn't curious about anything.

If you don't like him, don't watch him. I don't watch him for that very reason.

Can you now start a thread about some of my favourite ever comedians and their overtly racist jokes towards pasty people like myself? Start with Patrice O'Neal, Richard Pryor, Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle.

Let's get this right, this isn't about race at all. It's about people not liking certain types of comedy otherwise the outrage brigade would highlight all alleged 'racism' in comedy. They don't.
    If your offended by white jokes by all means start a thread no one is stopping you.

And a man was interviewed the other day on LBC who was described as “head gypsy”, he had the ravers.  Do you not think he’s in a better position to decide if it’s out of order or not??
  • Chizz said:

Sorry, you've gone from asking what it's all about to a conclusion in a matter of minutes. That suggests you started this thread for the reactions and wasn't curious about anything.

Can you now start a thread about some of my favourite ever comedians and their overtly racist jokes towards pasty people like myself? Start with Patrice O'Neal, Richard Pryor, Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle.

Let's get this right, this isn't about race at all. It's about people not liking certain types of comedy otherwise the outrage brigade would highlight all alleged 'racism' in comedy. They don't.
    If your offended by white jokes by all means start a thread no one is stopping you.

And a man was interviewed the other day on LBC who was described as “head gypsy”, he had the ravers.  Do you not think he’s in a better position to decide if it’s out of order or not??
    ....and therein lies the crux of the matter. Racism is racism, right? Whether it's in comedy or not. It's not a buffet.

I've raised it in this thread as it dovetails perfectly with the general theme of alleged racist jokes in comedy routines. Absolutely no need for a separate thread when one will do that covers all of the branches of that particular tree.
  • I quite like Jimmy Carr. I can't stand Frankie Boyle. Both can be edgy. I will exercise my choice to watch one and not the other.

It was performed "in context" and is presented as a joke, a pretence, a farce, not a statement of fact. If he had a placard saying "murder all gypsies" that would be a statement, not a pretence, but he doesn't. 

It is his art performed at the extremes, but that has a place. He wouldn't tell these jokes on The Royal Variety Performance.

• Chizz said:

....and therein lies the crux of the matter. Racism is racism, right? Whether it's in comedy or not. It's not a buffet.

I've raised it in this thread as it dovetails perfectly with the general theme of alleged racist jokes in comedy routines. Absolutely no need for a separate thread when one will do that covers all of the branches of that particular tree.
    Fair enough.  I see it differently personally, the person(s) on the receiving end decides if something is offensive, there’s not really a generic rule for it.  
  • Sponsored links:

• I just think it's a shit joke. Most effective comedy stems from surprise, and it's not surprising to hear Jimmy Carr make a joke like that, he's been doing it for decades. It's a weird one to do, because he's basically just punching down at the genocide of the European Romani community in the 1940s, which is a weird group to target in 2021. I actually think Jimmy Carr is a very funny man, incredibly witty, but I don't really see what there is left to be mined from this type of humour anymore. I thought it had died out when Frankie Boyle tipped its corpse into the sea with Tramadol Nights (and then course-corrected and is now pretty funny again after picking a new direction) but here we are in 2022, with Jimmy Carr making the same jokes he did in 2006. I think he could write funnier stuff.
  • Don't like stand up and never watch it, used to like Mike Reid when he was at his best, but never seen Jimmy Carr apart from "Would I Lie To You" and Qi, and no doubt he will be saying that old saying "All publicity is good publicity", so this will no doubt get his audience increased for the people who obviously love the guy..see the point that any direct reference to the holocaust in a humorous way is wrong and not funny..
  • McBobbin said:
    I’m not offended in the slightest either because I’m not a traveler.  This is what the “everyone’s a snowflake these days” mob don’t get, it ain’t up to you it’s up to the mob it’s aimed at to decide if it’s offensive.  
    I get this, and also generally don't find "punching down" in comedy all that amusing.

I think Stewart Lee said something abiut Jimmy Carr, and Frankie Boyle some time back about the sort of comedians who are outrageous all do it is relative safety... People going to their gig knowing what they are going to get and part of the "deal" is that it's a joke between you and the audience. Obviously that doesn't work so much when it's on TV, and being shared around where's there's no control over who sees it. Also at that point you have no control over how people should react to it.

I don't think anything should be off the cards for a comedian as long as it doesn't break the law. People can vote with their feet, vent their feelings over social media etc.
  • I don’t bother with him myself as his laugh irritates and he doesn’t pay his tax like most people do.
  • Also I don't think the joke was "lets laugh at Romani dying" it's more nuanced than that. It's getting a reaction from something that everyone at least ought to know is wrong. There's possibly a similar psychology to watching horror films or gross-out comedy that really doesn't stand a lot of scrutiny in the cold light of day. 
  • Can't say I really like or dislike him.
    Did see him at one of his joke test shows before Christmas and there was no subject that didn't face his 'over the mark' scrutiny.
    And I can tell you they ALL got plenty of laughs.

And for those who say he wouldn't say it to your face, he bombarded a heckler with a strong volley of Mum jokes when said 'hecklers' mum was sitting right behind him!
  • McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:
    I get this, and also generally don't find "punching down" in comedy all that amusing.

I think Stewart Lee said something abiut Jimmy Carr, and Frankie Boyle some time back about the sort of comedians who are outrageous all do it is relative safety... People going to their gig knowing what they are going to get and part of the "deal" is that it's a joke between you and the audience. Obviously that doesn't work so much when it's on TV, and being shared around where's there's no control over who sees it. Also at that point you have no control over how people should react to it.

I don't think anything should be off the cards for a comedian as long as it doesn't break the law. People can vote with their feet, vent their feelings over social media etc.
    This is a really interesting and though-provoking point and I largely agree.  However, it brings up two further points. 

First, I think comedians should choose to avoid racist jokes.  If you can be funny (and there's no doubt that Jimmy Carr can be very, very funny) you should be funny about anything, but it would, in most cases, be better if you chose not to be funny with racism.  Because you have people who aren't funny copying, repeating, amplifying the 'jokes' in a less funny way.  The racism becomes normalised.   (That is, a funny person saying a racist joke may make it funny; a member of the public saying the same, or similar, racist joke, will just be racist).  Does Jimmy Carr want to court, empower and encourage racists?  I wouldn't have thought so.  But this joke seems to do just that.  

The second point is this: what he said doesn't break the law.  But the Culture Secretary has said the government is looking at making this type of joke a subject of the new media bill, thus holding Netflix to account.  Do we want Nadine Dorries deciding what can and can't be said on television?  I don't.  

Jimmy Carr is funny.  I would just like him not to be racist too.  
  • I quite like Jimmy car, but that joke was just trying to be offensive... Not even funny
  • Chizz said:
    McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:

This is a really interesting and though-provoking point and I largely agree.  However, it brings up two further points. 

First, I think comedians should choose to avoid racist jokes.  If you can be funny (and there's no doubt that Jimmy Carr can be very, very funny) you should be funny about anything, but it would, in most cases, be better if you chose not to be funny with racism.  Because you have people who aren't funny copying, repeating, amplifying the 'jokes' in a less funny way.  The racism becomes normalised.   (That is, a funny person saying a racist joke may make it funny; a member of the public saying the same, or similar, racist joke, will just be racist).  Does Jimmy Carr want to court, empower and encourage racists?  I wouldn't have thought so.  But this joke seems to do just that.  

The second point is this: what he said doesn't break the law.  But the Culture Secretary has said the government is looking at making this type of joke a subject of the new media bill, thus holding Netflix to account.  Do we want Nadine Dorries deciding what can and can't be said on television?  I don't.  

Jimmy Carr is funny.  I would just like him not to be racist too.  
    I largely agree with this, and don't find racist jokes particularly amusing.  But I really don't know where a line can reasonably be  drawn, by Nadine Dorries or anyone else, as to what should be illegal and what shouldn't over and above "incitement to racial hatred" as per current UK law.