Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Archer is out for the season after another setback. 
    Is that two full seasons he’s been out for? I really think root overbowled him when he broke through 
    Last game he played for England was in March last year and apart from a couple of games for Sussex in May/July that is it. He's centrally contracted and was given an IPL contract despite not being fit to play such was the desire by his franchise to retain him.
  • Options
    Yet another England bowler with back issues - another stress fracture

It does beg the question of how Jimmy and Broady have managed to play for so long without endless injury concerns
  • Options
    Breakfast at Lord’s 

just see Stokes in the nets 

this place is heaven 
  • Options
    Breakfast at Lord’s 

just see Stokes in the nets 

this place is heaven 
    Stokes is in the Durham side, but Potts isn't. I assume the ECB have wrapped him in cotton wool
  • Options
    Yet another England bowler with back issues - another stress fracture

It does beg the question of how Jimmy and Broady have managed to play for so long without endless injury concerns
    Tbf england coaches almost wrecked jimmy’s body too. He was out for a year or two after they decided to rework his natural action which… led to him having a back stress fracture! After that he went back to something that worked, and has looked after himself. Iirc Leicestershire were very good about looking after broad and managing his workload at the beginning of his career.
  • Options
    Definitely starting to feel like Archer won't play again 
  • Options
    England need to sort out their S&C programmes. Stupid number of stress fracture in bowlers. Too worried about numbers in the gym and not player welfare 
  • Options
    Definitely starting to feel like Archer won't play again 
    White ball only for sure
  • Options
    England need to sort out their S&C programmes. Stupid number of stress fracture in bowlers. Too worried about numbers in the gym and not player welfare 
    I think that's a very good point. How do you get a stress fracture when you're not bowling a ball in anger and surely the S & C coaches are constantly monitoring any given situation? As Botham says, in the old days, players got fit bowling and didn't have anywhere near the number of injuries fast bowlers do nowadays. Is it that quest to build supreme athletes that can bowl a couple of miles quicker as a result?
  • Options
    I think that's a very good point. How do you get a stress fracture when you're not bowling a ball in anger and surely the S & C coaches are constantly monitoring any given situation? As Botham says, in the old days, players got fit bowling and didn't have anywhere near the number of injuries fast bowlers do nowadays. Is it that quest to build supreme athletes that can bowl a couple of miles quicker as a result?
    no, i think they do. Plus fast bowlers back in those days would play through niggles which would wreak havoc on their bodies in later life. They'd also retire earlier for that reason. I think generally bowlers bowl longer, more intense spells than they did before. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no, i think they do. Plus fast bowlers back in those days would play through niggles which would wreak havoc on their bodies in later life. They'd also retire earlier for that reason. I think generally bowlers bowl longer, more intense spells than they did before. 
    I don't think it is true that fast bowlers retired earlier years ago, they had no central contracts then,  they would play a test match and straight back to county cricket, they got there fitness by bowling never went into a gym, I grew up watching Trueman and Statham who played for years, Snow, Willis Botham and so on all had long careers most of the old faster bowlers would have played much more county cricket.

• Options
    I don't think it is true that fast bowlers retired earlier years ago, they had no central contracts then,  they would play a test match and straight back to county cricket, they got there fitness by bowling never went into a gym, I grew up watching Trueman and Statham who played for years, Snow, Willis Botham and so on all had long careers most of the old faster bowlers would have played much more county cricket.

but they didn't maintain their pace throughout their careers did they? Botham especially turned into a real trundler in his later years. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    When I was in the Caribbean some of the warm up the bowlers were doing were very intense. Mahmood was jumping over mini hurdles, catching a medicine ball in mid-air and slamming the ball down. I've not got the first clue about S&C but that must put a lot of strain on the lower back and add unnecessary miles to the clock 
  • Options
    Ben Compton having a very season so far.
  • Options
    7pm tonight on Sky cricket.
    Talking cricket - Nasser Hussain sits down with former sky commentator and new managing director of England men's cricket Rob Key
  • Options

They weren’t exposed to the stresses of limited overs cricket though Johnny.  I used to marvel at the fitness of Bob Willis with his run-up two thirds of the way to the boundary.  Richard Hadlee abandoned his long run up and was just as successful off a shorter run.
  • Options
    imagine if they actually bowled the full 90overs in a test day. 
  • Options
    Glad to see Anderson and Broad back in at the expense of Robinson who can't get himself fit. That decision to rest them never made any sense.
  • Options
    Archer is out for the season after another setback. 
    Is that two full seasons he’s been out for? I really think root overbowled him when he broke through 
    Agree, I remember Michael  Holding warning of the danger of overbowling him on live tv.
  • Options

They weren’t exposed to the stresses of limited overs cricket though Johnny.  I used to marvel at the fitness of Bob Willis with his run-up two thirds of the way to the boundary.  Richard Hadlee abandoned his long run up and was just as successful off a shorter run.
    Limited overs cricket has been played in county cricket for 60 years, starting with the Gillette cup which started  as 65 overs per side, when Sunday league started at 40  overs a side, teams would start a 3 day county game on a  Saturday, then could have to travel to play a different county  on a Sunday league, then travel back to play the last 2 days  of the county and those days most of the worlds top cricketers played in county cricket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The following 12 of non Blast players have been selected to play against NZ in a warm up game for the tourists starting on Thursday

County Select XI squad: Jack Blatherwick (Lancashire), Michael Burgess (Warwickshire), Ben Compton (Kent), Ben Gibbon (Worcestershire), Nick Gubbins (Hampshire), Tom Haines (Sussex), Lyndon James (Nottinghamshire), Ryan Patel (Surrey), Liam Patterson-White (Nottinghamshire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Ollie Robinson (Sussex), Dom Sibley (Warwickshire). 
  • Options
    whoever is playing the vine this weekend has had a lucky escape ! 
  • Options
    whoever is playing the vine this weekend has had a lucky escape ! 
    Compton only made 18 on his debut for them. It's a lot harder scoring runs in the KPL against decent bowling attacks (most have at least one current professionally contracted bowler - when they are all available Bexley, for example, have five bowlers who have played First Class cricket of which two are current pros) on tracks where you can't play shots with certainty. 
  • Options
    Good interview this. He talks a lot of sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZJ6y60NZqU
  • Options
    Buttler having an incredible time after dropping the red-ball burden
  • Options
    Ollie Robinson has been withdrawn from the County Select  XI side facing New Zealand after feeling stiffness in his back during the pre-match warm-up.

Becoming a recurring theme.
  • Options
    Ollie Robinson has been withdrawn from the County Select  XI side facing New Zealand after feeling stiffness in his back during the pre-match warm-up.

Becoming a recurring theme.
    Same with a lot of our pace bowlers. 
    Anderson and Broad will have to play until they are 50 at this rate. 
  • Options
    Makes it all the more impressive how they e managed to avoid going to same way for year after year.
  • Options
    Makes it all the more impressive how they e managed to avoid going to same way for year after year.
    Maybe because they got the miles in their bodies playing the county game. Made them more resilient?