Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 8 February | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• So far our wingers converted to wing backs have had some good games but rarely 2 in a row. Both CBT and DJ are learning the role but both have proved they have talent.
    Leko is probably the most inconsistent and if he doesn't know what he is going to do next, how can anyone else ? 

JJ did say he prefers the converted winger on one side and the converted full back on the other but if CBT is out injured and DJ may be struggling after his contribution on Saturday. Either Leko and Purrington as wing backs or Matthews and Purrington ( as mentioned above) who are steady players and both experienced, before hitting them on the break as Bolton love getting forward.

Could be a good game for CBT but not sure if he is fit ?

Two tough games in Lancs this week.
  • Bolton lost two nil at home to Wycombe just over three weeks ago … reckon we will do the same, Chuks and Dobson. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    I think the Aneke was substitution on Saturday was with Tuesday solely in mind. Given that, and how toothless we were after he went off, I think Aneke will start.

Fraser is the other one, but maybe again Jacko will bide his time with that and wait for the obvious moment.

Big game. As others have said, will be a good gauge of where we are at. IF we can win it, it gives us a free hit at Wigan at the weekend.
    I must have been watching a different game - I thought he we were a lot more lively when Aneke went off . 

Did Burstow touch the ball ?
    He worked hard and ran around but when you don't have Chuks or Stockley as a central striker we lose a presences. If our final ball can be similar to DJ then Burstow and Conor can be your central strikers. But then you miss Jayden or Chuks defending and attacking set pieces. As well as being the battling Centre forwards/ Number 9's.

Did no one notice it was Aneke that won the header for DJ to make that Sublime pass ?

Chuks appeared to be blowing out of his arse on Saturday 2nd half but as he proved last season, a goal every 101 minutes is a good return ever if he hasn't emulated that on his return yet.
    Imagine you are a League One defender. Now try to imagine whether you would enjoy playing against Aneke. Even when he is having a so so game, he is a threat with his physicality and that in itself opens up opportunities for others. I would say the same applies to Stockley. We need one of them in the side and we have seen how easy it is for teams to suffocate us without them.
    I have just said on another thread, I think we have won one game all season without Aneke or Stockley and that was arguably our best performance of the season. 
    Plymouth was it?
    Yup. 
  • Hats off to those going to this one - great treatment of away fans travelling from the South East to have kick off at 8pm……not !!

EFL really don’t give a shit about fans do they

I don't think 8pm vs 7:45 makes much difference  to the away fans, you can't get back by train that night anyway, and an extra 15 minutes is barely noticeable on a 4 hour drive...
    Happy to be corrected, but I am pretty sure years ago evening games for northern clubs usually kicked off at 7.30, whereas London clubs was 7.45 but maybe I am imagining it

In any event, I take your point
    I think it's a Bolton thing rather than an EFL thing. Every midweek home game of theirs (Pizza Trophy aside) has been an 8pm kick off this season.
    It's a police thing. 
  • CBT is out. 

Looks like Castillo had a good game for the U23. Nile John got outshone by both team's midfielders.
  • I'm a great fan of having goals in the team, but Dobson is exempt as that is not his role.
  • mendonca said:
    If we don't utilise John and/or Castillo, the PL clubs won't be in a rush to loan us players in the future I feel.

They will play when they are ready and there is an opening for them.
    Remember, they are there to reinforce and add depth and quality to the squad. 

Just because they are new signings, doesn't mean they are better than everybody else or must play at the first/every opportunity.
    Their time will come.

Incidentally both played for the U23s v Swansea today.
    John struggled a bit (fitness?) and Castillo played very well at times - showed good pace and athleticsm; the run and pass to feed Ghandour to strike the bar; plus a cross and assist for our 90th min equaliser.

But if Castllo played today, he's not travelled with the squad and won't be included tomorrow night.

• I wouldn't be surprised if we went with Purrington and Matthews as wing backs. DJ had a good game on Saturday but as we are away, we might try to gain a bit more defensively. We shall see.
     I think we’ve only looked any good on our travels when we’ve gone on the attack, like v. Portsmouth. Our away form has been pants all season, and I think we’d have maybe done better by not developing such a defensive infest. Couldn’t have done much worse by trying to be more positive, I reckon. 
  • Tough game. Playing them at the wrong time. Bolton 2-0 Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was watching quest earlier in the season and I noticed how attacking Bolton were, they get so many players in or around the box.

I went to the 4-1 game at the valley and for 65 minutes it was even or Charlton were on top. The last 35 minutes was a capitulation and they went for the jugular.

We fell away and Adkins had no answers.

I seem to remember in that last half hour, while we were chasing the game, Bolton kept catching us on the counter.

• edited February 2022
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/it-didnt-sit-right-charlton-boss-on-valley-loss-to-tomorrows-opponents-bolton-being-cause-for-concern/

Look at the team from that game, horrible. Watson in a two man central midfield with Lee and Davison up front. Dobson left out completely, Washington, Stockley and Gilbey all on the bench.

• Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/it-didnt-sit-right-charlton-boss-on-valley-loss-to-tomorrows-opponents-bolton-being-cause-for-concern/

Look at the team from that game, horrible. Watson in a two man central midfield with Lee and Davison up front. Dobson left out completely, Washington, Stockley and Gilbey all on the bench.

Ah yes, that little bit of the season when some fans (and Adkins) thought that Davison was good enough to lead the line rather than Stockley...
  • How Adkins managed to continue managing us after the home game against Bolton is quite unbelievable really, and I was hoping he’d turn things around, I felt a little sorry for him the stick was getting. We were woeful in that game. Hopefully we can continue the winning run. Expecting a Morgan hat trick tomorrow seeing as he’s been so good and to  put me in my place, I’m so  horrible to him!!😬, I’m only joking!!!, he’s in the Addicks kit and I’ll support him whilst he is.would love us to get 3 goals in a win though.
  • mendonca said:
    CBT is out. 

Looks like Castillo had a good game for the U23. Nile John got outshone by both team's midfielders.
    I agree. Nile John looks nowhere close to our first team
  • Hard fought draw 2-2 
  • Scoham said:

But that's not how we actually lined up though.  It was a clear 4231.  Gilbey had only just come back from Covid, that's why he was only on the bench.

I have my suspensions why Stockley was left out, that will come out one way or another, one day. 

Dobson hadn't been good and, because of our slow recruitment, he was left out too late and then brought back too late. 

Clare, Matthews and Purrington were awful IIRC. Jackson said, the today's SLP article, that we were timid.  This is the game that Matthews looked like he had never playered right back in his life. 

Even Curbs was dishing it out to Clare at half time for the first goal.  JFC, in the studio, was saying that Adkins and Jackson tell the full backs to show them outside.  I think 3 of their goals came from the wingers cutting in?

It was 3 and 4 because we tried to make it Desmond, Washington nearly did.

A confident/motivated/passionate team wouldn't have lost that they way we did, we might have still lost it but not like that. 

Dozens of things caused the result, Adkins was one, but not the only one.  We won our next game after all. 

• @Cafc43v3r

I have my suspensions why Stockley was left out, that will come out one way or another, one day. 

Care to share? Do you think he had disc/nerve issues from early in the season?
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:
    Bolton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic
    Tuesday 8 February 2022 | Kick-Off: 20:00
    Live on Charlton TV (UK included) 
    To purchase your live stream: https://charltonafcpayments.streamamg.com/account/register/step1 

Referee: Ben Toner (Lancashire) - previously officiated a Charlton match in March 2019 in our 1-1 draw away at Doncaster Rovers.

Introduction
    Three wins on the spin, a first goal for Famewo, new signings to be added to the mix, and a move up into the top half of the table, things suddenly look a lot brighter for Jackson's Addicks. When you put into context of where we were when he took over, an impressive 30 points have been accumulated in 16 league games - it begs the question that if the sacking of Adkins had come earlier, where we would be? Maybe no better off, but results do suggest otherwise. Arguably, he could and probably should have gone after the reverse fixture of our next opponents, Bolton Wanderers.

Opposition
    Manager: Ian Evatt (43.9% win rate) | Stadium: University of Bolton Stadium
    League Position: 10th | Nickname(s): The Trotters, The Wanderers
    League Form: LWWWWD

Bolton Wanderers travelled to Morecambe in their last league fixture, drawing 1-1. Their line up was:

Trafford
    Aimson | Santos | Johnston
    Fossey | Williams | Morley | John
    Lee
    Charles | Afolayan

Bolton's draw away at Morecambe was not without drama and huge talking points. Captain Santos was sent off for handball, handing Morecambe a penalty that was consequently saved. Stockton, who took the penalty, scored moments later though but the Bolton fans threw objects at Morecambe players and the trouble spilled elsewhere. It got so bad that the referee stopped play and brought everyone in for 10 minutes. However, it unfortunately got worse. Substitute Bakayoko was on the receiving end of racist abuse from so called Morecambe 'fans' but thankfully, he got the last laugh by scoring a dramatic equaliser in the 90+14 minute.   

On other matters, the Trotters used the January window to really strengthen with 7 signings altogether, some going in what is a notoriously difficult window. The options they have at their disposal now is far stronger in depth than they had before. Charles signed from Accrington Stanley, Bödvarsson from Millwall, Sadlier from Rotherham, Dempsey from Gillingham, Morely from Rochdale, Fossey from Fulham on loan, and Trafford from Man City on loan. It makes it difficult to know how Bolton will fare as although their form has been very strong including that amazing 6-0 victory against Sunderland, it's almost a new team mid-way through the season. But make no mistake, even as new players still get to know each other, they are unbeaten at home since the middle of October and have only lost to the top 2 at home this season. Getting 3 points back to SE7 is gong to be a challenge.

Charlton Team News
    With fixtures coming fast, we are now surely going to see a few changes to the side. Blackett-Taylor was brilliant against Portsmouth but unfortunately felt his hamstring early on against AFC Wimbledon, it's highly likely that he won't travel to the north west on this occasion but we can hope that he will be available to do the same trip just a few days later against Wigan. Jaiyesimi came on for him though and played out of his skin. The assist for Washington's goal was as good as you'll see this season.

Question marks remain as to whether Inniss can play games in such quick succession and being without the man mountain will be a huge loss as we have seen his attributes in both boxes recently. If Lavelle was match fit, I would prefer him to come in for Pearce as he's stronger in the air and Pearce had a torrid time against Charles last season, we aren't going to want a repeat of that. Up top you would assume that Aneke will drop to the bench ready to come back in on Saturday. If so, Burstow will start alongside Washington. Elsewhere, Fraser will be looking to make his first start since joining on deadline day. Who the creative midfielder comes in for though is a tough call.

Subs: Henderson, Inniss, Purrington, Fraser, Lee, Leko, Aneke

Prediction
    A really tough game even after 3 wins on the spin. Confidence though will be high going into a game where the league positions are only separated by Bolton scoring 3 more goals than us this season. What's incredible is they have scored more than 2 in a game on 6 occasions, we have managed that only twice. The difference is we regularly score goals, just not many of them. The unbeaten run is set to continue on Tuesday, making it 5 as we cement our place in mid table... this is though, a fixture that I anticipate will be of two teams who make up the top 6 next season.

Bolton Wanderers 1-1 Charlton Athletic
    Washington
    Great preview as always Sage. This is the way I've had my Charlton side set up on FIFA when playing this match the last couple days (I'm a weirdo who likes to play matches the same time Charlton play them). I totally agree with you about Lavelle and utilizing his mobility (compared to Pearce's) against that front 2/3 of Bolton. But as you said, I can't see anyone but Pearce coming in to the side. 

As things stand, I believe Santos is suspended due to his red on Saturday. Bolton are appealing, so he might be allowed to play while the appeal is in progress, not entirely sure on that one. 

I also think Bolton will go with a front three of Bakayoko, Afolayan, and Charles to try and create overloads against our wingbacks on the flanks. If they don't, I could also see Dempsey coming into the side for either one of the holding midfielders or Lee (who could also move deeper). 

It's a solid Bolton side, as you said, January was a really strong window for them. Weird to think they're a prompted team. I could see us grabbing a draw, which, in isolation would be a good result. Don't know that we'll have enough to win it, but we'll see. Hoping it's at least a good League One game. And having said that, watch it be utter dross. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

But that's not how we actually lined up though.  It was a clear 4231.  Gilbey had only just come back from Covid, that's why he was only on the bench.

Dobson hadn't been good and, because of our slow recruitment, he was left out too late and then brought back too late. 

Clare, Matthews and Purrington were awful IIRC. Jackson said, the today's SLP article, that we were timid.  This is the game that Matthews looked like he had never playered right back in his life. 

Even Curbs was dishing it out to Clare at half time for the first goal.  JFC, in the studio, was saying that Adkins and Jackson tell the full backs to show them outside.  I think 3 of their goals came from the wingers cutting in?

It was 3 and 4 because we tried to make it Desmond, Washington nearly did.

A confident/motivated/passionate team wouldn't have lost that they way we did, we might have still lost it but not like that. 

Dozens of things caused the result, Adkins was one, but not the only one.  We won our next game after all. 

Dropping Lee back and pushing the wingers up doesn’t make it any better.

There were some reasons for that team
    being picked but it’s still not a good selection or a formation that worked for us this season (despite working well for other clubs at this level).

Dobson hadn’t shown the form he has under JJ but he was dropped too quickly and it was far too long before he got another chance.

I’d be surprised if the players didn’t want Adkins gone by that game. They clearly didn’t believe in him and his formations and tactics.
  • Bolton is one of them grounds that we have been truly awful at … so not expecting to much on Tuesday …..just not our lucky ground …. Can we switch the game to Portsmouth …

• Sort of game we tend to sneak when we know it will be tough, i am going to go against the grain and hope i am wrong 2-1 Bolton
  • I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this week will kill off any lingering play off thoughts...
  • Is this the world beating Bolton who have 39 points from 29 games and are plus 4 goal difference - exactly the same as us? Surely this game is winnable.
  • Could have done with this being a 745 kick off! Trains back to Manchester are at 1015 and 1115 from Horwich Parkway so might just miss the 1015 now