Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Updated squad list - 6 February 2022

edited February 2022 in General Charlton
First Team
Goalkeepers
Stephen Henderson 2022 (assumed)
Craig MacGillivray 2023
Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2023 (season loan to Ross County in the Scottish Premier)

Right Backs
Chris Gunter 2022 (+1 year option)
Adam Matthews 2022

Centre Backs
Deji Elerewe 2024
Akin Famewo 2022 (season loan from Norwich City with option to buy)
Ryan Inniss 2022 (+1 year option)
Sam Lavelle 2024
Jason Pearce 2022 (with opportunity to move into coaching role)

Left Backs
Juan Castillo 2022 (half season loan from Chelsea)
Ben Purrington 2022
Pape Souaré 2022

Defensive Midfielders
George Dobson 2023
Ben Watson 2022

Central Midfielders
Sean Clare 2023
Jake Forster-Caskey 2022 (+1 year option)
Scott Fraser 2025
Alex Gilbey 2023
Nile John 2022 (half season loan from Tottenham Hotspur)
Elliot Lee 2022 (season loan from Luton Town)
Albie Morgan 2023

Wide Midfielders/Attackers
Corey Blackett-Taylor 2023
Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024
Charlie Kirk 2025 (half season loan to Blackpool with option to buy)
Jonathan Leko 2022 (season loan from Birmingham City)

Strikers
Chuks Aneke 2025
Mason Burstow (half season loan from Chelsea)
Josh Davison 2022 (+1 year option) (half season loan to Swindon Town)
Jayden Stockley 2024
Conor Washington 2022

U23 Development Squad
Goalkeepers
Nathan Harness Unknown (month loan to Dulwich Hamlet in the National League South)
Nathan Harvey Unknown

Right Backs
Centre Backs
Nazir Bakrin Unknown (month loan to Cray Wanderers in the Isthmian League Premier)
Charlie Barker 2023
Billy French 2022
Lucas Ness 2022
Harris O'Connor Unknown

Left Backs
Samuel Oguntayo Unknown
Jacob Roddy Unknown

Midfielders
Terrell Agyemang Unknown
Karoy Anderson 2024
Jimmy Appiah Unknown
Tyreece Campbell Unknown
Richard Chin Unknown
Charles Clayden Unknown
Ben Dempsey Unknown (half season loan to Ayr United in the Scottish Championship)
Ralfi Hand 2023 (youth contract not pro?)
Aaron Henry 2023 (month loan to Wealdstone in the National League)
Ryan Huke 2024
Jeremy Santos Unknown
Johl Powell Unknown
James Vennings Unknown
Euan Williams Unknown

Strikers
Wassim Aouacheria 2022
Dylan Gavin Unknown (month loan to Billericay Town in the National League South)
Hady Ghandour 2022
Daniel Kanu 2024
Ryan Viggars 2023

Comments

• Options
    I know we’ve had 3 wins on the spin, but I’m still unsure as to how many to keep on next year if we want to go up 
  • Options
    Hope it isnt Gunter that has the option to take the extra year
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I know we’ve had 3 wins on the spin, but I’m still unsure as to how many to keep on next year if we want to go up 
    The other way of looking at it is how many of them is it feasible to replace with better.  It wouldn't have made much difference if we had "jogged on" Watson, Gunter and Matthews last summer if we replaced them with the likes of Arter, Kirk and Souare.

I don't like the idea of buying back ups.  I would rather get 3 or 4 "1st choices" and keep the current ones (Washington, Matthews, Purrington etc) as the backups.

I don't trust us to get even 10 out of 14 right, if we let everyone go. I don't even think it's realistic to try. 
  • Options
    Hope it isnt Gunter that has the option to take the extra year
    I expect it’ll be based on appearances. Only 18 so far this season so unlikely to be enough. Hopefully he’ll continue to be left out the squad so there’s no risk of it being activated.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    The other way of looking at it is how many of them is it feasible to replace with better.  It wouldn't have made much difference if we had "jogged on" Watson, Gunter and Matthews last summer if we replaced them with the likes of Arter, Kirk and Souare.

I don't like the idea of buying back ups.  I would rather get 3 or 4 "1st choices" and keep the current ones (Washington, Matthews, Purrington etc) as the backups.

I don't trust us to get even 10 out of 14 right, if we let everyone go. I don't even think it's realistic to try. 
    Agree to an extent, but I still have worries about a few of our long term contracted players doing the business.  It won’t be a popular opinion but someone like Gilbey I see as a back up in the same way you reference Purrington etc.  Probably DJ as well

I think we need that bit more quality to get out the league.  

Definitely time for Watson, Souare, Gunter to go.  Pearce is a tricky one.  He’s probably still young enough to want to play more, but if we keep him as a player coach, that’s one of the CB spots gone.  Do we want/need better as cover.  I have no issue with him coaching and being part of Jackson’s staff, but I can’t imagine he’ll just want a coaching role!

Matthews, depending on if we pursue this formation is a difficult one.  He played well against Pompey, I didn’t see yesterday, but will be part of a promotion winning team?  It’s very hard to know what to do with him.

If Inniss can stay fit I imagine he’ll get another deal, I think that would be a good decision.  Unsure about Famewo.  

I don’t think Lee will get a deal now we have Fraser, and Morgan has sort of come back into the frame.  

I like Washington.  I think he works very hard and is okay at this level.  I would like him to get another deal, but like you, I think we need better.  

If we get a on a run now, and finish nearer the top 6, I worry it will be a repeat of last season where there’s an assumption we don’t need much more.  

It’s hard to predict how recruitment will go as well.  We ballsed it up with the likes of Arter and Souare at the last minute.  But Dobson and Clare have proved to be great signings.  
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:

Agree to an extent, but I still have worries about a few of our long term contracted players doing the business.  It won’t be a popular opinion but someone like Gilbey I see as a back up in the same way you reference Purrington etc.  Probably DJ as well

I think we need that bit more quality to get out the league.  

Definitely time for Watson, Souare, Gunter to go.  Pearce is a tricky one.  He’s probably still young enough to want to play more, but if we keep him as a player coach, that’s one of the CB spots gone.  Do we want/need better as cover.  I have no issue with him coaching and being part of Jackson’s staff, but I can’t imagine he’ll just want a coaching role!

Matthews, depending on if we pursue this formation is a difficult one.  He played well against Pompey, I didn’t see yesterday, but will be part of a promotion winning team?  It’s very hard to know what to do with him.

If Inniss can stay fit I imagine he’ll get another deal, I think that would be a good decision.  Unsure about Famewo.  

I don’t think Lee will get a deal now we have Fraser, and Morgan has sort of come back into the frame.  

I like Washington.  I think he works very hard and is okay at this level.  I would like him to get another deal, but like you, I think we need better.  

If we get a on a run now, and finish nearer the top 6, I worry it will be a repeat of last season where there’s an assumption we don’t need much more.  

It’s hard to predict how recruitment will go as well.  We ballsed it up with the likes of Arter and Souare at the last minute.  But Dobson and Clare have proved to be great signings.  
    Last season we had 13, I think, players either out of contract or on loan.  So it's about the same as last year.  I know it's not Oranges and Oranges but we only really upgraded 3 or 4 of them.  The rest were either literally themselves or worse.

Amos - MacGillivray =
    Matthews - Matthews =
    Pearce - Pearce =
    Oshilaja - Lavelle +
    Pratley - Dobson +
    Maatsen - Souare -
    Millar - Kirk -
    Aneke - Leko -
    Shinnie - Lee +?
    Famewo - Famewo =
    Stockley - Stockley -
    Smith - Clare +
    Ronnie - No one +
    JFC - Arter -

Then add CBT, it isn't the players we resigned that are/were the problem are they? 

Failer to replace Aneke, Millar, Maatsen and JFC with suitable replacements is the main reason we are worse than last season.  A lot of that has been addressed in the winter window.  I would say our squad is overall about the same now as it was last April, although more of them are on longer contracts. 
  • Options
    It’s all theoretical of course, but is my maths correct in that if JJ had been in charge since the beginning of this season and we had his current points per game average (1.8), then we would currently have 54 points enough to have us joint 4th?
  • Options
    It’s all theoretical of course, but is my maths correct in that if JJ had been in charge since the beginning of this season and we had his current points per game average (1.8), then we would currently have 54 points enough to have us joint 4th?
    Yes but....... 

Would we have got 10 from the last 12 without Aneke as an example?

If we had had the squad, manager etc etc we have now and everything else was equal we would probably have more than 54 points.  We didn't.  The fact that half of that was deliberately done is the most frustrating bit. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Yes but....... 

Would we have got 10 from the last 12 without Aneke as an example?

If we had had the squad, manager etc etc we have now and everything else was equal we would probably have more than 54 points.  We didn't.  The fact that half of that was deliberately done is the most frustrating bit. 
    Indeed, as mentioned it’s entirely theoretical and also pretty impossible to quantify. However I will counter with the fact we won 9 in 13 under Jackson, and without Aneke (granted that was when Stockley was fit).

We clearly went through a poor period of games under Jackson, whether that was our payers reverting to the mean, something tactical, or just a natural thing that will happen - we will find out by the end of the season. 

Either way I am inclined to believe it when Sandgaard/Gallen say we have a spine of team  that can get us promoted*.

*this will all change for me when we play poorly and lose the next 4 games. 
  • Options
    Interesting that of the six loans only one (Famewo) started, two (Lee and Burstow) were on the bench while three (Leko, John and Castillo) didn't make the squad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting that of the six loans only one (Famewo) started, two (Lee and Burstow) were on the bench while three (Leko, John and Castillo) didn't make the squad. 
    I think Leko failed a fitness test before the game. 
  • Options
    I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting to see Castillo in the league team…
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    Who has signed someone behind the managers back/done a mate a favour/taken a back hander this time? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who has signed someone behind the managers back/done a mate a favour/taken a back hander this time? 
    Maybe he’s part of the Burstow (undisclosed) deal 🤷‍♂️.
  • Options
    Why?
  • Options
    In my opinion we should get Washington and Purrington signed up on new deals as soon as possible, not worried about losing any of the others, including Famewo. Aneke's deal is ridiculous, thought so at the time. I like Chuks, more so as an impact sub, but I don't get why he was given that sort of deal at all. How much of that time is he even going to be fit? If Forster-Caskey recovers his fitness, I think he is worth another year. A very good player when he is fit.
  • Options

Looking at that list, we will have a much stronger squad next season even if we don't sign anyone. 
  • Options
    Goalkeepers
    Craig MacGillivray 2023  
    Ashley Maynard-Brewer 2023

Right Backs  
    (NEW)
    (NEW)

Centre Backs  
    Deji Elerewe 2024  
    Akin Famewo 2022 
    Ryan Inniss 2022 
    Sam Lavelle 2024  
    Sean Clare 2023
    (NEW)

Left Backs  
    (NEW)
    (NEW)

Defensive Midfielders  
    George Dobson 2023  
    (NEW)

Central Midfielders  
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2022
    Scott Fraser 2025  
    Alex Gilbey 2023  
    Albie Morgan 2023

Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024  
    (NEW)

Strikers  
    Chuks Aneke 2025  
    Jayden Stockley 2024  
    Conor Washington 2022
    (NEW)

That’s how I’d like to see the 25 for next season, 8 new players, massive emphasis on the wing backs if we’re to stick with the formation JJ likes.  
  • Options
    Goalkeepers
    Craig MacGillivray 2023  

Right Backs  
    (NEW)
    (NEW)

Centre Backs  
    Deji Elerewe 2024  
    Akin Famewo 2022 
    Ryan Inniss 2022 
    Sam Lavelle 2024  
    Sean Clare 2023
    (NEW)

Left Backs  
    (NEW)
    (NEW)

Defensive Midfielders  
    George Dobson 2023  
    (NEW)

Central Midfielders  
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2022
    Scott Fraser 2025  
    Alex Gilbey 2023  
    Albie Morgan 2023

Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024  
    (NEW)

Strikers  
    Chuks Aneke 2025  
    Jayden Stockley 2024  
    Conor Washington 2022
    (NEW)

That’s how I’d like to see the 25 for next season, 8 new players, massive emphasis on the wing backs if we’re to stick with the formation JJ likes.  
    I like this.  I'd consider loaning AMB out again and signing someone else to give genuine competition to Craig Mac. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Believe the squad cap is even smaller next season and Morgan will be old enough to be counted.

Due to that I’m not convinced we should keep Inniss, Aneke can be rotated and still be a threat, but CBs need to be able to regularly play 90 minutes.

I wouldn’t sign Famewo permanently, we need someone more comfortable on the ball. A left sided Clare.

I’d be tempted to have 5 strikers rather than 6 CBs. One a pacey first choice ahead of Washington and one physically more all round to compete for either spot.

I wouldn’t say we need four new wing backs with DJ and CBT in the squad, would focus on getting quality over quantity.

I’d like a new first choice alongside Fraser with the others becoming squad players. Shouldn’t rely on JFC being that player.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Goalkeepers
    Craig MacGillivray 2023  

Right Backs  
    (NEW)
    (NEW)

Centre Backs  
    Deji Elerewe 2024  
    Akin Famewo 2022 
    Ryan Inniss 2022 
    Sam Lavelle 2024  
    Sean Clare 2023
    (NEW)

Left Backs  
    (NEW)
    (NEW)

Defensive Midfielders  
    George Dobson 2023  
    (NEW)

Central Midfielders  
    Jake Forster-Caskey 2022
    Scott Fraser 2025  
    Alex Gilbey 2023  
    Albie Morgan 2023

Diallang Jaiyesimi 2024  
    (NEW)

Strikers  
    Chuks Aneke 2025  
    Jayden Stockley 2024  
    Conor Washington 2022
    (NEW)

I like this.  I'd consider loaning AMB out again and signing someone else to give genuine competition to Craig Mac. 
    He’s 23 in a few months and had what I presume to be a whole season playing on loan, I think it’s perhaps his time to challenge MacG next season personally.  He must be better than Henderson that’s for sure!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Believe the squad cap is even smaller next season and Morgan will be old enough to be counted.

Due to that I’m not convinced we should keep Inniss, Aneke can be rotated and still be a threat, but CBs need to be able to regularly play 90 minutes.

I wouldn’t sign Famewo permanently, we need someone more comfortable on the ball. A left sided Clare.

I’d be tempted to have 5 strikers rather than 6 CBs. One a pacey first choice ahead of Washington and one physically more all round to compete for either spot.

I wouldn’t say we need four new wing backs with DJ and CBT in the squad, would focus on getting quality over quantity.

I’d like a new first choice alongside Fraser with the others becoming squad players. Shouldn’t rely on JFC being that player.
    What will the cap be, 22?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Its a shame about Inniss as he is such a presence in both boxes and can play, but tend to agree teams who get promoted have a consistent reliable defence and rarely chop and change.

I be looking for a more ball playing centre half to go with Lavelle, Lavelle is a bit similar to Inniss and still a aerial threat. 

A fast striker is definitely needed and need to keep Washington couple of quality wing backs someone similar to dasilva would be ideal. 

Another top centre mid would be a priority. If we want to control games and dominate possession. 
  • Options
    Wait what?
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Maybe he’s part of the Burstow (undisclosed) deal 🤷‍♂️.
    Why would we accept him as part of the deal if it’s just a loan and we have no intention of playing him? That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.
  • Options
    Just stirring... Hate these vague comments. 
  • Options
    It's important that we recruit for the formation we predominantly are going to play. Which may be the current 352 or something different.

It's unfortunate to have spent the summer recruiting for 433/4231 and adopting it throughout the club, only to dump it after a couple of months when Adkins went.
  • Options
    It's important that we recruit for the formation we predominantly are going to play. Which may be the current 352 or something different.

It's unfortunate to have spent the summer recruiting for 433/4231 and adopting it throughout the club, only to dump it after a couple of months when Adkins went.
    Exactly and this is why the right and left wing back recruiting is vital, i don’t think we have one natural wing back in the side currently, you’ll find we’ll look a lot more balanced team once they sort this out.
  • Options

Even giving them the benifit of the doubt we didn't get that right either.