Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can it be?

GOOD NEWS

You've won a prize on The National Lottery

You've won a prize playing one of our draw games on Friday 4 Feb 2022. Sign into your account to find out more.

National Lottery Customer Care Team

SIGN IN

The National Lottery

THANKS TO THE PLAYERS

Of course not.

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:

GOOD NEWS

You've won a prize playing one of our draw games on Friday 4 Feb 2022. Sign into your account to find out more.

SIGN IN

The National Lottery

THANKS TO THE PLAYERS

Of course not.
    Better start a new takeover thread!
  • Options
    Well Iain…….we’re all waiting?
  • Options
    I think " of course not" at the bottom is very telling.

Than again £50 is not all that bad. Pays for a takeaway & a beer after the match. 
  • Options
    ... that it was all so simple then?  Or has Time re-written every line?

Gladys Knight & The Pips – The Way We Were / Try to Remember Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
  • Options
    I quite often get those emails following euromillions draw.
    Only ever win £2.80 or £3.20 though.
    Didn't even know they had prizes that low until the first time I won.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I think " of course not" at the bottom is very telling.

Than again £50 is not all that bad. Pays for a takeaway & a beer after the match. 
    It was £7.10
    You could boost our crowd today by 7 and still have change…
  • Options
  • Options
    iainment said:

GOOD NEWS

SIGN IN

The National Lottery

THANKS TO THE PLAYERS

Of course not.

Really worth a new thread. Thanks for that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

GOOD NEWS

SIGN IN

The National Lottery

THANKS TO THE PLAYERS

Of course not.

Really worth a new thread. Thanks for that. 
    You’re welcome.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I prefer to buy my tickets anonymously in the shop. I always leave mine for a few days before checking them, it keeps the dreams of winning alive a little bit longer before the deadweight of probability steamrollers them to a pulp. When I buy I ticket on account, I know the dream is dead before I've had the fun of checking because they haven't emailed me. 
    Agreed. All the while you have not checked you could be rich... Schrodingers Millionaire. 
    Ah, but according to Schrödinger's Cat theory, if you observe an event then as a consequence two alternate realities occur. So you'd have to watch the lottery draw to have a chance of winning in an alternate world.

It's been heavily criticised that theory, and the Many Worlds Interpretation holds all the weight in the scientific world.

If you want to read a real 'can it be', here's an excerpt from my ongoing novel based on, but extending, the Many Worlds Interpretation:
    https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/wv2gck/

• Options
    If it makes you feel better, I logged in to my banking app the other day to see I won £1000 on the monthly mortgage drawer from Halifax.

Gutted I was because the other prize was to pay off the mortgage.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I prefer to buy my tickets anonymously in the shop. I always leave mine for a few days before checking them, it keeps the dreams of winning alive a little bit longer before the deadweight of probability steamrollers them to a pulp. When I buy I ticket on account, I know the dream is dead before I've had the fun of checking because they haven't emailed me. 
    Agreed. All the while you have not checked you could be rich... Schrodingers Millionaire. 
    Ah, but according to Schrödinger's Cat theory, if you observe an event then as a consequence two alternate realities occur. So you'd have to watch the lottery draw to have a chance of winning in an alternate world.

It's been heavily criticised that theory, and the Many Worlds Interpretation holds all the weight in the scientific world.

If you want to read a real 'can it be', here's an excerpt from my ongoing novel based on, but extending, the Many Worlds Interpretation:
    https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/wv2gck/
    Don't think so. There are two potential states for the cat, alive and dead*, and observation collapses it into one state or the other. So as long as someone's watching the draw, he's got a chance of winning :)
    * Or according to Terry Pratchett it's 3; alive, dead and bloody furious
  • Options
    My turn today 
  • Options
    Yes, you're right, it just someone observing, not necessarily he himself. I explained it badly, possibly because, as I say, I'm a Many Worlds believer / théoriser.

There are believers other theories too, like QBism. Here's a good, but confusing, read: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scientificamerican.com/article/this-twist-on-schroedingers-cat-paradox-has-major-implications-for-quantum-theory/?amp=true
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I very rarely read my email or lottery account at weekends so I save my disappointment for Monday mornings when I get into work and fire up the PC. The anticipation of finding out I may or may be not be filthy rich makes going to work a little easier. This morning I had the good news I was £5 and a lucky dip better off than yesterday, although I did spend £10 on tickets to get that £5 back.