Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Fraser - pg 29 - Joins Hearts on loan for rest of season

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Hard to judge him today due to how poor we were overall. Though he didn’t get stuck in to the extent that Lee did. 

Let’s see what he does in a game when we are in control. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Kirk struggled in this team because he needs a lot of the ball, and as a team we don't keep the ball. I hope Fraser doesn't suffer the same fate. 
  • Options
    I thought he looked quite good on the ball today, but was obviously ring-rusty. It didn't look like his awareness and anticipation were as good as they might be. Hoping this improves when he gets a game or two under his belt.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Kirk struggled in this team because he needs a lot of the ball, and as a team we don't keep the ball. I hope Fraser doesn't suffer the same fate. 
    The fact he’s more central than Kirk played, you’d hope he’s more involved. He’ll go looking for the ball more.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    I think he’ll be a decent player.  I appreciate we’ve hardly seen much of him, but he looks comfortable with the ball.  The one or two touches for me today, plus seeing come on and get an assist at Bolton, makes me think we’ve got an upgrade on Gilbey and Lee
  • Options
    General opinion on his performance today? Clearly not match fit, but thought he showed some nice touches in the final third. Could see moment of quality but overall had a quiet day.
    Thats pretty much my assessment too. He hadn't played much prior to joining us let alone covid so today was just about getting some game time. Hopefully he'll find his touch and fitness in the coming weeks and start firing properly. His pass to slip Burstow in first half shows he has class.
  • Options
    he will he will never shine in this team when we don’t get the ball down n play with it, we bypass the midfield with our defence constantly going long when they get the ball.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:
    he will he will never shine in this team when we don’t get the ball down n play with it, we bypass the midfield with our defence constantly going long when they get the ball.
    Whether it was Llera, Morrison, Sarr, Pearce, Famewo etc we've been unsuccessfully punting it forward for years now. 

I don't get why, as other than when we had Yann and Lyle it's never been particularly successful. 
  • Options
    Better than Lee , but not that impressed yesterday .  I am not judging him on that display - I am sure he will her better .  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Signs of the player we were hoping for. Certainly not there yet but not 100% fit and playing in a team struggling for form/confidence which is not ideal.

I am optimistic he's going to work out in the medium/long term. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Davo55 said:
    Even though he was seriously unfit, he showed more authority, composure and quality than most. He'll be a very good signing for us.
    That probably what impressed me the most. Obviously can’t hear what he was saying but his body language was much more demanding from team mates. Definitely wasn’t hiding out there and seems to be someone who demands the ball which is a huge bonus.

Be interesting to see whether a midfield 3 of Dobson, Fraser and JFC would work.
  • Options
    Certainly a lot taller than I was expecting, looking a bit rusty as others have said, hope he will be a good addition, a good article on him in the match programme.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Even though he was seriously unfit, he showed more authority, composure and quality than most. He'll be a very good signing for us.
    That probably what impressed me the most. Obviously can’t hear what he was saying but his body language was much more demanding from team mates. Definitely wasn’t hiding out there and seems to be someone who demands the ball which is a huge bonus.

Be interesting to see whether a midfield 3 of Dobson, Fraser and JFC would work.
    This. The look he gave to Jackson in the first half when he was in acres of space following their corner and McG didn't throw it to him. A case of being too intelligent for his team mates. 
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

While we are waiting for JFC it would be interesting to see what a Dobson, Fraser and Clair would do.
    In theory with Dobson and Clair being able to defend it could release Fraser to push up further. 
    I also think having two defensive midfielders would allow Jay to attack more and get some crosses in for Stockley. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Oh, and I think players like Washington will absolutely love playing with him. He’ll spot the runs he makes more than any other player we have, bar potentially Forster-Caskey.
    He will definitely need the right kind of players around him to function at his best. The likes of Washington and possibly CBT making runs to pick out will be much appreciated compared to the style of Stockley or Aneke, though both have other strengths. 
  • Options
    I guess to get a high number of assists, you need players who can finish on a consistent basis. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He reminds me of a more dynamic Andrew Shinnie, especially in possession. One of those players who seem to have more time on the ball than others.

I'm not holding my breath, as not sure I can see a pathway for our football style to change under the current coaching team, but if we used him effectively I think we could play some very nice stuff. 
  • Options
    Reminds a little of Andy Reid, wand of a left foot.
  • Options
    Seemed to drift out left a bit too much which meant he didn't get quite as much of the ball as I'd like, but his passing was the most effective of the whole team, the main difference being his were going forwards, between the press, opening up space. He has to be given a run in this team till the end of the season and I think we'll reap the rewards next year. That cross to Gilbey was a peach from that angle... once Stockley learns those are coming it could be great. Incidentally, would love to see Stockley hovering around the penalty spot rather than 6 yard box when crosses come in so he could attack them more when they come in. 
  • Options
    He reminds me of a more dynamic Andrew Shinnie, especially in possession. One of those players who seem to have more time on the ball than others.

I'm not holding my breath, as not sure I can see a pathway for our football style to change under the current coaching team, but if we used him effectively I think we could play some very nice stuff. 
    That’s where we need to get recruitment right - more players with ability and composure on the ball.
  • Options

Think having CBT on the left will improve his performances. Gillingham decided to double up on CBT leaving Fraser with loads of space to operate in.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

That’s where we need to get recruitment right - more players with ability and composure on the ball.
    Yes, when Fraser went off we started to look a lot more erratic on the ball, we lost our composure. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

The problem is, and I’m not saying we won’t do well at all, but even if we get better technical players in - I just can’t see us ever playing ‘good football’.

I think we can be, and have indeed been in fits and starts, effective. On occasions we can press well, break down play well, and break quickly and effectively. Which ultimately, if you win, is all that matters.

And sometimes (Portsmouth 1st half, Rotherham 2nd half) it’s very exciting to watch.

Just even with more technical players, at the moment, I can’t see us reverting to a possession based style, or turning into a team that looks to play inbetween the lines and is comfortable building attacks from the back and not just when we turn over play in the middle of the park. 
  • Options
    Fraserburgh looks unfit and slow 
    But when Lee replaced him we lost cohesion 
    Because he gave the ball away to frequently.
    His one positive was his headless energy.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Scoham said:

The problem is, and I’m not saying we won’t do well at all, but even if we get better technical players in - I just can’t see us ever playing ‘good football’.

I think we can be, and have indeed been in fits and starts, effective. On occasions we can press well, break down play well, and break quickly and effectively. Which ultimately, if you win, is all that matters.

And sometimes (Portsmouth 1st half, Rotherham 2nd half) it’s very exciting to watch.

Just even with more technical players, at the moment, I can’t see us reverting to a possession based style, or turning into a team that looks to play inbetween the lines and is comfortable building attacks from the back and not just when we turn over play in the middle of the park. 
    Have to agree. In many ways we're still playing Bowyer ball. It's a low chance creation brand of football that doesn't play through the lines.