Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Real Bedford FC - Bitcoin ran football club

2»

Comments

• Options
    Craig Wright is a ****

He's suing people who say that he's not satoshi nakamoto. He was one of the cypherpunks who posted on the same message board as satoshi and was one of the first bitcoin holders. Nobody can prove that he isn't (because nobody knows who he is). It obviously isn't good to not pay, but let's be clear on what the case is concerning. 
  • Options
    Club is posting accounts each month to be transparent https://www.realbedford.com/income-report-january22

It’s nice to see a decent amount already going to grassroots football in the area
  • Options
    Buying the league is going pretty well for them at the moment (this is the 10th tier mind you)
  • Options
    edited April 15
    On the verge of back to back promotions to the 8th tier and a ridiculous investment into a 9th tier club. 1031 home fans at their last game which is very respectable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv27e9qn4qno
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    The dumb names they give to non-league clubs that get bought by rich foreigners, "Real Bedford" WTF? 

What's next Locomotiv Worksop? Sporting Club de Biggleswade?
    The club is actually majority owned by someone from Bedford, rather than a rich foreigner, but the name is awful. Think the idea is to make it appeal to a wider audience like Inter Miami, but it's not a great look.
  • Options

Club owner had to explain football to billionaires

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce43l3n449vo
  • Options
    So will they be in the same division as Bedford Town next season?
  • Options
    Tbf if they are getting 1,000+ crowds at that level then there’s clearly a base to build upon 
  • Options
    Heard this 'non-league club with grand ambitions to get to the football league' story a hundred times. Rushden, Hornchurch, Billericay, Fylde, Darlington etc.

It rarely works because either the owner gets bored or they realise they'll never have the fanbase to compete once they get to a certain level. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 16
    se9addick said:
    So will they be in the same division as Bedford Town next season?
    They're currently top of the Southern League: Division One

I imagine it'll all end in tears, it usually does for a Non-League team that gets a sudden windfall

But notice the Crypto guys are the Winklevoss Twins, who apart from having a funny Surname, are the guys who successfully sued Mark Zuckerberg over Facebook in 2004 (which turned into the film: The Social Network).

Maybe it will work out, so long as those two don't get bored, they've been around money / business for long enough... Rather than it being some random bloke, who thought he'd try crypto and happened to get lucky.
  • Options
    Can remember us playing Bedford Town in a pre-season friendly at Bedford. Parky was in charge and there was a cake stand a few yards from one of the goals. 

?
  • Options
    Heard this 'non-league club with grand ambitions to get to the football league' story a hundred times. Rushden, Hornchurch, Billericay, Fylde, Darlington etc.

It rarely works because either the owner gets bored or they realise they'll never have the fanbase to compete once they get to a certain level. 
    A friend of mine who once played @ Bournemouth ended up going to Rushden whilst in the conference and with them when they got promoted to the football league. He was getting paid an obscene amount of money for that level.

Started well but the setup in the club was all wrong and it quickly turned to shit.
  • Options

Well it has worked once or twice, possibly Fleetwood Town is the best example? But yeah, how many more have fallen by the wayside once the sugar daddy gets bored or runs out of money. 
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

A friend of mine who once played @ Bournemouth ended up going to Rushden whilst in the conference and with them when they got promoted to the football league. He was getting paid an obscene amount of money for that level.

Started well but the setup in the club was all wrong and it quickly turned to shit.
    Yeah back in the day they used to spend ridiculous sums. As a kid i remember they were always a great lower league side to play as on Championship Manager.

I think in real life they made it as far as league one but fell back down the leagues almost as quickly as they got there.
  • Options
    edited April 16

I'm not saying it's going to work this time but I'd recommend listening to a podcast with the owner, especially the price of football ones. The main owner of the club is a football fan from Bedford with money so it's not just a case of a randomer coming in and splashing the cash (I appreciate some of the examples listed are similar). He's secured £3m odd from these Billionaires in the 9th tier of English football. If they can go up again, I'd assume there's the chance of more investment from them. 

It's in a town of nearly 200,000 people so can sustain a football league club, and as mentioned they had 1000 fans at their last home game. 
    Now obviously for every Forest Green, there's even more Billericays. 
    The true challenge will come when they get stuck in a division, whether that be in the 8th tier or 6th tier as interest will start to wane.

For now, they've invested heavily in youth football and women's football (getting promoted so will be a tier above Luton women, Bedfordshire's biggest club). This investment will also go towards building more training facilities for youth in the area.