Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Highs, Lows and our support

edited October 2006 in General Charlton
I was down after Fulham (just getting over it now). That got me thinking as to which Charlton games I have left the ground feeling totally gutted and it has taken me days/weeks to recover. In no particular order:

1. Both play-off semi-finals in the 90's against Palace.
2. The home defeat to Sheff Weds in 99 that sent us down the first time from the Prem
3. the Full Members Cup Final against Blackburn
4. Any defeat to Millwall
5. Middlesboro away in the Cup last year

I then started to think about the highs. There are a lot and I have excluded the Play-Off Final

1.First game back at the Valley against Pompey
2. Villa away in 99 when it looked for a week that we might stay up
3. Port Vale away in 98 when we won 1-0 and we all started believing it may be our year
4. Palace away in 2000
5.Millwall in the snow
6.Lennie's promition year in the 80's and the draw with Millwall at home
7. A 1-0 home win against QPR in the first year up in the old Div 1 with Bobby Blunder saving a penalty
8. St Andrews and Leeds in the Play-off final
9. Ipswich home and away in the 98 semi final play-offs
10Bristol City away in the Cup when we got the draw

Why is this relevant to our support? Perhaps because there will be a lot of our fans who have not experienced the lows of football relegation, nor the passion of a derby against Millwall (and not many against palace). I have suffered three relegations since supporting Charlton and many losses to Millwall. And the relegation fights we had with lennie in the mid-to-late 80's were both depressing (as we kept getting beaten) and exhillerating (cos we stayed up longer than anyone expected). And I do think it is true, that the lows make the highs better.

Why is this relevant? Obvious, really - it does look to me that we are in for a relegation fight. And provided we end up 17th, let's bring it on..... But we have got to keep supporting the team, starting with Watford on Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    Aaah some memories there mate! Good and bad (even though the bad ones dont seem so bad anymore)

Agreed! All fans should gather in their chosen drinking establishments at least 2 hours before the game and drink at least 5 pints of Stella to make sure we get a proper noise going.
  • Options
    I am training it down rather than driving, gonna get bladdered before the game as it improves my singing voice.
  • Options
    Am doing a pub crawl before the game saturday starting at 11

Should improve the game a bit
  • Options
    Excellent post Oscar.

For all those like me that tutted at the dissenters on Monday night, how many were like me up at Burnley away, booing Curbs and the team off and calling for Billy Bonds to be made manager ?

Now that was a depressing jouney home.
  • Options
    [cite] CharltonDan:[/cite]Aaah some memories there mate! Good and bad (even though the bad ones dont seem so bad anymore)

Agreed! All fans should gather in their chosen drinking establishments at least 2 hours before the game and drink at least 5 pints of Stella to make sure we get a proper noise going.

Here here CharltonDan, here here. I will be plastered on Saturday just for you dan, give you something to listen to when we are 0-1 down to Powellies screamer.