Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Fleetwood Town | Saturday 22nd January 2022

edited January 2022 in General Charlton
A return to the Valley and to winning ways!

The first half was a chess match with Charlton leading the way with possession and Fleetwood making inroads on the counter. We gave them far to much space in behind our backline, but they weren’t ruthless enough to capitalise. They were comfortable enough with leaving the ball to our centre backs and packing the middle. Our midfield couldn’t shake free and our centre backs weren’t careful enough in possession. As the half wore on, we grew into it and made better use of our possession. We had a few opportunities of our own, but we also couldn’t capitalise.

In the second half we began to make headway. Young Mason imposed himself and came up with a goal to reward his efforts and open the scoring. 

Dobbo was immense throughout as always, breaking up play and turning defense into attack. He never hides and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. I hope his confidence continues. Chuks played well again, imposing himself and giving their centrebacks something to think about. He banged about for 90 minutes, which should put to bed any health and fitness worries, for now. Alex Gilbey started on the bench again today, but made a big difference in attack when he came on deep in the second half. Perhaps it’s time to start him again, in place of Elliott Lee, who has also found it difficult to make his effort felt. Coming off the bench may suit him and help him find his form again. In terms of being out of the side for an extended period, and then coming back in, Albie Morgan had a good day and was rewarded with a goal to cap off a fine performance. Also, special mention to Innis, whose header put Mason in on goal, and marshaled the defense to limit an in-form Fleetwood. And Corey Blackett-Taylor’s blistering pace kept Fleetwood at bay in the first half, as a primary outlet on the left wing.

Charlton 2 Fleetwood 0

Over to you.

Comments

• Blooming needed to break that sodding run of results. Anyhow, anyway. Job done. 
  • Good much needed win 👏🏻👏🏻

I thought that awful song wasn’t going to be played as soon as the game finished anymore? Let the supporters & players enjoy the moment before the dirge gets put on the record player 
    Oh no. Not again. Guess it's because he was there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor 1st half 
    Better 2nd half 
    Burstow looks a real prospect 
    Onwards and upwards 
  • edited January 2022
    I didn’t get to watch today, pleased to see we’ve won!

I wanted to see a midfield of Gilbey, Morgan and Dobson a few games ago. Would be curious to know what people made of them playing together. Happy for Morgan, sounds like he did a good job today. Let’s hope he keeps up. 

Really want us to build on this and start to get back on track to finish the season as well as possible. 
  • Jimmy "Who ate all the pies" - poor ref  :D
  • Enjoyed that. Best performance for 3 games 
  • Won't talk about that 1st half.

2nd was a whole lot better in a long time. I thought CBT was brilliant. Probably my motm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shit game of football but a win's a win. Got a very tough set of fixtures coming up so that was desperately needed. 

Won't dwell on individual performances, but there were some who continue to be poor. 

Pleased for Morgan, could see how much the goal meant to him.
  • Redskin said:
    Good much needed win 👏🏻👏🏻

I thought that awful song wasn’t going to be played as soon as the game finished anymore? Let the supporters & players enjoy the moment before the dirge gets put on the record player 
    Oh no. Not again. Guess it's because he was there.
    Do you people remember who 'owned' the club before TS bought it?
    I do, and that song can be played before, at half-time and full time as far as I'm concerned.
    Such a small price to pay to be rid of the crooks.
    Yeah but I will always think the fan made atmosphere is better.