Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Fan Led Review into Football

Comments

• Done.
    This is so important for  the game we all love.

• Brief interview with Tracey Crouch on Newsnight tonight

And here is the link to the press release about the white paper 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bold-plan-to-protect-long-term-future-of-english-football

• is there any provision to protect our historic stadia from property speculators, am thinking not. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Two pieces regarding the FLR on the BBC R4 Today, this morning. 
    Sports Minister minded to let the EPL and EFL continue to sort out the EPL payments to the lower leagues themselves, despite payments being a 'problem for 30 years' and the intention to introduce an independent regulator. No mention of timescales.
    Whilst I think an independent regulator is undoubtedly needed, I can't see this being compatible with government free market thinking and expect a regulator for football to be as toothless and ineffective as the regulators for other industries. 
    Hope I am wrong!

• A debate in Parliament on the white paper was held earlier, you can watch it on the link below.
    The debate began at 12.01
    https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Commons
    Statement: Football Governance White Paper

• Reckon the proposal will be watered down by the time the bill is passed into law. It has to go through the usual parliamentary scrutiny.
  • razil said:
    is there any provision to protect our historic stadia from property speculators, am thinking not. 
    From the executive summary:

"The Regulator will also require clubs to seek its approval for any sale or relocation of the club’s stadium."
  • msomerton said:
    Reckon the proposal will be watered down by the time the bill is passed into law. It has to go through the usual parliamentary scrutiny.
    It will not be watered down, if enough people make enough of a fuss. If ever there was a time for us all to contact our MPs, this is it!
  • Just when I thought I couldn’t hate that twat Richard Masters any more. My personal favourite of his BBC interview “Masters said the ability of owners to invest and take measured risks against the background of financial regulation to improve their squads and create a really competitive league is one of the reasons behind the Premier League's success” 
    Oh I’m so fucking pleased 20 clubs out of 92 have owners wealthy enough to burn £100s of millions. Is it really not that bleeding obvious that this concerns football and not just the PL?!
  • edited February 2023
    Steve Lansdowne owner of Bristol C & Hargreaves Lansdowne is against an independent regulator. 
  • Steve Lansdowne owner of Bristol C & Hargreaves Lansdowne is against an independent regulator. 
    FFS. I've got my investments on their platform.  One for the S&I thread. 

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2023
    Signed the petition, sadly  the 'time scale' for this important bill seems to  have no date with the minister  looking rather 'smug' in parliament giving no  real assurances about even being passed in this parliament?. Quite why they have dragged their feet on this issue is somewhat concerning as all parties seemed to have supported the white paper, and urged the government to press on as soon  as possible.

I guess more dither and delay, while  the PFL will also drag this on?.  
  • Signed the petition, sadly  the 'time scale' for this important bill seems to  have no date with the minister  looking rather 'smug' in parliament giving no  real assurances about even being passed in this parliament?. Quite why they have dragged their feet on this issue is somewhat concerning as all parties seemed to have supported the white paper, and urged the government to press on as soon  as possible.

I guess more dither and delay, while  the PFL will also drag this on?.  
    Give a listen to Tracey Crouch on today's Price of Football podcast. It will reassure you. In fact, everyone, give this a listen. This is a politician who can restore your faith in the political process. She's a Tory but the complete antipathy of the current 'big beasts'. More Tracey Crouch's more good stuff done, less tribal conflict.

• The threat of the collapse of the Premier league will kill this regulator idea off before it gets started. The wealthy foreign owners will threaten to walk away and that will be that.
  • Steve Lansdowne owner of Bristol C & Hargreaves Lansdowne is against an independent regulator. 
    I've gone looking for links for that and found nothing. Where did you read it? 
    I've gone looking for links for that and found nothing. Where did you read it? 
    He was on the national news this week, when the issue was being discussed.
  • clive said:
    While I concede there are other more pressing issues the Government should also be addressing, I cannot understand why they are dragging their feet over legislation on this matter, where there is generally all-party support. 

Unless they deliberately sabotage the bill by including something highly controversial (and why would they?), it should pass all stages with minimal changes, which looks a swift win-win for all concerned.
  • edited June 2023

Reading in deep doo-doo. 
  • Independent regulator for football outlined in King's Speech

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67346196