Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What Do We Need / What Do We Need To Do?

Change the formation, to suit the players we’ve got?

Integrate more youth players thinking of next season?

Find a Mark Kinsella type of player that will boss the play / dictate the game?

Recruit some midfielders who can score?

Send back Lee & Leko?

Just go on a long holiday!

Comments

• Options
    One thing I notice is we never seem to have many shots on goal.  Yet we concede a lot of goals ourself by shots from edge of box that go in directly or are spilled and then rebounded in.

We seem to try and let perfect be the enemy of the good.  

Generally every shot results in applause and is seen as a statement of intent.  On purely a numbers game if you are having 10 or more shots in a game one may result in a goal or a few corners. 

I would ask players to shoot on sight more.   Once you start doing that the defenders will be on guard for shots and it may even open up opportunities to then drive into the box.

At present teams work us out in that they don't need to guard against edge of the box shots and can focus on shutting us down in numbers to stifle our attacking play.  

Shoot on sight for a few games when in and around the box and follow up on the rebounds and will probably translate to more goals.
  • Options
    Our midfield is too weak offers little.
  • Options
    Go into administration.

Didn't do Wigan any harm
  • Options
    Change the formation, to suit the players we’ve got?

Not necessarily, formations are over rated by fans.  They are much less important than doing the basics well and putting in the required commitment. 

Integrate more youth players thinking of next season?

Too soon a decade of neglected has gutted the 19-21 pool, maybe this time next year. 

Find a Mark Kinsella type of player that will boss the play / dictate the game?

We need a Mark Kinsella type character as much if not more than we need that type of player. 

Recruit some midfielders who can score?

We aren't missing many, we aren't getting in the positions for our midfielders to score.  

Send back Lee & Leko?

Probably not sign either atm but get rid of them doesn't help unless we replace them with better. 

Just go on a long holiday!

They have had 5 of the last 6 months off!

• Options
    Go into administration.

Didn't do Wigan any harm
    Oh cmon, be serious!
  • Options
    Ship out the senior players who are adding no impact at all (Gunter, Matthews, Watson).

We need some senior players in the squad next season who actually grab a game by the scruff of the neck and don’t hide.

• Options
    Get rid of the wing back formation, or sign some wing backs. No point forcing full backs or wingers into a formation that is no longer effective.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    3 away league wins all season, so I’m told by my son, if we want to be challenging the top 2 / top 6 , we should be up to at least 6 / 7 away wins this season, we’re a long way short of that, and it shows in the midfield, we get bullied, and offer little, hope SG gots some aces up his sleeve ( not that I believe we can do that this season, but going forward I hasten to add).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Throw the Black Box in the Thames. Get out and do some proper scouting and find some players who are Championship standard, to get out us of this Division. The ground work should be done now, to get players in early in the summer window.
    That black box comment was so ridiculous on the part of the club, they were practically boasting about it. Appointing Roddy was such a bad error and despite many on here telling those of us who pointed it out on how did we know, the fact he was sent packing shows that TS came to the same conculsion.

We need to get some decent signings in, how we get shot of some of the ones on long term deals is the harder part
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Throw the Black Box in the Thames. Get out and do some proper scouting and find some players who are Championship standard, to get out us of this Division. The ground work should be done now, to get players in early in the summer window.
    Spot on, if we keep fudging stuff we’re going to be stuck in this division for years to come.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Spot on, if we keep fudging stuff we’re going to be stuck in this division for years to come.
    Cant see us doing much next season.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    As soon as possible, get rid of Souare, Matthews, Watson, Gunter, Henderson. Move Pearce to a coaching role.

Do as much as we can to tie down the best of the U18's to contracts.  Get to safety and then give some of them a go to see if they can step up next season.

Warm up the big PL teams to loans for next season.  If free and not silly wages I would keep Lee and Leko but as squad players rather than first teamers.

Figure out the best L1 and L2 players out of contract and target the best ones early with decent wages saved from those released (we should have been all over Twine last summer for example).
  • Options
    Personally I’d start with a review of our recruitment. I don’t think that’s been very good to be honest. 
    The last 3 transfer windows smack of being by committee and excel spreadsheets. 

Need two left backs ✅
    A couple of midfielders ✅
    A few wingers ✅

Without much consideration of what we are actually going to do with them once we have got them.  We have recruited squads, not teams. 
  • Options
    Obviously concentrate on staying up this season.

Then pick up a couple of experienced out-of-contract players in the summer. Put them on decent short term contracts with a nice bonus, and see if that helps us at least challenging for promotion. 

Noticed Jagielka still doing a job at Stoke at 39 years old.
  • Options
    Scout, find good young players that would fit into our squad and buy them. 

Look for some experienced coaches that would add value to the squad set-up. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Not so sure how we're gonna coax players that are both decent and young into coming to us, rather then other, more attractive propositions.
  • Options
    @Billy_Mix don't mind you laughing at my comments, but would be nice for an explanation mate. Seem to remember getting a couple if lols from you, when I was backing George Dodson up before he found some form. 🤷‍♂️

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Not so sure how we're gonna coax players that are both decent and young into coming to us, rather then other, more attractive propositions.
    Where? 

Pay the going rate and sell them the dream of playing here. 
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Do we really believe the clubs doing well get their recruitment right using only traditional scouting and with no support of analytics?
  • Options
    The first thing is to be clear what the objective is.

That may sound obvious ... but there are two distinct answers to that question ... the first is promotion from League 1, the second is to build the nucleus of a squad which will progress into the Premier League in a sensible timeframe.  Remember that this was Sandgaard's original stated intent.

Of course, the two objectives can overlap, but you could set about focussing purely on achieving promotion from League 1 in the first instance, and then re-build over two or three years to try to progress through the Championship.

I have to say that the recent re-signing of Aneke on a 3.5 year deal worries me.  That level of commitment by the Club suggests either that the thinking is confused or that Aneke is seen as a core member of any potentially successful Championship squad.  His track record at Championship level would not support that.

We have others on long contracts.  Three more years of Jaiyesimi ... Yaay!  It's the same point.  He is not going to be a regular in any Championship side which might challenge for promotion.

So ... what do we need to do?  Sandgaard needs to be clear what he is trying to achieve.  Putting together an 'instant' team to get out of League 1 could be done relatively simply, but at significant cost.  The target players are proven individuals, but not necessarily players for the future.  The brief is merely to get us up, and then we start again in the Championship.  

It's more strategic to try to build a squad which will be good enough to get promotion from League 1, but with the potential to improve and which would benefit from only a few additions if and when we get to the Championship.

Ask yourself now, from the current squad, do we have any players in either category (proven individuals or those with the potential to improve and compete at Championship level)?  There aren't many. 

So, it feels like another rebuild over the next six months.  But with clarity of objective, please ... not just opportunism because players like Aneke become available.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I think short term we can either have a season like we did under Bowyer where we managed to to find a combination of strong recruitment, and youth players, alongside a competent manager (which I believe Jackson very much is) which is enough to give us the edge to get out of the league.

Though long term that does not necessarily solve our issues.  

For me we need a complete ethos change from top to bottom, and back around again. It feels like we have been playing the same slow, rigid uninspiring football for a long time now. There was a hint of trying something different under Adkins, but it didn’t go far enough, was implemented poorly both on and off the pitch and behind the scenes, and because of that was rightly not given enough time. 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Tutt-Tutt said:
    Do we really believe the clubs doing well get their recruitment right using only traditional scouting and with no support of analytics?
    No but its not the use of analytics that's the problem.  At no time over the last 18 months has there been a time when you could, with clarity, say this is our best team and way of playing and it's good enough.

Funny enough our best 3 spells have been when either a new manager has hammered square pegs into round holes to fit a system or we have had to pick what we have had a get on with it.   What ever system we have used, and Bowyer used most of them, it never feels right for the squad.

I honestly thought we would get it right last summer, with the way we ended last season and the sense of clarity we had preseason. That was gone after 3 games, 3 games, not even 3 months!  I couldn't have been more wrong. 
  • Options
    Go into administration.

Didn't do Wigan any harm
    Oh cmon, be serious!
    Well, when I ever suggest something sensible like buying players early I get ridiculed saying "but we have all summer.....the transfer window doesn't shut until the end of August"

So  if you really know what I think.....

Bin Pearce, Watson, Gunter, Matthews, Suare, JFC & Davison. Send Leko back. Sell Kirk. 

Keep the others & sign Lee.

Make the priority a pacey striker. That is a 20 goal a season striker.  Then midfielders who score & alao midfielders who can pick a pass. Then sign proper wingers who can cross on the run & play them on the "right" side. 

Sign a proper right back & back up for Purrington.