Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match thread: Cheltenham v Charlton | 3pm Saturday 15th January

Without a win in seven matches, an out-of-form Cheltenham welcomed an out-of-form Charlton to town. Charlton started brightly, having the best of possession in the first twenty minutes. However, we were unable to capitalise in any meaningful way. We also started to gift them opportunities on the counter attack through individual errors. Eventually, an error cost us a goal. Almost a carbon copy of the goal conceded in our previous match, Henderson spilled a save to the oncoming attacker who slotted it over him. The defending was certainly poor, but the keeper should have once again done better.

The goal once again seemed to dent our confidence significantly and we showed nothing that would suggest we’d turn things around. Cheltenham dug in and continued to frustrate us whilst seizing on individual mistakes to counter. We’re not as hopeless as the run of bad form under Adkins earlier in the season, but 

A mostly hapless performance did nothing to reverse our form. But coming from behind to take home a point would be a welcomed consolation. This team needs a touch of luck to inject some much needed confidence and, on 94 minutes, that bit of luck came in the form of a corner and late header from Innis that flashed across the Cheltenham box. Aneke forced himself to the fore in the goal-mouth scramble and managed to force the ball past the keeper. Cheltenham will feel that they themselves are cursed. Jackson’s late changes paid off as we left with a point and something to build on. After having a late equaliser at Crewe was chalked off in our last match, history had repeated itself without that cruel, cruel twist.

Dobson continued to play well and Chuks scored and came close on a couple of occasions and managed an entire ninety minutes, suggesting his health issues may well be behind him.

Not inspiring, but we’ve stopped the rot and have something to build on.

Cheltenham 1 Charlton 1

Over to you.

Comments

• Is the top 6 back on?
  • Point closer to the play offs! *insert it's happening gif*
  • I wouldn’t say a point is undeserved, as they weren’t better than us and only had chances off of our obvious errors. We have to be more confident, assertive, and intentional to get back to the form we showed weeks ago.
  • edited January 2022
    Feel bad for all the people that are going to think that last minute goal is 'turning our season around'. 

In terms of our squad quality we are exactly where we should be, lower midtable in League One. 
  • edited January 2022
    I'm relieved we've got something from the game, but I hope Jackson considers changing it up next week as the performances have been woeful recently.
  • Daylight robbery but sometimes you get a bit of luck. Really need to look at our performances this week though, been shocking. Some really poor showings today, Leko was dreadful when he come on.
  • Sponsored links:

• At least it stops a losing rut. That and an Aneke goal only positive for me.
  • edited January 2022
    We could've won 1-3, but to me the score was purely academic. We ain't going anywhere playing like that and it's gonna take a lot more than a bit of jiggingto put right.

Something really drastic needs to happen 
  • Amazing what you can do if you put in a half decent cross isn’t it!? 

Far too many bit part players/donkeys in our team a and nothing whatsoever off the bench.

Stockley and aneke up top, with Washington on the wing could prove good but other than that - we look extremely boring and lacking of any real ideas.

lee a ghost of what he once was, Gilbey seemingly having to make do with scraps - defence is obviously decent but just leaks so many goals! Flat back 4 please (famewo, lavelle, purrington & Clare)

worrying, but get through this damp squib of a season and make a real (no , I mean a REAL!) go of it come august 
  • Wipeeey! Piss poor again then tho, only positives were Chuks and I thought Albie done ok today. 
  • Didn’t see it but the quality of our performances away from home just seem to be consistently awful
  • That’s what happens having a goal scorer in your team that is in the right place, welcome back Chuks. You came back to save us 
  • Can we recall AMB from Ross County?
  • Shit performance, shit formation, Hendo makes the same mistake as he did at crew......however we stole a point, it was complete daylight robbery, BUT perhaps, just perhaps, these 2 or 3 new players that Gallen mentioned can join this week and we now go on a upward run.....we need Washington and Stockley back, we need to ship out a few and we need some bloody confidence.....without the above, in my opinion, we are not even a middle of the table League one side!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2022
    Genuinely still cackling. We deserved -1 points for that. After all the times this had happened to us in the last few years, it's nice to know what it feels like. And it feels...so dumb. 

The real winner today was the black kits. They are ace. 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Can we recall AMB from Ross County?
    Had forgotten about him! Certainly has to be used next season 
  • LoOkOuT said:
    I wouldn’t say a point is undeserved, as they weren’t better than us and only had chances off of our obvious errors. We have to be more confident, assertive, and intentional to get back to the form we showed weeks ago.
    They were much better than us. Cheltenham played some great football orchestrated by their 10, and running through their 9. They scored off an error but they carved us open multiple times 
  • Think we need a change of plan. They new what to do the wing backs have  2 players on them every time. They had extra man in midfield our extra is at centre back. We had 3 centre backs and they didn’t know who to mark.especially there number 9 who seemed unmarked all game. perhaps we need to go back go diamond. In midfield we could even go to the 4231 now there is no stockley we need to mix it up though so teams cannot predict us. 
  • HMS piss the league is back on. 
    To be torpedoed next Saturday
  • Yay! Chuks can play for 90 minutes!
    Thought he improved as the game went on, which is encouraging. 
    But there’s much improvement required by the team. The press was weak, very little movement off the ball, and front players were isolated when they got the ball. 
    We can only hope that the buzz of a last minute equaliser can lift the team, and JJ.