Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Washing machine engineer

Good morning,

I have a leak in my washing machine and it is a pain. I tried to get someone to pick it up so I can buy a new one and replace it.

I have already contacted a company about this (roughly 6 weeks ago) but memory tells me that phone call didn't go well for some reason.

It's not a solvable problem for plumbers. He walked in an said "I can't sort that out mate" then walked out. Maybe he would have done something if I was a member of the stonecutters...or maybe he was a palace fan.

It is simply just a leak. I'd prefer to just get it fixed. Any help would be appreciated.

I also request for this to be deleted when necessary as it isn't really football forum material.

Cheers 

Comments

• Options
    Currys will replace and take the old one away. Very efficient service.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I put washing machines along with tumble dryers, fridges and TVs in the disposable item category these days. 
    With call out charges, hourly rates plus parts  it never seems viable to repair anything. 
    Unless it was a leak with the exterior pipe work I’d be binning it and getting a replacement. 

• Options
    Just drain it and tip it on its back and have a go at fixing it your self. Get a load of towels down first. If it's not just a loose connection then probably not worth fixing
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    You don't say where it's leaking from mate. If it's the door you can usually get a replacement rubber seal from someone like espares.co.uk. They also do other replacement parts for the water fillers and rubber/metal glue for them to seal leaks. Frankly, if it's anything more than that IMO you should just get a new one. You can usually pay the supplier or your local council to take the old one away. (My local council charge £15 for the first "large" item and another £8 for each additional one.)  I recently got rid of a large upright freezer that way.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    You don't say where it's leaking from mate. If it's the door you can usually get a replacement rubber seal from someone like espares.co.uk. They also do other replacement parts for the water fillers and rubber/metal glue for them to seal leaks. Frankly, if it's anything more than that IMO you should just get a new one. You can usually pay the supplier or your local council to take the old one away. (My local council charge £15 for the first "large" item and another £8 for each additional one.)  I recently got rid of a large upright freezer that way.
    I hate paying people for little jobs like this. You end up paying as much as a new machine if you're not careful.

Rather than do that I quite often have a go myself first and espares.co.uk is a cracking resource. Their videos are really good at helping you diagnose the most likely issue and showing you how to fix it.

A lot of these issues are easily resolved at a fraction of the price an engineer would charge if you do your research and you're confident enough to give it a go.

Plus it makes you feel manly for the rest of the day...
  • Options
    It's leaking from the bottom of it.

I got it from a charity shop. Only roughly £60 I think.

I don't want to have to bring curbs' book to a launderette
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Rather than buy a new machine, can I suggest you move to a small west country market town? Here we have a bloke that everyone knows, and he seems to fix absolutely anything and everything for about £30 including parts and labour, usually about 20 mins after you call him. 
  • Options
    Rather than buy a new machine, can I suggest you move to a small west country market town? Here we have a bloke that everyone knows, and he seems to fix absolutely anything and everything for about £30 including parts and labour, usually about 20 mins after you call him. 

or, take your washing to the nearest river and beat it on a stone. Hang on a branch to dry. :)
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    I hate paying people for little jobs like this. You end up paying as much as a new machine if you're not careful.

Rather than do that I quite often have a go myself first and espares.co.uk is a cracking resource. Their videos are really good at helping you diagnose the most likely issue and showing you how to fix it.

A lot of these issues are easily resolved at a fraction of the price an engineer would charge if you do your research and you're confident enough to give it a go.

Plus it makes you feel manly for the rest of the day...

I was butch enough to install the washing machine myself. I then played stone cold Steve Austin's entrance music and lifted some weights...followed by strolling to Aldis like a nutter
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

or, take your washing to the nearest river and beat it on a stone. Hang on a branch to dry. :)
    Not with the state of the rivers in this country.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I put washing machines along with tumble dryers, fridges and TVs in the disposable item category these days. 
    With call out charges, hourly rates plus parts  it never seems viable to repair anything. 
    Unless it was a leak with the exterior pipe work I’d be binning it and getting a replacement. 

I agree with most of those but not washing machines. Ours is on two times a day a lot of the time. It works it's socks off.
    I always get an extended warranty and the fella that comes round to repair is always here within a day or two and fixes it every time. I think it's around 10 quid a month. Well worth it imo
  • Options
    Got mine through Appliances Online. Very quick and efficient deliver, install and takeaway service

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    It's leaking from the bottom of it.

I got it from a charity shop. Only roughly £60 I think.

I don't want to have to bring curbs' book to a launderette
    A repair is going to cost you twice the price you paid for the machine. Unfortunately that is the price you pay (no pun intended) for buying 2nd hand. 

You can get a half decent new one for less than £250.

• Options
    I have used this company before and they were great - used to have the shop in Lion Road but just repairs now I think? Nothing lost giving them a call for a chat ?  

J & J Parkinson

• 020 8301 1618

• 10-14 Lion Road, Bexleyheath, DA68NR
  • Options
    Have you tried switching it off and back on again?
  • Options
    Buy a mangle

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Buy a mangle

• Options
    Machine doctor
  • Options
    Put it outside for the scrap man it will go in a couple of hours👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T_C_E said:

I agree with most of those but not washing machines. Ours is on two times a day a lot of the time. It works it's socks off.
    I always get an extended warranty and the fella that comes round to repair is always here within a day or two and fixes it every time. I think it's around 10 quid a month. Well worth it imo
    With respect, re extended warranty. You get a years warranty, I look at getting three years out a washing machine. With dogs bedding and me getting through up to 3 changes of clothes in a day ours gets a good hiding too, I look at the premium on unused extended warranty and think that pays for a replacement anything under 3 years use and I’ve been unlucky and picked a Friday afternoon special. 
  • Options
    As far as getting old stuff removed with the exception of fridges/freezers check out local Facebook pages, it seems the modern day rag n bone man uses it to advertise his trade. 
  • Options
    The main element has just gone on my seven year old washer dryer. I ordered a new one from espares and watched their instructional video.
    All good, but they don't tell you that demonstrating element removal on a new machine is somewhat different from doing it on an old one where the compressed rubber that seals the element in place has hardened and swollen with time and heat, and now won't budge. Even proper repair bods seem to struggle with this. Apparently the solution is to cut the old rubber seal down with a scalpel or similar until the old element can be pulled out. Takes a good half hour, more likely longer.
    And this after just having replaced the car battery which was four times more difficult than it needed to be due to bizarre and unnecessary french design. Thanks, Peugeot. (Yes, I know, it's my own fault)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    T_C_E said:

With respect, re extended warranty. You get a years warranty, I look at getting three years out a washing machine. With dogs bedding and me getting through up to 3 changes of clothes in a day ours gets a good hiding too, I look at the premium on unused extended warranty and think that pays for a replacement anything under 3 years use and I’ve been unlucky and picked a Friday afternoon special. 
    Agreed. How often do you need to replace a kitchen appliance? Multiply all your machines by the cost of a warranty and the total price is staggering.  Not buying the warranty, you could probably save enough to kit your kitchen out with new Miele gear.
    (BTW there is actually a BRITISH washing machine manufacturer - shock horror - called Ebac. Their machines start at around £500 but come with interest-free credit and a 7 years parts and labour warranty)
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Got mine through Appliances Online. Very quick and efficient deliver, install and takeaway service

They are the only company I use for appliances. Never had any problems whatsoever. I do the install and disposal of the appliance myself though rather than using them. 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

They are the only company I use for appliances. Never had any problems whatsoever. I do the install and disposal of the appliance myself though rather than using them. 
    Yup, I've seen the picture.

Washing machine dumped in another incident of 39disgusting39 behaviour around  Exeter canal - Devon Live