Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thomas Sandgaard Q&A February 10th

Thomas has agreed to join a Zoom Q&A with CAST members on February 10th. Registration details to follow shortly.

If you would like to take part but you are not a CAST member joining details can be found here:

https://www.castrust.org/2022/01/thomas-sandgaard-qa-february-10th/

Comments

• When is the trust going back to the face to face meetings? 
  • Post COVID I assume.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Post COVID I assume.
    Covid is not going away
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Post COVID I assume.
    Covid is not going away
    But the impact is lessening so it’s a fair question 
  • stonemuse said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Post COVID I assume.
    Covid is not going away
    Theatres are open so do not see the difference.  Bromley Addicks have now gone back to face to face meetings as well. 

Zoom calls have a place but I do think we need some meetings to be face to face so you can read the room, and follow up questions can be asked to the answers that have been given
  • stonemuse said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Post COVID I assume.
    Covid is not going away
    Apologies mis read what you meant. I meant Covid will be here for years so are we suggesting no face to face can happen for years? That is not realistic in my opinion (and i assume yours as well!)
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    stonemuse said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Post COVID I assume.
    Covid is not going away
    Apologies mis read what you meant. I meant Covid will be here for years so are we suggesting no face to face can happen for years? That is not realistic in my opinion (and i assume yours as well!)
    Yup
  • Sponsored links:

• There is always the happy medium of having a live event with it being a zoom event for us that live many miles away.
    We have discussed that as an idea - requires a bit more resource and tech know-how but certainly will investigate. We considered for the AGM last year but in the end agreed Zoom was better in the circumstances at the time. I did have a background pic of the bar at The Bugle for old times’ sake ;-)
  • Looking forward to this gig 😉🎸
  • I'll have Stairway To Heaven by Led Zepp please...
  • What is your favourite heavy metal classic track ?
  • Les Paul  or Fender ..who would you sign ?
  • I would like to ask if we're buying players based on stats and their ability or if we're buying players to build a team/system.
  • Genuine ideas for questions:

1) when do you think you might purchase the valley and sparrows lane? 

2) Is football club ownership more or less what you expected? Are you enjoying it?

3) What has been your highlight so far?

4) do you believe Jackson can and will take the club forward?

5) Are we planning on making a lot of signings in the summer? How many exactly? 

6) how long do you feel you want to be the owner of Charlton athletic? 5 years? 10-20 years? 

7) Is it already a catastrophic financial pain in the backside? 

8) when are you gana perform at reading festival? 😉

• Sponsored links:

• Is the  free away train travel starting next season?
  • edited January 2022
    Sage said:
    I thought most of the freebie offers were only open to season ticket holders guests 🤷‍♂️
    To what benefit to me is it that I pay a lot of money, in my opinion, for a season ticket, to be handing out free tickets to 3 other people?
    You get to do something nice for three people you care about?

Depending on whether you think watching us is nice  :D
  • What is it about your son that you think makes him qualified to hold a key role in the recruitment team?
  • When was the last time you skidded your pants? Date & Time.
  • @Sage I understand we all have different financial positions 
    mine , when Roland was here, was spend as little as possible, hence I sat in the family stand with my kids and only bought the odd reduced price kit .
    now it’s Sandgaard I’m west lower next to directors box , car park pass with Lounge access .

There are different options available for lesser cost .

Everyone is different but to me I’m looking to support the club (financially) and I’d pay what I could afford and not be worrying about what someone else is getting .
    Giving a freebie away is nice and of course we oversaturated these offers but they had the right intentions .

We want Thomas to help fund our passion , so I think we all have a part to play as well , within whatever we feel comfortable spending at the club .

if I give someone a free ticket who can’t afford it I’m happy for them , I see a benefit in that and the fact they may want to try and pay to get along further down the line or they may offer me a beer or whatever minimal benefit but as a season ticket holder only an associate of mine will benefit , giving is good !

it’s far from perfect but if you want better value choose a cheaper seat in that stand and sit in the middle or move to the covered end to save some dough or carry on supporting the club (financially) as much as you can .

let’s face it if they offered 24k free season tickets with £100 fine , per game, if you don’t make it they’d prolly still have small crowds .
    This football is not attractive even as a freebie .
    Think you’re personally missing the point I’m trying to make. Which is fine, I was just trying to get across that by some ideas they have they can quickly alienate people. We all can make different choices to continue to support the club, but some and in fact many simply can’t even do that.

The intentions were right at the beginning as having more people in is always a good thing, it’s better seats are used than not at all. I’ve always said and believed that. I used the offer to bring people to The Valley, few who otherwise wouldn't have been able to go and it’s great in that respect. But they wanted to do it for the rest of the season and that completely devalues the season ticket holders and the point of buying one. Giving is good and helping out where you can is great, but handing out 1000s of freebies each week is not a business model to success, nor is it a way to gain and retain new/existing supporters. Thankfully, they decided not to do it for the rest of the season and saw a bit of sense. But they need to be better at encouraging people to come along. Of course, winning games of football help too.

The other point is that even in the cheaper areas, many people simply cannot afford a ticket or season ticket. We are a League One club, the football is unattractive, the last however many seasons have been in this god awful league, what is it 9 in 14 or something? We have lost a generation of supporters, and alongside that the area and areas around The Valley are on their knees. Highly deprived and food banks are running out of food as the demand is so high, more and more people are struggling financially so yes giving free tickets away is great, I applaud the club for it, but making it more affordable from the outset and being creative and rewarding those who can and do commit is what is going to gain and retain supporters. Not a free ticket handed out because they know a season ticket holder.

I like where I sit and I paid for it last summer. I don’t want to change and could afford it last year. But the point is, 1000s of others simply cannot and rather than giving tickets away and making some feel less valued, tap into the work CACT do for example, the amount of people CACT engage with across boroughs and down into Kent is unbelievable. It doesn’t all have to be free tickets. Provide a discount code or percentage off to those who are signed up to programmes or something. Encourage partners to come along more often. That way they get the whole experience. Free tickets are handed out every week and many do not attend, let alone come back. But find out what is stopping people from actually attending anyway. Do some research, ask the question, if it’s finances, how much do they deem as reasonable? If it’s other things, find out what the club can do to be more attractive or encourage them to come to The Valley instead. The population to Greenwich and Bexley boroughs are around a combined total of 550,000, that’s without looking into Kent further, find out why we are only getting around 1-2% attending games. 

We want to grow our support, we want to grow our club, but you have to assess the market you’re aiming at and understand that so many more people now are struggling, so to be sustainable or at least provide a model more sustainable than free tickets, free tickets, free tickets, and to keep people happy, going forward it needs to be affordable for many and not the few. And they need to actually be actively looking at what can be done to help get the percentage from around 1.5% up to 3%. 
  • edited January 2022
    The club gave out many thousands of free tickets for the Fleetwood game (I suspect 5-8,000), the majority of which were not used, which is always the case. On the flip side the gate was higher than it would have been and the atmosphere better. I doubt if the season ticket offer for that game did much in practice.

I agree that it needs a much more sophisticated approach and while Fleetwood is a rubbish fixture it's quite dangerous to issue that many comps and not something you can do regularly.