Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life current trends

It's quite disappointing at the moment, that whenever an update is provided on an individual player, it's just met with negativity towards them.

Innis - Had an excellent game, is looking sharp, then turns into him being labelled a crock
Lavelle - Has returned to an U23 game and suddenly the conversation is not about his return but him not being good enough
Purrington - Congrats on his 100th cap and now the conversation is about him not being good enough for the left sided wingback role

Similar in the past with DJ, Stockley, McG, Washington, Pearce, Dobson, Clare.

It feels like CL has turned into a post lockdown moaning board. 

Comments

• Options
    Lee was getting it in the neck the other day n all
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It's quite disappointing at the moment, that whenever an update is provided on an individual player, it's just met with negativity towards them.

Innis - Had an excellent game, is looking sharp, then turns into him being labelled a crock
    Lavelle - Has returned to an U23 game and suddenly the conversation is not about his return but him not being good enough
    Purrington - Congrats on his 100th cap and now the conversation is about him not being good enough for the left sided wingback role

Because most of our players, not all, are average league 1 players playing for an average league 1 side.

When you can't blame the owner, the manager or the head of recruitment and all the scape goats and pantomime villians have been shown the door the only ones left to blame are the players. 
  • Options
    Sounds like a team sitting 14th in League One to me. 

What do you really expect? If they were all world beaters we wouldn't be in the position we're in this far into the season. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    To be honest I think if you went on any football team forum, especially one which you could argue is for a team underperforming compared to where it had been in recent years, you’ll probably find the same sort of trend.
  • Options
    We need a game changer or 2.
    Somebody with the personality and charisma to excite the fans and transform the air of failure about the place.
    Sort of like a Lyle Taylor, but not Lyle Taylor 
  • Options
    this isn't and should never be a forum devoted to just praising our players .. we all have a right to type what we think, even if sometimes it is perceived as rubbish by other posters .. if a player is performing well and deserves praise, then praise him, if another is playing badly, then criticise him .. you mention Inniss, he might have had a good 70 odd minutes on Sunday, but his fitness record is terrible and there is no harm at all in this being a regular topic of 'conversation'
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    To be honest I think if you went on any football team forum, especially one which you could argue is for a team underperforming compared to where it had been in recent years, you’ll probably find the same sort of trend.
    No . I think we are particularly bad at having a go out our own players . Even after one game some fans have made their minds up . We’ve been doing it since we got relegated from the prem.  I go onto other forums and we are much worse than most other supporters. It’s what we do 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    bobmunro said:
    It’s all relative.

If you want to gauge just how negative we are then have a look at Stoke’s forums for a laugh. O’Neill out, Coates out, lights out! And they are just outside the play-offs in The Championship! 
    Did Alfie Doughty get over his injury? If so how has he done?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:

That’s mid table league one for you with no prospect of even top six. Hard to get overly positive about anything. 
  • Options
    I think you are being incredibly harsh @mendonca

you highlight out questioning on Inniss ability to stay fit (valid) yet the vast majority of comments since yesterday on Inniss was how well he played and how people rate him. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    LenGlover said:
    bobmunro said:
    It’s all relative.

If you want to gauge just how negative we are then have a look at Stoke’s forums for a laugh. O’Neill out, Coates out, lights out! And they are just outside the play-offs in The Championship! 
    Yes he did - but he hasn't really taken his chance when given the opportunity to play and when I've seen him he's played poorly. I can see him going out on loan this month.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    bobmunro said:
    It’s all relative.

Crazy one that, imagine where they would have been/would be without them.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    It’s all relative.

They certainly wouldn't be debt free, own their own ground and training academy, had 10 years in the Prem and be one of the most financially stable clubs in the country. All that and the owners are lifelong fans.

They are probably the most deluded bunch of fans I've ever come across.

As I said, it's all relative.  
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    LenGlover said:
    bobmunro said:
    It’s all relative.

made Stoke's first goal yesterday in a cup game Orient could well have won .. Doughty lasted for 71 minutes .. Morgan Fox was also playing for Stoke .. b t w I'd be OK if either or both came back to the Valley
  • Options
    There's no middle ground in football , either players get over hyped and praised , or slagged off as not being god enough.

I thought we did quite well yesterday , and it all came down to taking your chances , the same applies whatever division you're in.

I said to my son before the match , if Pukki plays he'll give JP a tough time and for one moment , so it proved, although watching the highlights back the pundits in the studio were getting on Gunters back for putting us in that position. of conceding.

If our first choice strikers play fully fit yesterday , then we'd have probably won/ got something out of the match.

I'm just happy we got to the 3rd round (and actually go to a match) which there was no way happening under NA. (getting to the 3rd round that is).
  • Options
    Continuing disappointment breeds discontent. This was supposed to be our season, we were going for it. We are 14th with no hope of going up, an unlikely to go down. We fail to score in any game our strike partners are not playing together. We have just exited the FA Cup and only have the most embarrassing tin pot competition to hold onto….. An what exact level of joy, positivity, excitement were you expecting on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    bobmunro said:
    It’s all relative.

In this weather, cold
  • Options
    To be fair, mid table in L1 - a division below our natural level - is hardly likely to create much positivity unless we're right up there fighting for promotion.

And for all the Jacko bounce, we have 6 points from our last 5 league games, and have scored 4 goals in that time
  • Options
    I don’t doubt that hardly any of this team is of premiership standard, although I feel a good few would be able to punch their weight through the championship, but I do like the attitude of this team’s work ethic installed by Jacko and Jason.

What is most disappointing is when there’s a lack of effort or looks like a lack of effort by poor management/tactics. I watched some of the match yesterday and like most people posted on here I thought we played well but we really missed the likes of Stockley and Washington, and/or clinical finishing. Otherwise we matched a yo yo premiership outfit. What is there to moan about other than the delays getting in (@Doucher is personally taken this issue by the balls - TK be afraid!)?

We had a very bad start to this season’s campaign and we would definitely have been further up the table with at the very least another 10 points should we have had the current approach. Anyway what it is is what it is and all the “if my auntie had balls she would be my uncle” talk works to keep our belief that one day we will be out of this fucking awful division so be it.

Amen and may the force be with you!
  • Options
    I actually think one of the main aspects of disappointment is we probably over rate our own players
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    I don’t doubt that hardly any of this team is of premiership standard, although I feel a good few would be able to punch their weight through the championship, but I do like the attitude of this team’s work ethic installed by Jacko and Jason.

What is most disappointing is when there’s a lack of effort or looks like a lack of effort by poor management/tactics. I watched some of the match yesterday and like most people posted on here I thought we played well but we really missed the likes of Stockley and Washington, and/or clinical finishing. Otherwise we matched a yo yo premiership outfit. What is there to moan about other than the delays getting in (@Doucher is personally taken this issue by the balls - TK be afraid!)?

We had a very bad start to this season’s campaign and we would definitely have been further up the table with at the very least another 10 points should we have had the current approach. Anyway what it is is what it is and all the “if my auntie had balls she would be my uncle” talk works to keep our belief that one day we will be out of this fucking awful division so be it.

Amen and may the force be with you!
    This the bit I think that highlights our recruitment was the original problem for me.

The first 5 games we had no Purrington (or any left back), no Gilbey, no Lee, no subs and a half fit Inniss.  Suddenly we are 4 points from 5 games and behind the 8 ball.  Your then bringing half fit players, including Gilbey and Purrington into a loosing team.

We were missing a couple of players at Plymouth and the immediate reaction was that everyone else must have Covid.  Or we lost a game just because x or y are injured.  Its because Jackson is "good" and Adkins was "bad".  We saw exactly the same reaction last season. 

What Jackson was able to do, that Adkins and Bowyer weren't, was to draw a line under the past and say this is the team now, this is what I want you to do and its your shirt to lose.  Hopefully we will never find out if he can do it to end a bad run, because I hope we will never have one.

Some people have such a black and white version of life and don't accept that the good guys can do wrong and the bad guys can ever be right.  We have seen it with everyone at the club from owner to tea lady.