Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Calling all punk fans: Favourite punk singles?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    The Clash - Complete Control
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    Patrik Fitzgerald - Safety Pin Stuck in my Heart
    Penetration - Don't Dictate
    X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage, Up Yours
    Buzzcocks - What Do I Get?
    Elvis Costello - Pump It Up
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Undertones - Teenage Kicks
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice
    Rezillos - Flying Saucer Attack

I'd better stop there...!
    Thanks for putting up your list, @Vincenzo, I'd been trying to think of Patrick Fitzgerald's name since I put my list up.  He was the other possibility to be the king of punk poetry alongside John Cooper Clarke, not that either of them would have made the claim themselves, of course.

Saw the Mo-Dettes in the arse end of nowhere somewhere south of Sydenham, they were quite talented as I recall.
    I saw the Modettes headlining at the Moonlight Club, West Hampstead, with U2 supporting. 
    The Modettes were great!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Does 'The Deceiver' by The Alarm, count as punk? 
    Not really
    No not really but a great single released around 82 I think
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Vincenzo said:
    Hi AddicksAddict said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

Thanks for putting up your list, @Vincenzo, I'd been trying to think of Patrick Fitzgerald's name since I put my list up.  He was the other possibility to be the king of punk poetry alongside John Cooper Clarke, not that either of them would have made the claim themselves, of course.

Saw the Mo-Dettes in the arse end of nowhere somewhere south of Sydenham, they were quite talented as I recall.
    My pleasure. Saw Patrik at Woolwich Poly (supporting Buzzcocks along with Penetration AND The Slits IIRC).

When I saw John Cooper Clarke a few years ago I was slightly stunned to find it had been 35 years since I’d seen him last.
    Correct. What a gig that was. The Buzzcocks were so good we went and saw them again 6 days later at the Lyceum. Still hear in my head Shelly coming on stage and saying "Hello Wol wich" ha ha. 
    I saw The Buzzcocks at Woolwich Poly (think it was called Thames Poly). I presume they only played there once. 
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Hi AddicksAddict said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

My pleasure. Saw Patrik at Woolwich Poly (supporting Buzzcocks along with Penetration AND The Slits IIRC).

When I saw John Cooper Clarke a few years ago I was slightly stunned to find it had been 35 years since I’d seen him last.
    Correct. What a gig that was. The Buzzcocks were so good we went and saw them again 6 days later at the Lyceum. Still hear in my head Shelly coming on stage and saying "Hello Wol wich" ha ha. 
    About 10 years ago we were perusing around Fleetwood market when my sister got chatting to one of the stall holders. It turned out to be Pete Shelley's mother, she said, had she known she would have bought in some memorabilia for her. She asked if we were coming back that week which we weren't.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Hi AddicksAddict said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

1978 - I was there!

Was a student at Thames Poly at the time.
  • Options
    Thames Poly, sorry. 

Saw a few gigs there - often interrupted by skinheads angry that Sham 69 weren't on. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

I saw the Modettes headlining at the Moonlight Club, West Hampstead, with U2 supporting. 
    The Modettes were great!
    Wow. U2 supporting the Modettes? Strange.

I actually played at the Moonlight Club, supporting a band called Dolly Mixture. Anyone remember them?

Was in a band with Fritz, the guitarist from The Nips (nee The Nipple Erectors), the band Shane McGowan was in before the Pogues. Loved The Nips, especially their single Gabrielle. Saw them at the Rock Garden.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

The Modettes were great!

I actually played at the Moonlight Club, supporting a band called Dolly Mixture. Anyone remember them?

Was in a band with Fritz, the guitarist from The Nips (nee The Nipple Erectors), the band Shane McGowan was in before the Pogues. Loved The Nips, especially their single Gabrielle. Saw them at the Rock Garden.
    I remember Dolly Mixture.  Can't recall one track but the name was excellent.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Hi AddicksAddict said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

I saw him at ULU, 28th October, 1978 (http://www.45worlds.com/live/artist/patrik-fitzgerald/3).  I'd forgotten the headliners were The Only Ones, probably because some bastard nicked by bike jacket which had my bike keys in the pocket, my Dad very kindly drove up from New Cross Gate with the spare key.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

I knew there was a reason we'd gone to such a non-place to see a band, we'd seen them not long before at the Electric Ballroom with The Specials, Madness and The Selecter (http://www.45worlds.com/live/artist/madness/uk/5) although I recall there being six bands on the list, not just the four mentioned there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Flys - Love and a Molotov Cocktail
    The Boys - First Time
    The Yachts - Suffice to Say
    The Only Ones - Another Girl, Another Planet

It was such a great time for singles, sadly I sold all of mine (life changes that you later regret!) and they would be worth a fortune now. Still got the music in my head though.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    https://youtu.be/-noBCLKhKhM

Lie lie lie 999

Perfect song for PM
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Pistols - Anarchy
    Subway Sect - Ambition
    ATV - Action Time Vision
    Mo-Dettes - White Mice

The Modettes were great!

Just looked it up and I got my girl bands mixed up. It was actually the Dolly Mixtures who I saw a couple of times at the Moonlight club, so maybe I saw your band!
    I played there myself a few times around that time as well. 
    We preferred the Dolly Mixtures who were very in vogue at the time, whereas U2 seemed like they’d come from the early seventies, with their mullet haircuts and rock poses. 

Saturday, December 1, 1979

Dolly Mixture (Headliner) / U2 (Opening Act)

The Moonlight Club, West Hampstead, London

• Options
    Part time punks - Television Personalities.
  • Options
    Ah those were the days, tripping up to the Marquee etc to see the new bands. Still my favourite music genre.

I have nothing to add to the above choices. Always will be a massive Jam, Buzzcocks,  Clash and Stranglers fan. I suppose songs not mentioned to add to the many excellent lists above are

Where have all the boot boys gone? And Dame to blame by Slaughter and the dogs

Turning Japanese by the Vapors
    I'm going to see The Vapors supporting From the Jam at Margate in April
  • Options
    London Calling Clash