Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Long as Jacko get's the choice he wants, which is probably Jason, then fine...
  • Jason Euell permanent No 2 with Andy Hughes coming in at 1st team coach
    Would love that.
    from memory Jacko and Hughes were pretty close mates I think
  • edited December 2021
    Euell was only recently promoted to the first team setup so maybe they think he still needs to work his way up to assistant manager
  • Jason Euell permanent No 2 with Andy Hughes coming in at 1st team coach
    I was just thinking that. I’d love to see Andy Hughes come back 
  • I think Jackson will approach a former club legend to fill the role - Reza.
  • Sponsored links:

• I assume the first team coach does more of the legwork on the pitch, while the assistant manager does coaching, but also works with the manager more?

Thinking back to the PL days, Day was the 1st team coach, while Peacock was the assistant.
  • Hughes was a great character.
  • Can't be bothered to look for the Michael Appleton pic.  Mods could you post please?

• edited December 2021
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Hughes_(footballer,_born_1978)

Worked under legends Chris Wilder and Alan Pardew and currently between jobs according to Wikipedia (which is totally reliable).

• https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Hughes_(footballer,_born_1978)

Worked under legends Chris Wilder and Alan Pardew and currently between jobs according to Wikipedia (which is totally reliable).
    Andy is currently in charge of loaning out players @ Norwich

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andrew-hughes-25699531
  • Has Thomas Sandgaard got any other children looking for a job  ;)
    Even in jest don't rule it out.
  • I’m sure Hughes was at a game at the Valley recently
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    Surely it cant be anyone but Jason can it ? 

The article reads otherwise. Jacko not saying all they are discussing are terms etc, but that the fit has to be right.

My money's on someone other than Euell. 

• Sage said:
    Really think and expect that Euell will be kept on as first team coach and that’s the correct role for him right now. An excellent coach and someone extremely good at developing players. The role of assistant manager is a different one to that of the skills that Euell really brings right now.

The role of an assistant manager is the go between for the players and the manager. The assistant has a different kind of relationship with the players to the manager. They’re someone the players can relate to, have a bit of banter with, but also someone they have the utmost respect for.

It’s a unique role within a football environment because the manager will rely heavily on their assistant with the information they will provide of what the dressing room is like. They’ll often develop a good relationship with the physio too. Because if the players have anything to share, it’s going to be the physio who knows everything. 

It’s why successful managers will change their assistant manager once in a while. It keeps things fresh, it keeps things professional, a different set of eyes and ears helps the club, team, and manager adapt and evolve.

With Jackson and Euell both young and newer to the roles they’re in, they could do well to bring in an experienced person to help guide them in difficult situations they haven’t yet come across. It wouldn’t surprise me if they went down that route. However, the suggestion of Andy Hughes is an excellent one as he does have experience of multiple roles at different clubs, has the personality that will be great with the players, and is someone who Jackson will have a lot of trust and respect for, as will Euell. They were all together in that special season 10 years ago.

This appointment will be an interesting one and is one they must get right. It’ll be so important and one that’ll be difficult to measure by the end of it of the success of Jackson as manager. I hope, and am confident, they’ll get the right person in, even if it takes a little longer than we all would like.
    That's Euell surely?
  • Sage said:
    Really think and expect that Euell will be kept on as first team coach and that’s the correct role for him right now. An excellent coach and someone extremely good at developing players. The role of assistant manager is a different one to that of the skills that Euell really brings right now.

The role of an assistant manager is the go between for the players and the manager. The assistant has a different kind of relationship with the players to the manager. They’re someone the players can relate to, have a bit of banter with, but also someone they have the utmost respect for.

It’s a unique role within a football environment because the manager will rely heavily on their assistant with the information they will provide of what the dressing room is like. They’ll often develop a good relationship with the physio too. Because if the players have anything to share, it’s going to be the physio who knows everything. 

It’s why successful managers will change their assistant manager once in a while. It keeps things fresh, it keeps things professional, a different set of eyes and ears helps the club, team, and manager adapt and evolve.

With Jackson and Euell both young and newer to the roles they’re in, they could do well to bring in an experienced person to help guide them in difficult situations they haven’t yet come across. It wouldn’t surprise me if they went down that route. However, the suggestion of Andy Hughes is an excellent one as he does have experience of multiple roles at different clubs, has the personality that will be great with the players, and is someone who Jackson will have a lot of trust and respect for, as will Euell. They were all together in that special season 10 years ago.

This appointment will be an interesting one and is one they must get right. It’ll be so important and one that’ll be difficult to measure by the end of it of the success of Jackson as manager. I hope, and am confident, they’ll get the right person in, even if it takes a little longer than we all would like.
    That's Euell surely?
    I’m not saying Euell doesn’t do that, and has worked very well so far, but he will be far better at the development of players through his coaching ability and his work on the training pitch. Euell is extremely tactical and technical from my understanding. The role requires someone slightly different to what Euell offers to us longer term.
  • What's Alou Diarra up to these days?

Half joking, but think he would make a very good coach. Not necessarily an Assistant Manager, but if Euell got that role...There's little in the game Diarra hasn't seen as a player. That doesn't guarantee him being a good coach, but I remember players saying they really liked having him around and I think he mentioned wanting to go into coaching after retirement. 
  • I think the only way Euell doesn’t get this is if Jacko doesn’t want him. And haven’t heard anything about them not getting along so I’d be surprised if Jason doesn’t get it. 
  • Rob said:
    I think the only way Euell doesn’t get this is if Jacko doesn’t want him. And haven’t heard anything about them not getting along so I’d be surprised if Jason doesn’t get it. 

Rob, two CL members who "knew people" stated Jacko and Jason weren't getting on, a few weeks ago which surprised me big time because i was hearing the opposite.

Assistant manager perhaps shouldn't be Jason Euell mainly because of his England coaching commitments. I don't mean this in any negative way other than the time away from the club at times, especially when/if our 3rd tier games are not called off because of Internationals.

Andy Hughes would seem a good shout as assistant with his big personality and as JJ grows into "The Gaffer," and not a team mate or coach, then Andy Hughes becomes the conduit between the lads and the Boss.
    Jacko will remain hands on in training but more time will be taken up in his office with the many facets of sports science, transfers, formations, injuries, form, next oppositions and the myriad of other issues which means JJ has less time at Covent garden, team bonding !

• It's got to be Jackson's choice, if that means upsetting and potentially losing Euell so be it. 

It's remarkable really that inside 8 months Jackson went from being over looked for the job, potentially twice, to becoming the most powerful manager the club have had in a decade. 
  • I'd like it to be someone who could step up if JJ is found wanting. Won't be Michael Beale but of that ilk.