Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football League Review 1967

Couldn't find this elsewhere so thought I'd share it. I've been going through the old Football League Reviews scanning in the team pictures and Charlton do get the occasional mention. This is from the regular Club Call article that featured a different club each week throughout 1967/68. It's from issue 11 of series 2, known as issue 211. (Note that this was actually the third series, but the first is known as series 0 and was called 'Soccer Review'.)

For those not of a certain vintage, the Football League review was a free insert stapled into the middle of club programmes between 1965 and 1975. It was produced by the Football League and is an interesting slice of football and social history as the game and fashions changed over those 10 years. The shift from black and white to colour chiming with the mood as post-war austerity was finally shrugged off and flares, long hair and 'yobbos' were ushered in.

A lot of the photos in the the Review were taken by Peter Robinson who had previously only photographed musicians and bands. His unique photo set-ups, ranging from v-shapes of players shot from above or below, or along a single line were like that because he simply didn't know about the traditional three rows of standing, sitting and crouching that had become the norm.

I did have a chat with Peter a while back because he's been trying to get hold of a complete set of the images. The Football League pretty much sacked him when the Review was about to be axed and they burned the negatives of all his shots a couple of days before he went to collect them.

You can pick up a lot of the issues for around a quid on eBay, although the last few issues are very scarce because so few clubs were using them by then - they go for nearer £30.

If anyone is interested in seeing the team photos scanned so far, you can see them here: https://www.doingthe92.com/display_FLR_teams.asp?step=524&ID=1

Comments

• Options
    Love the advert for the Navy. For some reason it doesnt mention potentially getting shot at or sunk!
  • Options
    Lucky the Cat has been mentioned in other threads and he did feature on the cover of issue 15 (315) of the Review in 1968/69. Here he is, along with the Cover Story feature from inside:

• Options
    Lucky was one beautiful cat.
  • Options
    One shilling.
    Wonderful.
    Was the FLR ever sold separately, it was in the middle of the programme as far as I can tell?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    One shilling.
    Wonderful.
    Was the FLR ever sold separately, it was in the middle of the programme as far as I can tell?
    I think you could subscribe to it but it was mainly sold to clubs to add to their programmes. Peter Robinson's view was that some programmes actually got worse when the Review got popular because they effectively had 20 pages of 'free' content, some of which was in colour to improve the look of their 8 page offerings. 
  • Options
    My favourite thread of the year award!