Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

People’s Energy

Anyone had any issues with PE since they went bust?
All their accounts were sent to British Gas, who have issued a two monthly bill to me.
I was originally told not to cancel my dd with PE so now have a big credit with them, which should be used to pay the BG bill. 
BG say I should speak to Ofgem to get the credit back. But their lines direct you to Citizens Advice. Who don’t answer.

Wondered if anyone else had been through this? 

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Their web site says this (FAQ4 and 5) https://peoplesenergy.co.uk/faq.html#q4
    So your old providers administrators should be in touch.
    You could also ring (the utterly useless) Ofgem on 020 7901 7295 and ask them why they haven't updated their web site with the contact details of the administrators. (since 21 Sept.)

• Options
    BG say it’s not their issue and to call Ofgem, who direct you to Citizens Advice…who don’t answer.  
  • Options
    EDF were an absolute nightmare repaying a large amount of credit we built up with them. Ended up not paying the bill for a few months as couldn't be bothered with the hassle of actually getting cash back. Not sure if British Gas would act the same if it is down to them, but wouldn't surprise me
  • Options
    We were with People's Energy and were transferred to BG in October and still not had a bill. We do use 'Look after my bills' who told us to wait until BG contact us, so that may make a difference
  • Options
    I was also with PE, luckily I didn't trust the "continue your DD" line and cancelled mine as soon as they went bust. Got an email from BG a few weeks later saying they would be in touch but nothing since. 

I am sure you will get the money back, just a pain in the arse to have effectively paid out twice.
  • Options
    We were with People's Energy and were transferred to BG in October and still not had a bill. We do use 'Look after my bills' who told us to wait until BG contact us, so that may make a difference
    I’ve had a bill now from BG. For almost exactly the same amount as the credit with PE. Told them PE have their money. They’ve put a hold ont he account. Currently 38 mins on hold to Citizens Advice. Nightmare and none of our making. 

Got down from 30 to 1 people in the queue.
    Auto message then says ‘I’m sorry but we are unable to take your call. Goodbye.’ Line goes dead.

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    I’ve had a bill now from BG. For almost exactly the same amount as the credit with PE. Told them PE have their money. They’ve put a hold ont he account. Currently 38 mins on hold to Citizens Advice. Nightmare and none of our making. 

Got down from 30 to 1 people in the queue.
    Auto message then says ‘I’m sorry but we are unable to take your call. Goodbye.’ Line goes dead.

No idea what to suggest for the best but my thoughts can’t help but think you need to cancel your direct debit and then let BG chase you for the money. You can then say it’s with PE and threaten them with the ombudsman ? That’s what I’d be thinking.
  • Options
    Makes you feel scammed, I have been done before when holiday companies have gone bust. Got kicked out of a hotel in Ibiza after one night because our holiday company had gone bust and not paid the hotel. We had to shell out another 500 quid each to stay.

Luckily this will be far more regulated and there should be zero chance of you losing the money.
  • Options
    I was with Avro who went bust.
    It took a couple of months, but the credit was transferred to the new supplier, before I received a bill.
  • Options
    I'm with Shooters. Cancel the DD and let British Gas chase you. I'd do a letter or email and include any proof of credit with PE
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was with green . I was dumped with Shell Energy when they went bust  . My Bills with Green were £115 a month and I was in credit for £250  . My first Bill with Shell Energy  was £424 !  
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I'm with Shooters. Cancel the DD and let British Gas chase you. I'd do a letter or email and include any proof of credit with PE
    Ditto. It's up to British Gas so at this stage I wouldn't be paying them anything, cancel your DDR & run up a bill with them until they sort it out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help. Ofgem directed me to Citizens Advice who said BG are liable and the ones to honour the credit. And to complain to them. They shouldn’t be referring customers to Ofgem. Basically BG don’t want to take on PE’s credit until the administrators are done. So as usual it’s the normal customer who has to suck it up. I’ve complained to BG. 
  • Options
    By way of balance -
    I owed PE a chunk and cancelled my DD on the day they went bust. 
    Nobody has asked me for the outstanding dosh (yet). 
  • Options
    By way of balance -
    I owed PE a chunk and cancelled my DD on the day they went bust. 
    Nobody has asked me for the outstanding dosh (yet). 
    So basically you just need to pay me direct? 😉 
  • Options
    I was with Peoples Energy, now with British Gas. Have recently been issued a final bill by Peoples Energy with me £300 odd in credit. Meanwhile BG have issued me with a bill for £350 odd for a two month period. I have paid this as a one-off payment with them and set-up on line via 'my account' a direct debit with them starting in January. I am sure I will get back my money from Peoples Energy in due course but from whom or when I don't know. The final bill from Peoples Energy did say it was from the Administrators and agreed by them. I'm not going to chase it as yet as I'm sure it will all come out in the wash.
  • Options
    Perhaps the real lesson here is that the small almost pop up energy companies with no financial clout should be avoided. Short term gain for long term pain ?
  • Options
    Perhaps the real lesson here is that the small almost pop up energy companies with no financial clout should be avoided. Short term gain for long term pain ?
    Easy to do now, most have gone out of business.
  • Options
    Easy to do now, most have gone out of business.
    You know me Large. Captain hindsight