Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car insurance question

My son got an early Xmas present last night and I'm hoping someone clever in the insurance game can answer a question.

He was involved in a hit and run accident and his car took quite a hit to the side that has resulted in not just the four panels being damaged, the cill copped for it too. He is fine.

He went to a local garage to get a ball park figure to repair but was told it will probably be written off due to the damage to the cill.

The car is worth 12k according to we buy any car.
As a youngish driver, he is five days away from being able to protect his no claims so basically he has 0 years no claims, evidently you have to have four years claim free insurance before you can start to protect.

My question is by how much roughly will his premiums go up by as a percentage if he does have the car written off? He is 22, clean license and currently pays £44 per month for fully comp insurance. I have no idea myself.

There are some proper arseholes about 

Comments

• Hope your son is ok mate. Really nice lad if the one that looked after me up at Old Trafford a few years back and a credit to you.  
  • Hope your son is ok mate. Really nice lad if the one that looked after me up at Old Trafford a few years back and a credit to you.  
    That's decent of you to say and appreciated, he enjoyed that match with you.

He is ok, gone from shaken up last night to furious this morning. The police have just called and said there is nothing they can do, we have had a trip around the area it happened and the road he shot off on asking if anyone picked up something up on CCTV but no joy. He has had hundreds of shares on FB asking if anyone in the area had dash cam footage but again no joy as yet.
  • edited December 2021
    My son got an early Xmas present last night and I'm hoping someone clever in the insurance game can answer a question.

He was involved in a hit and run accident and his car took quite a hit to the side that has resulted in not just the four panels being damaged, the cill copped for it too. He is fine.

He went to a local garage to get a ball park figure to repair but was told it will probably be written off due to the damage to the cill.

As a youngish driver, he is five days away from being able to protect his no claims so basically he has 0 years no claims, evidently you have to have four years claim free insurance before you can start to protect.

My question is by how much roughly will his premiums go up by as a percentage if he does have the car written off? He is 22, clean license and currently pays £44 per month for fully comp insurance. I have no idea myself.

Sorry to hear about that, especially at Xmas time.

I did about 10k of damage to my brand new car in 2018, only had it around a week and went straight into the back of another van. Van in front barely took any damage at all and it was so old the owner didn't give a damn and said he didn't even want to give his details, was more concerned about whether I was OK (There are some very good people about, seems like your son unfortunately met a bit of a wrong'un in this case if they didn't even bother to stop and give details). It wasn't a write off like your son's although 10k was still a pretty heavy figure in comparison to what the car was worth.

With it being brand new I'd just paid for the insurance for the year about two weeks before, I chose to protect my new claims however there was a clause stating it wasnt protected for the first month of the policy so I lost about 8 years of no claims built up since I was 17.

Was dreading the renewal quote the year later as expected it to be off the charts but it actually went down not up. I even rang insurer's to double check they had the accident recorded in case they'd accidentally omitted it and woman on phone said they had and the figure was correct so the 10k of damage didn't seem to impact my premiums at all and never has since and neither has the loss of my no claims. Maybe if I still had the no claims I'd get my premiums even lower than I do now but they still go down year on year ever since the accident.

No idea if that's the norm or not or whether I've just been lucky but fingers crossed for your son.
  • The amount of the no claims bonus varies from insurer to insurer. The number of years you lose, even on a non-protected policy, also varies from insurer to insurer. You'll have to speak to the insurer or look in the policy document to get details of what your son's policy will do. Glad he's okay though. 
  • My son got an early Xmas present last night and I'm hoping someone clever in the insurance game can answer a question.

Sorry to hear about that, especially at Xmas time.

I did about 10k of damage to my brand new car in 2018, only had it around a week and went straight into the back of another van. Van in front barely took any damage at all and it was so old the owner didn't give a damn and said he didn't even want to give his details, was more concerned about whether I was OK (There are some very good people about, seems like your son unfortunately met a bit of a wrong'un in this case if they didn't even bother to stop and give details). It wasn't a write off like your son's although 10k was still a pretty heavy figure in comparison to what the car was worth.

With it being brand new I'd just paid for the insurance for the year about two weeks before, I chose to protect my new claims however there was a clause stating it wasnt protected for the first month of the policy so I lost about 8 years of no claims built up since I was 17.

Was dreading the renewal quote the year later as expected it to be off the charts but it actually went down not up. I even rang insurer's to double check they had the accident recorded in case they'd accidentally omitted it and woman on phone said they had and the figure was correct so the 10k of damage didn't seem to impact my premiums at all and never has since and neither has the loss of my no claims. Maybe if I still had the no claims I'd get my premiums even lower than I do now but they still go down year on year ever since the accident.

No idea if that's the norm or not or whether I've just been lucky but fingers crossed for your son.
    Cheers for that, your post has just cheered my son up!
  • Always found it baffling that if you’re at absolutely no fault in these kind of situations you get punished for it.
  • WSS said:
    Always found it baffling that if you’re at absolutely no fault in these kind of situations you get punished for it.
    To be fair, if it's a 'no fault' incident and the third party admits liability, the insurer will recover their outlay from the TP insurer and most insurers don't then clobber your no claims for it. Unfortunately in this case, as it's a hit and run, the insurer has no chance to recover their outlay. 
  • £44 per month for a 22 year old with no no claims sounds like a decent price in the first place. Hopefully it doesn’t go up too much.

W*nkers driving off like that, somebody did the same (thankfully much less damage) after hitting my car last November only 2 weeks after I got it, was effing fuming. 
  • Insurance rules are crazy, even if you have a no fault accident and the other party admits liability you are still required to inform your own insurance company and that accident will be taken into account when you get your renewal quote. If only a minor hit and run best to sort it yourself and don’t tell insurers. 
  • My insurance Company has refunded me £60 as my car usage over the past six months has drastically reduced.

No request from me, they just stuck the money into my bank account.
  • Sponsored links:

• You may find this of use https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver

Broadly, it seems a claim to the MIB is a possibility.
  • Insurance rules are crazy, even if you have a no fault accident and the other party admits liability you are still required to inform your own insurance company and that accident will be taken into account when you get your renewal quote. If only a minor hit and run best to sort it yourself and don’t tell insurers. 
    I know, it's like being the victim of a mugging and then getting punished for it
  • Check the value of the car because We Buy Any Car are shocking when it comes to pricing. I would suspect it probably worth in the region of £13,500 to £14,000. 
  • Check the value of the car because We Buy Any Car are shocking when it comes to pricing. I would suspect it probably worth in the region of £13,500 to £14,000. 
    Agreed, worth lookjng at auto trader for his car make and model of a similar reg to get a better price range.

• cafcfan said:
    You may find this of use https://www.gov.uk/compensation-victim-uninsured-driver

Broadly, it seems a claim to the MIB is a possibility.
    Not if he has comprehensive insurance.

It's very difficult to predict as every insurer is different, on bonus it used to be most only deducted 2 years so he may still have a year. As to how much they will load the premium is again a lottery based on insurer.

I was with Churchill when I had a £45k car stolen and never recovered, the other car stolen was found but has a fair few thousand of damage repairs. They didn't load the premium at all (much to my surprise).