Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

My favourite Christmas present

Comments

• Options
    Mid-late 1970s. Loved it.

• Options
    The one that stands out for me was the Corgi James Bond Lotus Esprit in ‘77. I knew I was getting it but was so excited when I opened it up. Can still remember the box artwork. Still have it now, although it was played to death back in the day. 
  • Options
    Mini Scalextrix back in the 70’s.
  • Options
    The one that stands out for me was the Corgi James Bond Lotus Esprit in ‘77. I knew I was getting it but was so excited when I opened it up. Can still remember the box artwork. Still have it now, although it was played to death back in the day. 
    I've got one, still boxed,never opened.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Back in the 70's as a young child, I was (I can't believe I'm admitting this) an Arsenal fan. I was so excited when I got the entire Arsenal (yellow & blue) kit and my brothers getting kits of their teams too. So after we'd finished opening all the presents, off we all dashed to play out our fantasies (mine being Liam Brady)....................................IN THE SNOW. Not a biggy, but at the time I felt top of the world.
  • Options
    Johnny Seven. Looked under the tree but there was nothing that would contain this large gun. My bottom lip dropped and I just trudged through my presents to get the job done and then go back to bed. But then the last box I opened was the Johnny Seven. It was dismantled and came in a smaller box. I couldn’t believe it and my measurement of happiness was off the scale. Then the onslaught began in the early hours of shooting down ballons and anything I could fire at. That high has never been repeated on Christmas Day. Oh happy days. 
  • Options
    Crossfire
    Big League (cheap version of Striker)
    Binatone tennis game
    Evil Knivel action figure
    These were the big ones I recall. Every year I also seemed to receive soap on a rope, spirograph, colouring felt tips, game compendium, etch a sketch, selection box and a football annual of some description. Happy days.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Born in 1970 for reference

70's Evel Knievel and Whirly Wheelers
    80's Astro Wars
    90's Sega Megadrvie

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also had a game in early 80's that I cannot remember the name of

Basically in centre of the board is a large funnel with a hole that goes down to a scoring area and you spin a large marble around the funnel.
    The players each have their own small marble, which fits down the hole in the bottom of the funnel.
    You have to release your marble, trying to time it so you are the last marble to swirl around and fall down the hole before the original larger marble blocks the hole.

First marble down scores 1 point, second down scores 2 pts etc with the aim being you have the balls of steel to release your marble last and gain maximum points without getting blocked and scoring Nil

If anyone remembers this game and the name would be very grateful

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

80's Astro Wars
    90's Sega Megadrvie

Completely forgot about Astro Wars, loved it. I think my mum still has mine at her place somewhere.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

80's Astro Wars
    90's Sega Megadrvie

Completely forgot about Astro Wars, loved it. I think my mum still has mine at her place somewhere.
    Same here , also forgot Merlin that red hand held game device that had loads of different games on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Subbuteo Stadium Edition and I wasn't expecting it which made it all the more special. Three orgasmic tiers of delight that was once everything a young boy wanted.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Basically in centre of the board is a large funnel with a hole that goes down to a scoring area and you spin a large marble around the funnel.
    The players each have their own small marble, which fits down the hole in the bottom of the funnel.
    You have to release your marble, trying to time it so you are the last marble to swirl around and fall down the hole before the original larger marble blocks the hole.

First marble down scores 1 point, second down scores 2 pts etc with the aim being you have the balls of steel to release your marble last and gain maximum points without getting blocked and scoring Nil

Beat the 8 ball?
  • Options
    My brother & I got cross fire for Christmas, when we opened it, it only had one gun.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Beat the 8 ball?
    Perfect  - I don't remember that being the name, but looking it up, that is definitely the game.
  • Options
    i think it was when we beat chelsea 4-2 on boxing day 
  • Options
    I had a version of crossfire with ww1 biplanes. Basically they were held up by a couple of slats which you had to shoot down. It was quite fun. I have looked for it but it seems very rare. Does anybody else remember it? Raving Bonkers was an exciting present but this was ruined by one of the Robots having a glass Jaw which would go up even if you weren't punched. 
  • Options
    A tangerine and a piece of coal.

Happy days!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What was the name with the magnetic bikes that went round the track I think they did one for racing horses as well, but the name eludes me!
  • Options
    What was the name with the magnetic bikes that went round the track I think they did one for racing horses as well, but the name eludes me!
    whirly wheelers
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    1. Just a plain red football shirt with a white V neck. No logos, no numbers, no name on the back. Age: 8
    2. Newfooty, the forerunner of Subbuteo
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    This was a bit naughty of me but I got this and noticed a weakness in my mum's wrapping and managed to open the side, got it out and played with it when alone before Christmas and closed it up so nobody noticed. I was pretty good at it by the time I officially opened it on Christmas day.

I had the same gift when i was a kid. 
    Around that time me and my brother got a small arcade table (about knee height) which had pac man, space invaders etc and other arcade games on. Unfortunately don't have it anymore. 

Edit: just looked on google and if i still had that arcade table I've seen similar tables that are going for over a grand and more nowadays
  • Options
    1986 - optimus prime. I would have been 5 
    1990 -  a bike, a bike that became my chariot to freedom until eventually the seat could be raised no more. Wasnt expensive but it had gears and I loved it, used to get me to school and back so quickly. I used it way beyond when I should have upsized and got myself an adult bike, rode it to my first few mickey mouse evening and Saturday jobs. In the end as it was French it had a few hard to get hold of replaceable parts it had to go and I got a second hand bike that again was my wheels until I passed my driving test. 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    This was a bit naughty of me but I got this and noticed a weakness in my mum's wrapping and managed to open the side, got it out and played with it when alone before Christmas and closed it up so nobody noticed. I was pretty good at it by the time I officially opened it on Christmas day.

I had the same gift when i was a kid. 
    Around that time me and my brother got a small arcade table (about knee height) which had pac man, space invaders etc and other arcade games on. Unfortunately don't have it anymore. 

Edit: just looked on google and if i still had that arcade table I've seen similar tables that are going for over a grand and more nowadays
    It was basically a pattern learning game, but challenging enough to be fun even when you knew where the Cylons would attack from. If anybody harkens back to old arcade games, you can play them on your laptop. It isn't too hard when you know how and all you need is a usb joypad. Happy to advise if anybody wants to know how to do it.