Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What club game have you watched in stadium that had the most WC winners in it?

Back in 1999 i went with a friend who is a Chelsea fan (shhh don't tell anyone) to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea play Barcelona in the QF 1st leg.

To this day it is one of only 8 English/European professional games i have ever watched live in stadium (I have lived in NZ for 38 of my 46 years on this planet):

- 1982/3 Coventry v Nott Forest 4-3, Coventry v Liverpool - 0-0
- 2001-2 four Charlton games (QPR (fa cup), Derby, Aston Villa, Man U)
- 1989 - Brentford v Reading (can't remember the score, don't care)
- 1999 - Chelsea Barcelona (3-1)

To make Man U fans i know over here jealous i tend to mention the Man U personnel i saw play Charlton  that day... Van Nis, Keane, Becks, Giggs, OGS, Butt, Scholes, Bartez, Blanc, Nevilles x 2 etc..

Likewise with the Coventry Liverpool game i like to name drop Grobbelaar, Dalgleish, Rush, Souness, Whelan, Hansen, Lawrenson, Kennedy, Johnson etc..

But i looked up who played that Chelsea Barca game last night and realised there were some epic names in that game as well. I counted five, FIVE world cup winners across the two teams Desailly, Deschamp, Rivaldo, Xavi, Puyol. And then there were also stars like Figo, Zola, Kluivert, Litmanen.

Who can think of a club game they have watched live in which more World Cup winners featured? I am sure someone will have (its not a competition ;) )

I just feel very fortunate from so few games to have seen so many legends.

Merry Christmas all

Comments

• Many years ago my dad took me to Upton Park to watch West Ham v Man Utd - United won 6-1 securing the title so must have been 1967? World Cup winners on show were Moore, Peters and Hurst whilst United had Charlton and Stiles. 
  • edited December 2021
    Probably Milan v Juve in 2007, I think 10 starting - Dida, Nesta, Oddo, Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Kaka; Buffon, Iaquinta, Trezeguet - then Del Piero coming on: https://www.transfermarkt.com/ac-milan_juventus-fc/index/spielbericht/84048
  • I had to look it up....Aston Villa v Juventus 1983. Zoff, Scirea, Cabrini, Gentile, Tardelli, Rossi. (6)

Add in Boniek and Platini, plus Bonini, Brio and Bettega, and that's a proper team. Yet they lost in the European Cup Final to Hamburg.
  • Bayern had 7 or 8 players in the 2014 winning squad so imagine a few of their games would be up there. 
  • Tutt-Tutt said:
    I had to look it up....Aston Villa v Juventus 1983. Zoff, Scirea, Cabrini, Gentile, Tardelli, Rossi. (6)

Add in Boniek and Platini, plus Bonini, Brio and Bettega, and that's a proper team. Yet they lost in the European Cup Final to Hamburg.
    That's one hell of an Aston Villa team, glory days.
  • Anyone that went to the 98 world cup final would have seem a few... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone that went to the 98 world cup final would have seem a few... 
    "Club game", @Cafc43v3r

There is always one (usually me). 

• 11 - European cup final 03 Milan v Juve

• 11 - European cup final 03 Milan v Juve
    Not good enough - names please :smiley:
  • edited December 2021
    UEFA Champions League Quarter Final.

Wednesday 23rd April 2003.

Man Utd 4 - 3 Real Madrid.

Surprisingly only 4 World Cup winners on the pitch (bold italics).

Also a winner on the bench (Blanc), a runner up on the pitch (Makelele) and a World Cup referee thrown in for good measure.  

Man Utd: Barthez, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Brown, Silvestre (Phil Neville 79), Veron (Beckham 63), Butt, Keane (Fortune 82), van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Solskjaer.
    Subs Not Used: Ricardo, Blanc, Forlan, Fletcher.

Booked: Veron, Fortune.

Real Madrid: Casillas, Salgado, Hierro, Helguera, Carlos, Zidane, McManaman (Portillo 69), Figo (Pavon 88), Makelele, Ronaldo (Solari 67), Guti.
    Subs Not Used: Cesar, Morientes, Flavio, Cambiasso.

Booked: Figo.

Attendance: 66,708.

Referee: Pierluigi Collina (Italy).

• Sponsored links:

• UEFA Champions League Quarter Final.

Also a winner on the bench (Blanc), a runner up on the pitch (Makelele) and a World Cup referee thrown in for good measure.  

Man Utd: Barthez, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Brown, Silvestre (Phil Neville 79), Veron (Beckham 63), Butt, Keane (Fortune 82), van Nistelrooy, Giggs, Solskjaer.

Real Madrid: Casillas, Salgado, Hierro, Helguera, Carlos, Zidane, McManaman (Portillo 69), Figo (Pavon 88), Makelele, Ronaldo (Solari 67), Guti.

Was at that game. Casillas was a World Cup winner in 2010

You are right....thanks.

One of those games that you can claim to have been at...
  • Ok @KiwiValley its a busy day at mill so…

Milan v Juve ‘03
    Italy 06 -
    Juve - Buffon, camoranesi, Zambrotta, Del Piero
    Milan- Gattuso & Pirlo
    Nesta & Inzaghi in Italy squad
    Brazil 02
    Milan- Junior
    Dida in Brazil Squad 
    Rivaldo on the bench in this game
    France 98
    Juve - Thuram
    Trezeguet in France squad

Also Lippi managed Italy to World Cup glory and Ferrara was an assistant

8 played in this game, and played in and won a World Cup final
    further 4 played in the game are World Cup winners as part of a squad
    1 sat on the bench but played in and won a World Cup final
    2 were part of a World Cup winning management team

You are right....thanks.

Great game. Standing ovation for Ronaldo from entire ground.
  • Charlton v Rotherham, September 2015. 1 - Alou Diarra.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    That would be me then !  :D

You are right....thanks.

Great game. Standing ovation for Ronaldo from entire ground.
    One of the best individual performances i've seen from a footballer. The GOAT.
  • Buglehorn said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    That would be me then !  :D
    Sorry @KiwiValley but it was a game where I think almost everyone that played in it have won a world cup. 
  • Back in 1999 i went with a friend who is a Chelsea fan (shhh don't tell anyone) to Stamford Bridge to watch Chelsea play Barcelona in the QF 1st leg.

To this day it is one of only 8 English/European professional games i have ever watched live in stadium (I have lived in NZ for 38 of my 46 years on this planet):

- 1982/3 Coventry v Nott Forest 4-3, Coventry v Liverpool - 0-0
    - 2001-2 four Charlton games (QPR (fa cup), Derby, Aston Villa, Man U)
    - 1989 - Brentford v Reading (can't remember the score, don't care)
    - 1999 - Chelsea Barcelona (3-1)

To make Man U fans i know over here jealous i tend to mention the Man U personnel i saw play Charlton  that day... Van Nis, Keane, Becks, Giggs, OGS, Butt, Scholes, Bartez, Blanc, Nevilles x 2 etc..

Likewise with the Coventry Liverpool game i like to name drop Grobbelaar, Dalgleish, Rush, Souness, Whelan, Hansen, Lawrenson, Kennedy, Johnson etc..

But i looked up who played that Chelsea Barca game last night and realised there were some epic names in that game as well. I counted five, FIVE world cup winners across the two teams Desailly, Deschamp, Rivaldo, Xavi, Puyol. And then there were also stars like Figo, Zola, Kluivert, Litmanen.

Who can think of a club game they have watched live in which more World Cup winners featured? I am sure someone will have (its not a competition ;) )

I just feel very fortunate from so few games to have seen so many legends.

Merry Christmas all

Oh and Guardiola played for Barcelona that night... he went on to become half decent as a coach.