Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The repair shop

edited December 2021 in Not Sports Related
So then, anyone else watch this and do you have a favourite repair or worst  repai?

Personally my favourites are the musical instrument, automation peeps and worth a shout out to leather work Susie: 

Your turn 😂

Comments

• Options
    What a show.

these items have so much meaning and value to them and the team do some mind blowing work.

stuff means stuff. 
  • Options
    It's probably the best thing on TV.  The old army guy who brought in that stick with metal ball on the end was my favourite person but there are so many great ones!
  • Options
    One of the best programmes on tv at the mo...
  • Options
    It’s crap.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    It’s crap.
    Agreed.

And the twat who hosts it and paints one chair leg a different colour from the other three legs gets an MBE. The bloke wears the newest, unmarked, leather apron I've ever seen, week after week.
  • Options
    It's great.

The outdoor museum it is filmed at is well worth a visit too.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    iainment said:
    It’s crap.
    Agreed.

And the twat who hosts it and paints one chair leg a different colour from the other three legs gets an MBE. The bloke wears the newest, unmarked, leather apron I've ever seen, week after week.
    I do like Jays leather apron, very expensive for standing around in. He will never wear that out presenting and not doing. That will never need the skills of Suzie Fletcher.
    I wished I had thought of it a bit earlier, the leather apron. That would have been a nice Christmas present from the wife to me.

The program is obviously dumbed down for TV, for instance, any machining on the lathe they show, generally isn't really any machining, its just a filler to camera. Repairing paintings take a bit longer than implied and again the bits they show are just to give a bit of insight. I think the program is more about the story of the owners and their bits and bobs rather than any serious restoration.  

I do actually like some of the restorations they do. Most, virtually all, are just pieces with just sentimental value but I watched one the other day I thought was a beautiful piece of furniture. A metal rocking chair from the Great Exhibition of 1850 something. They stripped it back to its frame restored that, ( Jay actually did a little bit of assisting Dominic), cast some brass nuts and reupholstered the frame in leather as per original. One of the few things I would give house room.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure about the Repair Shop, but the one where the constipated woman lurks around the local dump, intercepting stuff people are supposedly chucking out, then getting a couple if university drop our to stick a couple of 6' screws in and and cover it in chalk paint, aunt my cuppa tea
    the worst thing about that is the person chucking it gets the the profits from the sale, some mook then charges £600 to rub down and varnish a dresser giving the person a profit of £12 

• Options
    Will the woodworker is just a genius I just want to see someone take a french dresser or something and say it was a tree please make it back to a tree !!! Jay Blades is just a ponce in a leather apron, Sussie and her leather working is a skill, the doll repairer ladies do my head in but Steve and his mechanical works is also good its a good 45 mins whilst waiting for food to cook the wife loves it !
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Not sure about the Repair Shop, but the one where the constipated woman lurks around the local dump, intercepting stuff people are supposedly chucking out, then getting a couple if university drop our to stick a couple of 6' screws in and and cover it in chalk paint, aunt my cuppa tea
    the worst thing about that is the person chucking it gets the the profits from the sale, some mook then charges £600 to rub down and varnish a dresser giving the person a profit of £12 

I get what you are saying but on a serious note, making one offs however crap they turn out is bloody expensive. 

Not many Audi owners complain of a £700 service when actually all thats been done is an oil change, boxes ticked on a check list  and maybe a quick wash with a dirty sponge.

Crafts people should be looked up to not down on.
  • Options
    it’s a shame the program wasn’t about 15 years ago then we could’ve sent them Cory Gibbs.
    not sure it would’ve made the cut though.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Just remember her giving some ultra posh, 7 foot tall chinless wonder a stool to "do up". To fix the wobbly leg, he literally stuck a 6' screw through the seat in the leg.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

I get what you are saying but on a serious note, making one offs however crap they turn out is bloody expensive. 

Not many Audi owners complain of a £700 service when actually all thats been done is an oil change, boxes ticked on a check list  and maybe a quick wash with a dirty sponge.

Amen - But it's not until you try and make a living out if it, good people like yourself are few and far between
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Amen - But it's not until you try and make a living out if it, good people like yourself are few and far between
    I would say £20-30/h is not an over the top rate, add in a few over heads and materials and a kit of tools. Then the "simple" wooden object becomes impossible to make. Also make one mistake and your making the replacement for nothing. A very tuff gig indeed and respect to those who can, (not me, I'm more of a metal basher by trade).

What people pay for hand made furniture; https://www.davidlinley.com/collections/desks. A tad out of my wallet.

• Options
    This is my Instagram - jotunn_furniture

I don't bother updating it because I do more home renovating and I'm also trying get house done and on the market, but it's some ill update and pursue once back in blightu
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

I would say £20-30/h is not an over the top rate, add in a few over heads and materials and a kit of tools. Then the "simple" wooden object becomes impossible to make. Also make one mistake and your making the replacement for nothing. A very tuff gig indeed and respect to those who can, (not me, I'm more of a metal basher by trade).

What people pay for hand made furniture; https://www.davidlinley.com/collections/desks. A tad out of my wallet.

I recently watched a YouTube video re' pricing, and the fella reckons he charges £80 n hour, he charges for estimates and asks for 100% money upfront. He also said his estimate goes up depending on if he thinks the client is worth more. He's only been going 2 years, he'll soon find.

My comment under the video was deleted, but there was loads of people piling in
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Chizz said:
    Addickted said:
    iainment said:
    It’s crap.
    Agreed.

It's crap, but you watch it every week, take careful note of the work of the costume department and follow news about the main character? 
    I've seen it about four times as the missus loves it. Difficult to miss the 'lead' character.

The bloke stands round with his top button done up, his unused leather apron and waffles on how brilliant some of the craftsmen are. No doubting they are, but what does he add? Other than his nice shining MBE for what he's done sod all for.

And tell me, what do you want me to do when I'm stuck at home virtually 24/7?. I suppose there's always some garden project to bore my tits off. Your ramblings can only give me a certain amount of entertainment - at least Ronnie Moore makes me laugh.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Gribbo said:
    This is my Instagram - jotunn_furniture

I don't bother updating it because I do more home renovating and I'm also trying get house done and on the market, but it's some ill update and pursue once back in blightu
     What We, Addicks, Make section rather that House of Rants would be nice but probably a little too smaller group.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Chizz said:
    Addickted said:
    iainment said:
    It’s crap.
    Agreed.

It's crap, but you watch it every week, take careful note of the work of the costume department and follow news about the main character? 
    I've seen it about four times as the missus loves it. Difficult to miss the 'lead' character.

The bloke stands round with his top button done up, his unused leather apron and waffles on how brilliant some of the craftsmen are. No doubting they are, but what does he add? Other than his nice shining MBE for what he's done sod all for.

And tell me, what do you want me to do when I'm stuck at home virtually 24/7?. I suppose there's always some garden project to bore my tits off. Your ramblings can only give me a certain amount of entertainment - at least Ronnie Moore makes me laugh.

You can be forgiven for being a bit grumpy now and again mate…..that’s not your usual way of things, I find it quite funny as a matter of fact.
  • Options
    The owners' stories are often interesting, but I would prefer to see more detail on the restorations. 
    Sanitised telly with too much emphasis on entertainment for me, so now I rarely watch it. 
  • Options
    Started watching this programme at the beginning of the first lock down when it moved into the Wednesday 8pm slot from the afternoon. Very much like the enthusiasm and skill on show from decent, likeable people who happen to have mastered some of the traditional arts and crafts. Always fascinated by the myriad types of cleaning fluids, glues and paints they have to hand.

Jay with the leather apron is ok as the host presenter and fixer. What does stick in the craw a bit is the increasingly sob filled back stories connected to the bric a brac and junk that people bring to the shop. All that increasingly mawkish sentimentality makes one wonder how many of the reconstituted 'beloved' family heirlooms end up on eBay? 
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Mr Tatters watches it and loves it as he's into wood carving and other crafts.
    I watch it entirely to look at Steve. I want that guy.
    I love watching woodturning videos on youtube @Arsenetatters,  if Mr Tatters hasn't already found it, may be worth a look, absolutely fascinating how they turn an old yew root or the like into a wonderful bowl or lamp etc, give it a go..
  • Options
    I love watching woodturning videos on youtube @Arsenetatters,  if Mr Tatters hasn't already found it, may be worth a look, absolutely fascinating how they turn an old yew root or the like into a wonderful bowl or lamp etc, give it a go..
    I'll let him know as I don't think he's seen them.
    He's mainly into hand carving stuff. His latest project was turning an old bit of Thames breakwater (teak) into a bowl with grapes carved into the wood. He's also done a large teak hen. I do moan about him a lot but he's not a bad old boy really.
  • Options
    Think I'll take myself along, I'm falling apart at the seams. 
  • Options
    I'll let him know as I don't think he's seen them.
    He's mainly into hand carving stuff. His latest project was turning an old bit of Thames breakwater (teak) into a bowl with grapes carved into the wood. He's also done a large teak hen. I do moan about him a lot but he's not a bad old boy really.

Sounds like a talented guy, it's wonderful working with wood and seeing something evolve from almost nothing, sure he would enjoy the videos.. B)