Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Full Beam Car Headlights

The last few weeks I have noticed more that oncoming drivers are not turning off their full beam soon enough and I’m constantly being blinded and then having to curse and rant at them. This also applies to cars behind me whose headlights are dazzling me in the rear view mirror. Then today my wife made an interesting observation. Is this because cars now have automatic full beam and so it’s not the drivers fault but the car not turning them off quickly enough or not at all. Just interested in peoples thoughts and whether this has become an issue for them too?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Dave Rudd said:

Some cars sit higher than others.  
    As does @LargeAddick's....😄.

I agree it's the Xenon headlights but I haven't noticed too many being on full beam. 

I've also noticed less street lights being on or the street lights not being as bright as before. I know some councils had a policy if turning them off after midnight to save money or having less on. 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

As does @LargeAddick's....😄
    I was in the mini 🤐
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

As does @LargeAddick's....😄
    I was in the mini 🤐

• Options
    What confuses me is that halogen headlights work fine with the right balance between illumination and lack of interference for other drivers, so why do manufacturers change to these Xenon and HID ones? Is it just because they can?
  • Options
    I drive two cars, a private car and a company car - they both have automatic Xenon headlights. I live in the sticks and main beam is essential due to narrow lanes and almost non-existent street lights. If they were manual I could not react as quickly as they do to dip when there is either oncoming cars or I am behind another car and it also avoids forgetting to dip them. They work perfectly.

Both cars also have speed limit sensors and the main beam is never triggered when in a 30mph zone.

In my view all cars should be fitted with auto headlights.
  • Options
    In the main, the problem is that because they are bright, your eyes are drawn towards them. My tip is just don't look at them. It works. You are not rabbits.

Halogen is dead technology. (As evidenced by the ban on their sale for domestic use.) My assumption is that xenon will go the same way.

LEDs are great. My car has adaptive matrix LED headlights. They offer 200% greater field of vision than halogen lights. They also turn corners with you and respond to other road users to avoid dazzling them. The reaction time is less than 2 seconds for a vehicle between 100 and 800 metres away, and less than 1.25 seconds for any vehicle or person within 100-metres.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Indeed and the amount of cars going about with one headlight out is ridiculous. Go to Halford's they charge you a fiver for fitting them if you cant be arsed.

On a side note i have been in Kent all week visiting family, i cant believe the standard of driving in the Medway and north Kent area in general.

Everyone is in a rush to get everywhere, everyone rides up your arse, nearly everyone is in the wrong lane at roundabouts trying to cheat the queues, no-one has the courtesy to let you out, they flash you if you arnt breaking the speed limit.

Too many cars in that area and its too over populated. Try circumventing Dartford area at either end of the rush hour.

Thought the M3 and M25 was bad enough but nothing compared to the A2 and surrounding area's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Indeed and the amount of cars going about with one headlight out is ridiculous. Go to Halford's they charge you a fiver for fitting them if you cant be arsed.

On a side note i have been in Kent all week visiting family, i cant believe the standard of driving in the Medway and north Kent area in general.

Everyone is in a rush to get everywhere, everyone rides up your arse, nearly everyone is in the wrong lane at roundabouts trying to cheat the queues, no-one has the courtesy to let you out, they flash you if you arnt breaking the speed limit.

Too many cars in that area and its too over populated. Try circumvented Dartford area at ether end of the rush hour.

Thought the M3 and M25 was bad enough but nothing compared to the A2 and surrounding area's.
    I see the type of driving you describe all the time. Idiots weave in and out in heavy traffic just so they can reach the next set of traffic lights five seconds earlier.

It does amaze me there aren't more accidents.
  • Options

Too many cars in that area and its too over populated. Try circumvented Dartford area at ether end of the rush hour.

I see the type of driving you describe all the time. Idiots weave in and out in heavy traffic just so they can reach the next set of traffic lights five seconds earlier.

It does amaze me there aren't more accidents.
    Agreed, twice this week there was accidents near the M25 and A2 interchange, the lower road as i call it, was closed in Greenhithe due to a hit and run and all the traffic was diverted in and around Darenth hospital.

Its got to the point where my sister who lives in Dartford is now getting the train to Gravesend where i can pick her up, rather than me drive up the A2 as its much quicker.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I drive two cars, a private car and a company car - they both have automatic Xenon headlights. I live in the sticks and main beam is essential due to narrow lanes and almost non-existent street lights. If they were manual I could not react as quickly as they do to dip when there is either oncoming cars or I am behind another car and it also avoids forgetting to dip them. They work perfectly.

Both cars also have speed limit sensors and the main beam is never triggered when in a 30mph zone.

In my view all cars should be fitted with auto headlights.
    I too live in the sticks and so use full beam more than others may do and may be why I notice this issue more than others. That yours work properly is good but I believe many do not.
  • Options

Too many cars in that area and its too over populated. Try circumventing Dartford area at either end of the rush hour.

I'm glad someone who lives outside of Medway has said this. Sevenoaks is the other worst place for driving standards, nobody let's you out, Chelsea tractors everywhere. 

It would blow my mind when I worked out of South London, I think everyone accepts in London if there is a gap you take it and by and large whilst being a bit frantic everyone accepts the method of driving, I'd spend a day driving round there and come back to Medway to discover people were more keen to have an accident than in somewhere like Streatham.

Medway and Maidstone are insane, as you say people driving up your arse to get 1 car length ahead, roundabout discipline is non existent and courtesy is also a complete afterthought 
  • Options
    Carter said:

I'm glad someone who lives outside of Medway has said this. Sevenoaks is the other worst place for driving standards, nobody let's you out, Chelsea tractors everywhere. 

It would blow my mind when I worked out of South London, I think everyone accepts in London if there is a gap you take it and by and large whilst being a bit frantic everyone accepts the method of driving, I'd spend a day driving round there and come back to Medway to discover people were more keen to have an accident than in somewhere like Streatham.

Medway and Maidstone are insane, as you say people driving up your arse to get 1 car length ahead, roundabout discipline is non existent and courtesy is also a complete afterthought 
    I think a lot of what you say now applies in a lot of places. Down here in East Sussex there are a lot of elderly drivers so the issue is more parking, not indicating, stopping at roundabouts when there is nothing coming etc. Driving standards have definitely declined over the last couple of decades.
  • Options
    Some of the worst driving I've seen is on the A12 from the Redbridge roundabout to the Blackwall Tunnel - some of it is utterly crazy. 
  • Options
    Carter said:

I think a lot of what you say now applies in a lot of places. Down here in East Sussex there are a lot of elderly drivers so the issue is more parking, not indicating, stopping at roundabouts when there is nothing coming etc. Driving standards have definitely declined over the last couple of decades.
    I agree with the older generation, but they need an extra second or two just to make a better judgment before making their next move.

I have an engineer who is 51 and hes always moaning about the people in front of him doing 40/45 in a 50 which is the speed of most of the roads from his home to work. I ask whats wrong with that, he forgets in a few years time that will be him doing it especially at night.
  • Options
    Im with @LargeAddick on this, probably an age thing but I've noticed a lot this year. Also seems to be a lot of tailgating, one incident where I was on the receivibg end of road rage for not going fast in a narrow country lane
  • Options
    Carter said:

I agree with the older generation, but they need an extra second or two just to make a better judgment before making their next move.

I have an engineer who is 51 and hes always moaning about the people in front of him doing 40/45 in a 50 which is the speed of most of the roads from his home to work. I ask whats wrong with that, he forgets in a few years time that will be him doing it especially at night.

Agreed.

Also so many drivers believe that a 50mph limit means it's compulsory to drive at 50 and anyone driving below that is a bad driver. It's a maximum permitted speed limit, not the minimum! Drive to suit the road conditions not the speed limit.

Maybe I'm getting old, maybe it's getting wiser, and maybe because I stopped driving BMWs a couple of years ago!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some of the worst driving I've seen is on the A12 from the Redbridge roundabout to the Blackwall Tunnel - some of it is utterly crazy. 

100% - that roundabout is like wacky races at times.
  • Options
    Im with @LargeAddick on this, probably an age thing but I've noticed a lot this year. Also seems to be a lot of tailgating, one incident where I was on the receivibg end of road rage for not going fast in a narrow country lane
    As some of the other posters, i live out in the sticks and we have a lot of deer crossing the roads, i have had a few near misses and luckily was going at a moderate speed to avoid the incidents, but as you state tailgaters dont take this into consideration even though several times a year they must witness a dead creature on the side of the road, usually with their off spring next to them...but it wont change their driving habits.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I have to pass by the local shop every evening after exercising our last two dogs, obviously at this time of year it’s dark early at to say we have minimal street lighting is an understatement. So everyone will park with all their lights on, headlights, fog lights and sometimes hazards for that added effect and on both sides of the road making it a single track, I’ve had a couple of near misses where people have their doors open putting in shopping and can’t see them. It’s like a drive thru Jean Micheal Jarre concert for the over 60s FFS
  • Options
    Many years ago when having my driving lessons I used to drive around all the time with full beam on, not realising in my youthful ignorance and stupidity that it was against the rules of the road. Any time it was dark I'd switch the full beam on and then just leave it on for the duration of the lesson.

This must have happened for at least 6-8 lessons before my instructor finally realised and gave me a telling off. To this day I've still no idea how he didn't realise or why more people didn't flash me.

• Options
    I've noticed an increase in tailgating too, I've had similar happen to me on a country lane.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    I think that bright car head lights definitely affect people more as they get older. When I was younger I would never have believed that I would say that I don't like driving at night, but I do now. 

On the point about driving standards in Kent, I thoroughly agree that things have got worse. Overdevelopment in Kent without improvements in road infrastructure has created the mess that is the roads in Kent.  Hardly a day goes by without one of the motorways having at least one bad accident. 

Getting around Maidstone and Medway has never been easy, but the huge increase in population, caused by so many housing developments has made the situation far worse. 

I do think that congestion could be reduced if people moved off a bit quicker at traffic lights. People do not seem to anticipate a change in lights and take ages to get going. If I'm at the head of a queue I get myself ready to move off as soon as they change. I don't jump the lights or exceed the speed limit, but often I find myself about 200 metres up a road before the next person has started moving.

I also find it annoying when drivers leave huge gaps between their vehicle and the one on front, when there are long queues stretching back past several junctions.  
  • Options
    Charlton Life problems!
  • Options
    I think that bright car head lights definitely affect people more as they get older. When I was younger I would never have believed that I would say that I don't like driving at night, but I do now. 

On the point about driving standards in Kent, I thoroughly agree that things have got worse. Overdevelopment in Kent without improvements in road infrastructure has created the mess that is the roads in Kent.  Hardly a day goes by without one of the motorways having at least one bad accident. 

Getting around Maidstone and Medway has never been easy, but the the huge increase in population, caused by so many housing developments has made the situation far worse. 

I do think that congestion could be reduced if people moved off a bit quicker at traffic lights. People do not seem to anticipate a change in lights and take ages to get going. If I'm at the head of a queue I get myself ready to move off as soon as they change. I don't jump the lights or exceed the speed limit, but often I find myself about 200 metres up a road before the next person has started moving.

I also find it annoying when drivers leave huge gaps between their vehicle and the one on front, when there are long queues stretching back past several junctions.  

The issue with traffic lights is the opposite of your last point. People queue at traffic lights too close to the car in front - you should be able to see the bottom of the car in front's tyres. Too close and the car in front has to pull away before the car behind can move - staying a little bit back allows the car behind to move at the same time as the car in front avoiding the concertina effect.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Getting around Maidstone and Medway has never been easy, but the the huge increase in population, caused by so many housing developments has made the situation far worse. 

The issue with traffic lights is the opposite of your last point. People queue at traffic lights too close to the car in front - you should be able to see the bottom of the car in front's tyres. Too close and the car in front has to pull away before the car behind can move - staying a little bit back allows the car behind to move at the same time as the car in front avoiding the concertina effect.
    I did say 'huge' gaps and I meant in the context of long queues where people leave many car lengths between themselves and the car in front. It's incredibly frustrating to look at the big gaps and know that you could turn off, if only the gap size was reduced.

There is no excuse for moving off so slowly, many a time I see people crawling away from traffic lights, resulting in only a few vehicles getting through before the lights change again.