Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Another way to cross the river today.

The new tunnel under the Thames being dug for the DLR station at Woolwich is due to break through this morning.

Another nail in the coffin of an independent South London. ;-(

Comments

• Or a means for the inmates of Woolwich to escape.
  • where abouts in woolwich is the station gonna be ?
    is the same place as woolwich arsenal or somewere else
  • [cite]Posted By: eeladdick[/cite]where abouts in woolwich is the station gonna be ?
    is the same place as woolwich arsenal or somewere else

just behind Woolwich Arsenal station I think. Certainly the traffic in Burrage rd is held up by sinking shafts etc.

Not sure if the rail station and DLR station are linked.
  • They are. The DLR station will be where or behind where the Pullman pub was.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]They are. The DLR station will be where or behind where the Pullman pub was.

Good for my birthplace. Better transport to London City Airport, Canary Wharf and the City has to be good for employment and people commuting into Woolwich will hopefully spend some money and boost local shops.

Any news on the army closing Chelsea barracks and moving the squadies back to Woolwich. More spending and more potential fans at the Valley.
  • People won't commute into Woolwich, though. They'll be getting out of it.

Estate agents are excited, because it'll be easier for Canary Wharf workers. And more Foxtons minis for the rest of us to throw stones at.

It's done Lewisham good, but I'm not sure that a single stop south of the river's going to be as good for Woolwich.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]People won't commute into Woolwich, though. They'll be getting out of it.

Estate agents are excited, because it'll be easier for Canary Wharf workers. And more Foxtons minis for the rest of us to throw stones at.

It's done Lewisham good, but I'm not sure that a single stop south of the river's going to be as good for Woolwich.

May been people busing or driving into Woolwich and then getting on the DLR. These people may shop or drink in Woolwich. Hard to think of Woolwich being yuppified but you never know with all the building on the old Arsenal site.
  • edited July 2007
    It's definitely yuppified behind that brick wall around the Arsenal. The residents will have a fit when the wall comes down.
  • it could all change when the tesco gets going on the peggy middleton site.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]It's definitely yuppified behind that brick wall around the Arsenal. The residents will have a fit when the wall comes down.

Is the wall not listed? It was built by convicts living on the hulks in the centre of the river before being shipped off to Aus.

When I see a wine bar on Beresford Square then I'll believe that it is yuppified.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]it could all change when the tesco gets going on the peggy middleton site.

When all the smaller shops are driven out by it?

The wall can't be listed, they knocked a bit of it down in the 80s anyway.
  • edited July 2007
    Good point.
  • [cite]Posted By: InspectorSands[/cite]When all the smaller shops are driven out by it?

i will miss those pound shops.
  • People might miss the market, though.

And the butcher's. And the baker's. And the clothes shops.

And then there'll be even more pound shops. And a big empty space where there used to be a market.
  • Woolwich is a khazi - FACT!
  • Tell me about it. Had an appointment in woolwich yesterday afternoon, came away feeling terribly depressed. The people look grey and worn down with misery. okay im sure not everyone is miserable who lives there and nice to see the market still thriving.

Had a nice latte in the Gunfire cafe tho but then a miserable walk along the riverfront in the drizzling rain. god this weather is shite house!
  • Have to laugh at the thought of speculators buying 'yuppied flats' in the Woolwich's vast array of 'deluxe' high rise..