Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread (+Post p23): Gateshead vs Charlton | FA Cup 2nd Round | Fri 3rd Dec 2021, 7.45pm

edited December 2021 in General Charlton
It was touch and go to get home just in time to write the Match Thread, having driven for more than an hour from Padstow in horrible conditions in the pissing Cornish rain. But I made it. Now I'm trusting that Johnny Jackson and co are just as fired up to make it through to meet the Big Boys in the next round.

BANANA SKIN ALERT! Most of us still shudder remembering that wretched Northwich Victoria cup tie. We need to well heed the fact that The Heeds will be well up for this one. To some, Charlton Athletic is a big scalp.

Good news that Ryan Inniss is out training on grass - but for him and Jason Pearce, this match comes too soon. Leeeeeeko is back in the squad but lacking match fitness, but I'm expecting a strong line up, augmented by a couple of fringe players/prospects. 

Four changes:

Charlton: Henderson; Clare, Elerewe, Famewo; Jaiyesimi, Gilbey, Dobson, Lee, Purrington; Stockley (c), Washington

Subs: MacGillivray, Gunter, Souaré, Arter, Watson, Morgan, Kirk, Leko, Davison

Remember, live on telly ITV4 , but no Charlton TV coverage as per the televised rules.

COYR!

Comments

• Options
    We'll have a bench of nine players tonight so expect Jackson to basically select anyone he can - Five changes will be allowed, yet like the League last season can only make them during three stoppages
  • Options
    We'll have a bench of nine players tonight so expect Jackson to basically select anyone he can - Five changes will be allowed, yet like the League last season can only make them during three stoppages
    Is that rules for every round?
  • Options
    edited December 2021

The pitch is a long way from the stand and terraces!

Going to be a challenge for our hard-travelling faithful to make an atmosphere.

• Options
    Is that rules for every round?
    Pretty sure it is
  • Options
    Full strength side with perhaps the exception of Henderson in goal and Elerewe in the back line.
  • Options
    Jesus thats the first team apart from Henderson. 

Jackson isnt pissing about is he. 

Although bit risky with Ipswich to come on Tuesday 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thats about the strongest team available. I hope we blow them away.
  • Options
    That’s a strong lineup 
  • Options
    I'm happy to get called out come FT, but there is gonna be no Cupset for ITV tonight!!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    ————Henderson

—Clare - Elerewe - Famewo

Jaiyesimi - Dobson - Purrington

————Gilbey - Lee

——Stockley - Washington

Subs: MacGillivray, Gunter, Morgan, Leko, Kirk, Arter, Davison, Watson, Souare
  • Options
    Well that is as strong as is possible. I imagine the theory is to make subs when comfortable with a view to Tuesday. That is the theory!!!!
  • Options
    Wearing Red tonight. Win incoming.

Nothing else to say
  • Options
    Gateshead: Chapman, Tinkler, Williamson, Storey, Nicholson, Bailey, Ward, Olley, Campbell, Scott, Langstaff

Subs: Hunter, Blackett, Williams, Pani, Wombwell, Jacob
  • Options
    Williamson cant help but play himself
  • Options
    I see we are not bothered about Henderson being cup tied then...🙂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No CBT….
  • Options
    Williamson cant help but play himself
    I'm fairly certain he is a regular starter in the league too. Not as if he's put himself in for the "glamour" tie against the giants of Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Agree. Respects the oppo and the competition. And after all, £34,000 is £34,000!
  • Options
    Wearing Red tonight. Win incoming.

Nothing else to say
    should always play in red when possible
  • Options
    Jesus thats the first team apart from Henderson. 

Jackson isnt pissing about is he. 

Although bit risky with Ipswich to come on Tuesday 
    In my opinion it's the way it should always be.

Begin the match with the first XI (near as possible), put the tie to bed as soon as we can, then start subbing off the important people for Tuesday's game against Dipswich.

Playing a second XI and possibly having to chase the game later to avoid embarrassment is always a recipe for disaster and shows scant respect for the competition.

Instead, start big, get the job done ... and then start resting players.
    The five sub rule probably helps clubs take it more seriously... As Mutley says, we basically get to show respect to the competition, aim to get the job done, then we can replace half the squad with Tuesday in mind.
  • Options
    I'd guess Burstow's still feeling whatever caused him to be subbed on Tuesday.
  • Options
    No CBT….
    Good spot, Prague. I hadn't noticed.

@PragueAddick
  • Options
    I say bollocks to defending, attack as much as possible, but stay onside.