Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gateshead vs Charlton | FA Cup 2nd Round | Friday 3rd December 2021, 7.45pm | Match Preview

Date: 3rd December 2021, 7.45pm k/o Live on ITV4
Competition: FA Cup 2nd Round
Opposition: Gateshead

Introduction

Of the last 12 seasons, this is now our 7th in the third tier. In those League One seasons we've only made the FA Cup 3rd round twice, and not since 2011/12. 

Twice we've faced Conference North opposition away from home, and on the TV. While Chris Powell's league winning side dispatched FC Halifax 4-0 in 2011, we don't need reminding of that dreadful day at Northwich Victoria, where Wayne Riley's late goal was enough to dump the Addicks out in 2009. Take non-league teams lightly at your peril.

I believe this will be our first ever appearance on ITV4, and literally hundreds of neutrals watching will all be hoping to see an upset. Its Jacko and the players' job for that not to happen.

Despite an upturn in form, a bad week on the road in the league has pushed the playoffs further out of reach, and there's never been a better time to take the cup competitions more seriously. The magic of the FA Cup seems to evaporate a little more every year, but it still means a lot to most fans.

The Opposition

Gateshead FC
Nickname - The Heed
Formed - 1977

5th in the National League North, with games in hand, Gateshead are going well.

3rd Qualifying Round
Runcorn Linnets 2-3 Gateshead (Ward, Langstaff, Scott)

4th Qualifying Round
Marske Utd 0-0 Gateshead
Gateshead 3-2 Marske Utd (Campbell, Scott, Ward)

1st Round
Gateshead 2-2 Altrincham (Campbell, Olley)
Altrincham 2-3 Gateshead (Langstaff 2, Ward)

Ex Premier League defender Mike Williamson is their player/manager, and has been at the helm for nearly 3 years. At 6"4, he will probably take it upon himself to deal with the aerial threat of Stockley on Friday night.

The midfield is full of former Newcastle academy players; Bailey, Ward and captain Greg Olley.

Macaulay Langstaff will lead the line, having scored an impressive 12 goals in 16 appearances this season, including 2 in the 1st round replay at Altrincham.

Cedwyn Scott is their second highest scorer (9 in 19). A prolific goalscoring tally with Hebburn Town at the start of last season saw a trial with Newcastle, before a short term contract with Carlisle in League Two.

Flame Haired Adam Campbell may be recognisable to some as another former Newcastle player, who made a handful of first team appearances before spells in League Two with Notts County and Morecambe.

Danger Men - Langstaff & Scott

Team News

Can't see anything other than Jackson putting out the 1st team for this one, with the exception of Henderson getting a go between the sticks.

There may be a couple of other surprises depending on fitness, and with half an eye on Tuesday night's home game with Ipswich.

I expect Purrington to return to his wing back role. If Pearce isn't fit to return, then either Gunter or Elerewe will slot into the back line.

Leko is still making his way back to fitness, so he's likely to have to settle for a place on the bench.

My predicted team:

Henderson

Clare  Elerewe  Famewo
Jaiyesimi                          Purrington
                   Dobson
            Gilbey         Lee

Stockley     Washington

Prediction

3-1 and safe passage into Monday's 3rd round draw. A bit of excitement before the familiar comfort of drawing Huddersfield away in the 3rd Round.

Comments

• Great review. 1-3 win on TV - yes unusual but need to get winning mentality established
  • 0-2. Early goal is what is needed.
  • That team is too strong for my liking! But needs must. 
  • cabbles said:
    Great review mate.  Play our strongest team, match them for effort and imo this is a must win.  I think it would be a big setback if we got beat.  

If it comes to a choice would much prefer us to beat Ipswich on Tuesday.
  • Sadly it never works like that. As underlined by results from:

Plymouth/Rotherham

Morecambe/Shrewsbury 

Maybe we just need to regathed our moment. 
  • edited December 2021
    Good preview - thanks

Having been at the Northwich match there is no way I'll predict a result :)
  • Good review. I reckon your match review will get more likes then away fans at the game. 
  • Don't think you stray too far from the league side tbh, get ahead hopefully make the game safe and make subs from there, if we can keep them out I'd like to think a 0-3 progression to the next round is achievable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Like many have said already, start with a strong team and establish a solid lead as early as possible, then make the subs. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    Like many have said already, start with a strong team and establish a solid lead as early as possible, then make the subs. 
    this 100% 
  • They have a player called Langstaff and a player called Danny Greenfield. Do you think their fans argue over whio is better?
    No, just who has the best house.
  • Is ITV4 available anywhere at above 1980’s resolution?
  • If JJ wants the job he cant really afford to let us lose this game. He will I am sure play a strong team.
  • Assume a fair few will be watching this in the Bugle or Royal Oak? 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Is ITV4 available anywhere at above 1980’s resolution?
    It's in HD on Sky and Virgin. I'm not sure whether the ITV Hub streaming service would give a better picture than the regular SD one
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not sure I'd want to play Elewere if I could avoid it, you'd imagine that Gateshead would target him with some physical stuff

I suppose an option is the play Purrington at the back and bring CBT or Souare on the left
  • going to see Pete Tong at the O2 on Friday - i'm assuming he'll have the match on the big screen behind him - insomnia banger kicks in as we score 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Is ITV4 available anywhere at above 1980’s resolution?
    It's in HD on Sky and Virgin. I'm not sure whether the ITV Hub streaming service would give a better picture than the regular SD one

I find the itv hub gives a better picture on my 4k TV. I use the itv hub app installed on the TV itself.
  • colthe3rd said:

Nice to see he got some cans for the train.
    jacko did say to get back and help his mates out 
  • Draw at 18/5 looks overpriced