Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham away [15/1/22] Advance train tickets

Advance singles priced at £18.40 [£12.10] available on the 08.35 Departure From Paddington Arrive Cheltenham Spa 11.29 & the same price on most return trains.
Prices increase to £33.40 [£22.10] on the 09.32 departure arr 12,28 or £25.00 [£16.50] on the 10.35 departure arr 13.28
The journey includes a rail replacement bus service between Reading/Swindon in both directions.
Railcard fares in brackets

Comments

• Options
    The station is around 2-3 miles from the (beautiful)town centre.
  • Options
    I've tried finding another route via Birmingham or Worcester, but that's also long and expensive.

Any other ideas? With the rail replacement you spend the best(?) part of 2 hours between Swindon and Reading.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    I've tried finding another route via Birmingham or Worcester, but that's also long and expensive.

Any other ideas? With the rail replacement you spend the best(?) part of 2 hours between Swindon and Reading.
    The 08.35 arrives Reading 08.58, bus departs 09.10 arrives Swindon 10.15, train departs 10.28.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information Clive. Will wait to see the FA Cup draw before deciding on this one. Bus replacement option does seem grim.
  • Options
    That’s a complete pain that there is rail replacement for this game - I’m planning on going to this one - might drive instead 
  • Options
    I might drive as well

The ground is a fair distance from the station, but that's because the station is west of the town and the ground northeast, rather than because the ground is a log way out
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

The route via Worcester does seem to be the quickest way there

Depart Padd 08:50 Arrive Worcester 10:51
    Depart Worc 10:58 Arrive Cheltenham 11:14
  • Options
    I might drive as well

The ground is a fair distance from the station, but that's because the station is west of the town and the ground northeast, rather than because the ground is a log way out
    In that case I will cadge a lift off you, so I can have my usual match day beers 😉
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

I've closed all my windows, I think that's via Worcestershire Parkway? It's an option but has tight connections in both directs, and is the middle of nowhere so not ideal for a 60 minute wait.

I think I'll wait and see where we are with Covid then you can use a Network Railcard to at least get a third off the London/Kent to Reading parts.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    RedPanda said:

I've closed all my windows, I think that's via Worcestershire Parkway? It's an option but has tight connections in both directs, and is the middle of nowhere so not ideal for a 60 minute wait.

I think I'll wait and see where we are with Covid then you can use a Network Railcard to at least get a third off the London/Kent to Reading parts.
    Helpfully, Worcester Parkway is in the Network Railcard area (unlike Swindon) so that is going to be my preferred route.  The 16 minute hop to Cheltenham is then a slightly overpriced £9 return
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:

This is the trip we’re doing on the way out, seem to have to do the rail replacement route via Reading on the way back unfortunately.
  • Options
    Booked and coming back via Worcestershire Parkway aswell. £26 with railcard and avoid replacement buses. Can't complain.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    RedPanda said:
    RedPanda said:

Helpfully, Worcester Parkway is in the Network Railcard area (unlike Swindon) so that is going to be my preferred route.  The 16 minute hop to Cheltenham is then a slightly overpriced £9 return

I can only only seem to get that applied on a return journey rather than two singles (which is cheaper than a return with rail card).

Every away game in this division feels like a pain to get to.
  • Options
    Have booked Euston to Birmingham and then Birmingham to Cheltenham 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    CatAddick said:
    RedPanda said:
    RedPanda said:

I can only only seem to get that applied on a return journey rather than two singles (which is cheaper than a return with rail card).

Every away game in this division feels like a pain to get to.
    Even more painful watching it.